Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prison Break

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miski

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Prison Break Reply with quote

One school in Kuwait is now making is staff complete sheets , ironically called "Time Out" sheets when a member of staff wants to leave school and do some business- ministry, embassy, hospital etc.

Not such a bad thing you might say, but why the sudden urge to monitor staff's whereabouts? Somewhere in the recent months did a teacher wander off to the Ministry of Finance and leave a class of Year 4s unattended? If not , what prompted this action and does it also cover the admin staff ?

On a more disturbing note, the school in question tells its staff that they may only have 3 hours a month for any such business and any hours over this will be deducted from salaries- even though ( and correct me if I'm wrong) Kuwaiti law says workers may have time off when necessary to conduct ministry business. (The guy in question who wrote the " Policy Document" has obviously never been into any of the Ministry departments in Farwaniya). Takes you three hours to get a number.......

Teachers of Kuwait unite- you have nothing to lose but your indemnity.......
Rommel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Prison Break Reply with quote

miski wrote:
. (The guy in question who wrote the " Policy Document" has obviously never been into any of the Ministry departments .......

I just spent a fun-filled day trying to get my car registered. I highly recommend that experience to all. I had a blast! Waited in line for 1 1/2 hours, only to have the guy tell me, "Halass! Come back tomorrow!"
Poor guy was dead tired from his 2 hour shift!
miski

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rommel- exactly, so re this school in Kuwait, you've only got 1 hour left this month to complete your business or you will be docked pay- irrelevent that your business dpends on how fast the guy on the other side of the glass can drink his tea.....

The Arab Times replied to the questo thus:

'Firstly, there is no such law and it all depends on individual institutions. But �good� institutions have such provisions and allow their staff to complete such important work which can�t be done after office hours. On the other hand some �rotten� institutions derive pleasure in squeezing everything out of their staff not realizing they can be sued if failure by one of the staff to complete a certain job results in some health problem or violation of the law.

Secondly, on the question of deductions from salary and indemnity, this depends on individual institutions. These institutions are required to inform their staff if they have such rules.

And lastly if there is any doubt about any rule, you can approach the Private Education Department in Salmiya.�

Nice answer- but it sounds to me as if "Mr Arab Times Legal Clinic" has himsel been on the brunt of a blood squeezing employer.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: