Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any chance at all? If so, how?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
down under

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Any chance at all? If so, how? Reply with quote

Hi All!

OK, apologies if this is the bog-standard question, but I really want to teach next year in the Middle East.

Qualifications:
BA (Hons) degree majoring in English Literature, University of Sydney
Cambridge-Approved TESOL certificate (course finishing in January, or can extend it part-time to end of March)

Because I have no experience of teaching English overseas, I can see it is all but impossible to land a job in the ME. But I really want to go to the UAE/Kuwait, even Iraq.

Is there any chance at all of getting a job next year? If so, how?

Would a site like JoyJobs be any practical help at all, given that I do not have prior teaching experience? Or just a waste of money?

If not the Middle East, what do you think the best prospects would be for saving a chunk of cash next year ie: high pay, low living costs? My interest lies in the middle east so if I can't go there, I might as well get top dollar.

Cleopatra: Due to your organisation having difficulty finding women (and I am female) , could the KSA be a possibility?

Paul: you have just had the experience of throwing out a whole load of CVs so I think you might have good advice!

Thanks a lot, your forum is really informative.

Alison
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you SURE that you don't ahve teaching experience ? Didn't you teach part-time when you were a student ? Take the creative approach when preparing a cv. If necessary attend a course in the writing of fiction.
down under

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I tutored some students in high-school English, and that is actually true, I don't have to make that up. Does that count?

I'd be scared to make up fictions for the Middle East ! But do you think there is any chance and if so , how ? Don't want to fork out for the course if I'm not going to get a job next year out of it. Do you think JoyJobs is a good start or just money for nothing?
Mark100

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go to Asia if i was you as the jobs that you are likely to get in The Middle East with your background and quals would be at the bottom of the ladder and not really worth taking.
As was mentioned you could fabricate some work experience but the fact the you have only recently fininshed your Cert ificate means that you are limited in what you can get away with.(I would not do it myself )
Japan, Korea or Taiwan would better suit you and you would have a better time and make just as much money.
Not sure how old you are but the ME maybe a better option further down the track.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'ts true that my place found it hard to get foreign female teachers, but the majority of places in KSA now have a policy of hiring Saudi women only. In any case, there are far fewer jobs for female EFL teachers than for male, and the universities - even if they would take a foreign woman - will probably require an MAand experience.

i agree with Mark: look elsewhere for work at the moment. When you've got more experience, maybe then you could try the ME if you still want to. Of course, there's nothing to stop you trying to find ajob if you want to, but I'd say realistically your chances aren't that great.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: JoyJobs ? Reply with quote

JoyJobs ? Never heard of them.

It is difficult for female candidates in the ME. There is still some residual belief in the efficacy of native speakers but there is HUGE pressure from local candidates to provide employment for them.

You might have a better chance in the UAE but without experience..............................................................
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down Under,

The UAE jobs that would hire you with your background would NOT be places that you would want to be. Plus the pay will be low. In order to get the high pay jobs in the ME you must have a good educational background and a few years of experience. And - you better by able to prove that experience. Most employers that I worked for wanted 'letters of employment' from all previous employers and if you didn't provide one that experience was excluded.

The Middle East is not for beginners to this field. The best advice has already been given, go to Asia and learn the job - and have much more fun probably.

Oh - never heard of Joy jobs, but definitely stay away from recruiters in the ME - go directly to the institutions for any job there. All of the best jobs are advertised directly.

VS
down under

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

Thank you everybody for your replies!

OK, I have discovered that I may be able to get a couple of months teaching experience in Australia first at teh place I am doing my CELTA certificate, AND then I can fib on my resume and stretch it out to a couple of years. True I do not have an MA but my BA Hons is in English Literature and I have worked as a sub-editor so these fields are related (unlike say: chemistry). I also have the advantage of a couple of contacts in the middle east through the teacher of the CELTA course: so what are my chances now - have they improved? I really don't want to go to Asia, I am much more interested in the ME.

I just have to walk down the road for Asia, I live in Sydney!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry downunder, doesn't change a thing we all told you as far as I can see. Smile

VS
MacMahon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Middle East is where you'd like to be, as is clear, and you find an opening that's satisfactory, GO FOR IT? It's not a one way journey. Take benefit from the advice posted in various threads by the more experienced ones on selecting jobs and so on... The decision "Is yours"
Mark100

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as you are in Sydney i can give you a Saudi recruiter contact number who is located in Bligh St Sydney.
He may be able to help you.
PM me for details
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down under

The Gulfis not a place where you can get away with 'fibbing on your resume'. they take documents very seriously here and they WILL verify all your qualifications and work experience. Anyway, even if you did get away with lieing (most unliekly - where would you invent those extra years from?) they will still want you to have an MA for all decent jobs. I know this because I've tried to apply - and, despite having years of experience incl. some in the Gulf - I still got turned down.

If you're serious about getting a job here, then get yourself a Masters and some decent experience. Otherwise, remember that there's a whole world of Efl out there, and the Gulf will still be here in a few years ... well, maybe...
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The market is MUCH toghre here for females than males. For years now local univesrities have been producing female graduates. Many of them expect to work. The places where they can work are limited. Teaching is avenue number one for local ladies into employment.

So you had better have pretty convincing qualifications and experience.
down under

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: thanks a lot! Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies once again,

Particularly Samet and Dave who mailed me: I have not worked out how to reply (ok a little clueless but i'm at work and don't have time to fiddle with it to work it out). Your mails were really really helpful!

samet: turkey is an option I had not thought of but will consider

Dave: ty for the tip about Oman, will look at that too: that is nearer to what I'd like. Also Korean horror stories could be a go!

AM still researching, november december is my CELTA course: if all else fails I can go to Japan. though i don't really want to
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: