Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

illegal partner - can we live together?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
akaye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: illegal partner - can we live together? Reply with quote

my partner and i will be arriving in Tokyo very soon. we currently have nowhere to stay for our first month or so - can anyone suggest a good Gaijin House please?

Also, but no less important. She will be working illegally, whilst I hope to get sponsorship and accomodation provided with my job. How should I broach the subject that I have a partner with me, and that we want to live together? Is this a minefield, or a common and understandable situation?
Sherri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, sorry I can't help you with the gaijin house question. Maybe someone else knows some to recommend.

Some questions for you:
1. Why do you have to have a job that provides accomodation? You can stay in a gaijin house until you have saved enough to move to your own place. That would solve a lot of problems. It depends on your employers but I seriously doubt any reputable employer would accept having an illegal immigrant on the lease.

2. How can you be so sure that your girlfriend will be able to find work? It is quite hard to work here illegally. You didn't mention your nationality but for example for Americans, tourists get 90 days non-renewable. That means your girlfriend would have to leave the country every 90 days risking the scrutiny of immigration every time she comes back (presumably on her own, since you will be working). Of course by working illegally she is also risking getting caught and being deported. Not a very nice position to put your girlfriend in is it?

Before you come rushing here, do some homework and look into alternative visas for your girlfriend. (I am guessing she doesn't have a degree or else she could get sponsorship.) If you get married, she could have a dependent's visa. Also try looking into pre-student visas for studying Japanese fulltime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: