Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What`s the feasibility of this? (Granada in Jan.)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tracerbullet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: What`s the feasibility of this? (Granada in Jan.) Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have a standing job offer to work at a hostel in Granada for a few months, beginning in Jan. It`s not paid, but I`d get free room and board. As you know, just being in the country is half the battle, and I figure the hostel job is a good way to save some money while I`m looking for a teaching job in the area. I just had a few questions about the feasibility of this adventure:

1) What`s the job market like in Spain right now? Would I be able to get hired at a school or institute? (Under-the-table, of course--I have no hopes of working legally). If not (or if I don`t get many hours), would private tutoring of students (putting up fliers at the university, etc.) be an option? (Keep in mind that I`d be coming in January.)

2) What`s the average wage like for a teacher in Andalucia (both for schools and for private tutors)? Or more to the point: is it high enough (and the cost of living there low enough) that I could support myself?

3) One last note: how is the typical teaching environment in Spain? One thing I don`t really like much about my situation here in Mexico is the unprofessional environment in the schools---students coming in late all the time, having people in higher-level classes that really don`t know enough to be there but whose previous teachers didn`t care enough to fail them, teachers getting little to no support from superiors, etc. Is this just a Mexico thing, or is that how it goes in English classes worldwide? Because if things were more professional in Spain, that`d be a huge draw for me.

Thank you for your help and I look forward to your responses!
bejarano

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: What`s the feasibility of this? (Granada in Jan.) Reply with quote

Quote:
Hello all,

I have a standing job offer to work at a hostel in Granada for a few months, beginning in Jan. It`s not paid, but I`d get free room and board. As you know, just being in the country is half the battle, and I figure the hostel job is a good way to save some money while I`m looking for a teaching job in the area. I just had a few questions about the feasibility of this adventure:

If you have read myself and spiral and scot47 and decide etc you will know the chances of you getting paid work is not that brilliant though not impossible. You are probably best off searching for paid work in the cities like Madrid and Barcelona - what you have to remember is your competition is immense - there are thousands and I mean thousands - of Brits in Spain who are looking for the same kinds of jobs as you.

What work you will get is the flotsam and jetsam of the TEFL industry, sure you might get equal pay to a British TEFL teacher but you have no rights, no social security, you have nothing.

Quote:
1) What`s the job market like in Spain right now? Would I be able to get hired at a school or institute? (Under-the-table, of course--I have no hopes of working legally). If not (or if I don`t get many hours), would private tutoring of students (putting up fliers at the university, etc.) be an option? (Keep in mind that I`d be coming in January.)

What I would do is check the boards at TEFL dot come and see what they are looking for. They aren't in any great rush to hire North Americans - it is not fair and I know you are as good as teacher as a Brit but no-one is going to go out of the way to employ you. Have you got something more than the average young graduate from the UK who is looking for work in Spain? MAs? lots of experience?

Quote:
2) What`s the average wage like for a teacher in Andalucia (both for schools and for private tutors)? Or more to the point: is it high enough (and the cost of living there low enough) that I could support myself?

Come with money, don't come on the back of your arse with no cash. Moore says 2000 Euros is enough, Spain is getting more expensive by the month and I'd come with at least 10,000 Euros (15,000 dollars) first of all the average wage of a Spaniard is not high, secondly TEFL wages are even less than that, third you don't have any medical care, social security or anything else to back you up. You are going to need money if you are working 'el negro' and you are going to need lots of it.

Quote:
3) One last note: how is the typical teaching environment in Spain? One thing I don`t really like much about my situation here in Mexico is the unprofessional environment in the schools---students coming in late all the time, having people in higher-level classes that really don`t know enough to be there but whose previous teachers didn`t care enough to fail them, teachers getting little to no support from superiors, etc. Is this just a Mexico thing, or is that how it goes in English classes worldwide? Because if things were more professional in Spain, that`d be a huge draw for me.

So you are expecting a professional attitude from an employer who knows you are an illegal? You are joking?

You are going to be exposed, working for crappy pay, with no legal rights against exploitative employers who'll hire someone fresh someone off a boat if its cost effective before giving you the boot and if you do get a good employer then you are very, very lucky. But let me ask you this, what are you going to do if you get ill? or get sacked? or your landlord just throws you out into the street?

I'll give you some good advice.

Go to South Korea where as a North American you should land a plum teaching gig. Save the money and come to Spain, go to Madrid or Barcelona where you will be one guiri in a million, stay for a year or so, find work (it will be crap but at least you are not relying on the wage to live) teach privates, rent a room, take a look around Spain and go back home.

Europe as an illegal is not a long term gig without serious cash injection.
tracerbullet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

The prospect of working illegally in Spain, in and of itself, doesn`t really frighten me, because it`s exactly the same situation I`m in right now in Mexico. I`m working illegally at a school here, making peanuts (50 pesos an hour, which is only about $5 US, for 25 hours, for a grand total of $500 US a month), with no job security, no benefits---basically, everything that you mentioned about Spain, I`m already experiencing here.

Fortunately, I do have medical insurance from my parents in the U.S. that`s valid here (and I assume Spain, although maybe that`s not a safe assumption) so at least I don`t have to worry about that.

And yes, I have done a lot of research into working in Spain and I know that it`s tough to get a job, and whatever I do get will be scraping the bottom of the barrel. But like I said, it`s not like I have some cushy job here in Mexico, and all I really care about is whether I can earn enough to get by. I just want to be in Spain and the teaching job is a way to deflect some of the costs associated with that.

As for Barcelona and Madrid---I know that these are the biggest cities, and therefore have the most opportunities, but I also know that they have the most competition (as you mentioned), and it seems like those two things would cancel each other out. Granada is smaller, with less schools, but I`m hoping that also means less competition, and (hopefully) more chances of me finding something. Not to mention the fact that I`ve heard it`s significantly cheaper to live there. What I want to know is whether those things are true---are my chances better in Granada, and is it cheaper to live there?

And thanks for the tip about S. Korea---I have some friends who are doing that exact same thing in fact---but since my goal is to improve my Spanish by being in a Spanish-speaking country, S. Korea isn`t really a viable option. And also, I`m not expecting to make teaching English a career, so 6 months in Spain (until the end of the school year in June) would be fine by me.
Moore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your chances of finding a job are best in Madrid. This is because, like in many countries, companies mostly locate their head offices in the capital city. Since what you're really aiming at is a large population of people with a need for English, then you want to aim for people working for major offices of companies where most international communication is done, as opposed to in a much smaller regional office.

Fluent English is fast becoming vital and not just a plus on a cv which everyone used to put down as "fluent" knowing they were far from it: more and more companies here conduct their job interviews in English (my girlfriend was just looking for a new job and she was surprised how many did so).

We just expanded our schools database in Madrid for the new season and the new total is 194 schools and they exist for a good reason: the demand is there.

You're right when you say there are a lot of foreigners here, but believe me, there is a definite shortage of good teachers here. Every single person I've talked to here in Madrid who has lived in smaller cities finds life much easier here in terms of work, stability and money (and it's not that fantastic here, stable-income wise!)

Arriving as you are in January, you need to have as many possibilities open to you as you can, as many of the groups already have teachers assigned to them until June. Also as someone whose papers may not be 100% in order, Madrid is a good place for North Americans to find work. If one in two schools employs non-legals, then you want to have as many schools as possible to choose from.

All that said, Madrid is relatively expensive and far from the beach, and Granada is a fantastic city, but I really would give some serious thought to starting off in Madrid and then moving down there when you have a better feel for the teaching market here in Spain and in Granada.
tracerbullet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Moore, thanks for the reply.

What you say about Madrid makes sense---I would imagine the opportunities are better. But again, I know it`s also very expensive to live there.

In your opinion, then, do you think that by knocking on enough doors, I could find something in Madrid? I majored in Spanish, minor in English, I have 6 months experience working with little kids (in a bilingual environment) in the U.S., and by the time I get to Spain, I'll have taught at this school here in Mexico for 4 months. I`m also hoping to get my TEFL certification before then. I know this isn`t much, but is it enough?

Also, do you think the money I could make in Madrid would be enough for me to be able to get by (i.e. do the wages outpace cost of living)? That`s really all I care about---not having to pay to live in the country. Obviously, I don`t expect to save much, and neither do I expect to live like a king, but as long as I can cover the basic expenses (room and board) I�ll be happy. Is this feasible?

This is why I would start in Granada---this hostel job seems like a great way to keep front-end expenses down during that expensive period without a teaching position, when I have to rely on my own savings. Maybe I won`t end up there, but it seems like a great home base at least.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Moore, and wanted to also add that it's easier to get by as an illegal when you stand out less from the crowd - and that's Madrid for illegal English teachers.

One more caution - if anything catastrophic happens, and you are found to be living/working illegally, it's highly unlikely that your parent's health insurance will pay. The company would almost certainly see your illegal status as a condition that would nullify any benefits.

You would always receive emergency care, but the bills afterwards would likely be yours to pay.

If you're going, look both ways carefully when crossing the street!! Shocked
tracerbullet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I agree with Moore, and wanted to also add that it's easier to get by as an illegal when you stand out less from the crowd - and that's Madrid for illegal English teachers.

One more caution - if anything catastrophic happens, and you are found to be living/working illegally, it's highly unlikely that your parent's health insurance will pay. The company would almost certainly see your illegal status as a condition that would nullify any benefits.

You would always receive emergency care, but the bills afterwards would likely be yours to pay.

If you're going, look both ways carefully when crossing the street!! Shocked

Hmm....that`s a good point. I hadn`t thought about that. I should look into that, because I`m working illegally in Mexico right now and it`d probably be the same thing. Although, looking at it another way, that makes it not such a big deal to switch countries, I suppose... Confused
tracerbullet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, everyone---they�ve been very helpful. One thing that I haven�t heard yet is how much I can expect to make in Spain. I`ve heard people on this forum complaining about earning 1000 euros a month, but I`m getting paid 5000 pesos a month here in Mexico (that`s about $500 US) so 1000 euros seems like plenty to me. But again, I don`t know what cost of living is like over there. Is that enough to live on, you think?

Let me know what you think and thanks again for all your help so far.
bejarano

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tracerbullet wrote:
Thanks for the comments, everyone---they�ve been very helpful. One thing that I haven�t heard yet is how much I can expect to make in Spain. I`ve heard people on this forum complaining about earning 1000 euros a month, but I`m getting paid 5000 pesos a month here in Mexico (that`s about $500 US) so 1000 euros seems like plenty to me. But again, I don`t know what cost of living is like over there. Is that enough to live on, you think?

Let me know what you think and thanks again for all your help so far.

Depends what kind of person you are, if you want a social life or to eat out a couple of times a week or go and see around the place it is not enough.

Spain is getting more and more expensive by the month, also I wouldn't trust the landlords to not rip you off out of your deposit or just throw you out on a whim as far as you can throw them, especially if you are an illegal American with no back up.

If you come with less than 15,000 (USD) you are asking for trouble.

I've told you what to do, go to South Korea - get the funds and then come to Spain.

Do not come with a borderline budget. You just need to get stung once (get fired, get deported, get ill, being made homeless or a combination of these factors) and you are going to be in big trouble.

Still - You'll do what you want in the end! Cool
tracerbullet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I talked to another teacher who�s in Madrid and she gave me some great information which, combined with what I�ve learned here, makes it sound like I could definitely get by in Spain no sweat.

But I�ve still got this standing offer in Granada, so I�m wondering if anyone on this forum who�s in Granada (or who knows someone in Granada) can tell me anything about the local teaching scene there. Or maybe I could take a TEFL course there and then move to Madrid in Feb, or would the market be closed up by then? Or, maybe I just skip the hostel thing altogether and head straight for Madrid first thing?

Again, any help would be much appreciated!
bejarano

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tracerbullet wrote:
Okay, so I talked to another teacher who�s in Madrid and she gave me some great information which, combined with what I�ve learned here, makes it sound like I could definitely get by in Spain no sweat.

But I�ve still got this standing offer in Granada, so I�m wondering if anyone on this forum who�s in Granada (or who knows someone in Granada) can tell me anything about the local teaching scene there. Or maybe I could take a TEFL course there and then move to Madrid in Feb, or would the market be closed up by then? Or, maybe I just skip the hostel thing altogether and head straight for Madrid first thing?

I'm in Madrid also, I'm telling you now. if you come without 15,000 dollars as a non EU citizen looking for work, you are an idiot.

I'm sorry we haven't come up with the anwsers that you want to hear but thats how it is.

Anyone telling you different is not doing any favours at all. However if you ask enough people you will end up with the anwsers you want to hear but it is a fallacy and an irritating habit that most people grow out of in their teenage years.

Good luck with your venture - but don't go crying to anyone if it goes *beep* up because you was warned plenty.

Some people won't be told. Cool
tracerbullet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bejarano wrote:
tracerbullet wrote:

I'm in Madrid also, I'm telling you now. if you come without 15,000 dollars as a non EU citizen looking for work, you are an idiot.

I'm sorry we haven't come up with the anwsers that you want to hear but thats how it is.

Anyone telling you different is not doing any favours at all. However if you ask enough people you will end up with the anwsers you want to hear but it is a fallacy and an irritating habit that most people grow out of in their teenage years.

Good luck with your venture - but don't go crying to anyone if it goes *beep* up because you was warned plenty.

Some people won't be told. Cool

Okay bejarano, I get it----I need a lot of money. But I don�t know where you�re getting this figure of 15,000 dollars. You talk about me asking around for the answers I "want" to hear, but frankly, your assessment of the situation is nowhere near anything that *anyone* else has told me, on this forum or elsewhere (and I�ve talked to quite a few), so pardon me if I take it with a grain of salt.

And even if you were right, money isn�t what I asked about here. I�m trying to get some hard info about the situation on the ground, but you just keep hammering on the 15,000 dollars thing and to be honest, I think it�s derailing the thread a bit. (The fact that you keep promoting S. Korea when I�ve already told you that my goal is to improve my Spanish by being in a Spanish-speaking country also makes me tend to think that perhaps you�re not really paying attention to what I�m writing.)

Last edited by tracerbullet on Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
Moore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't leave it any later than January or there is a risk you will miss any new classes that start up. Also, don't forget that you basically have Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr/May/Jun, so 6 months to earn cash in before the whole thing starts winding down for summer and it's time to head for the coasts to do summer camps to survive over summer. You can get a bit of work in July, but almost nothing in August in Madrid.

Maybe summer might be a good time to take that hostel offer up as it's a peak time for hostels, and then come back to Madrid in September and pick up more work?
tracerbullet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moore wrote:
I wouldn't leave it any later than January or there is a risk you will miss any new classes that start up. Also, don't forget that you basically have Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr/May/Jun, so 6 months to earn cash in before the whole thing starts winding down for summer and it's time to head for the coasts to do summer camps to survive over summer. You can get a bit of work in July, but almost nothing in August in Madrid.

Maybe summer might be a good time to take that hostel offer up as it's a peak time for hostels, and then come back to Madrid in September and pick up more work?

Yeah, I�m beginning to wonder if the hostel job might not be more hassle than it�s worth. I mean, it doesn�t seem to make sense to be in Granada when all the jobs are in Madrid. But on the other hand, the hostel saves me money, and I�m worried about running out of funds being in Madrid for too long without a job. Also, I�d like to try my hand at private tutoring, instead of a school job, if I could (seems like a better market and better pay, though less job stability, obviously). This being the case, maybe it doesn�t matter so much when I start looking? What do you think?
bejarano

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay bejarano, I get it----I need a lot of money.

Yes. lots and lots and lots of money. In fact too much is never enough when you are an illegal.

But I don�t know where you�re getting this figure of 15,000 dollars. You talk about me asking around for the answers I "want" to hear, but frankly, your assessment of the situation is nowhere near anything that *anyone* else has told me, on this forum or elsewhere (and I�ve talked to quite a few), so pardon me if I take it with a grain of salt.

Take on board that you will be getting paid less, you are not on the national health insurance, you are not liable for unemployment benefits if you get the sack and in fact are more vunerable than the typical Morrocan/Senegalese immigrant in Spain, not only do you not have a big social network backing you but you are also open to exploitaton from bosses, landlords, the law.

Anything happens to you, either yourself or your parents will be paying through their backsides bailing you out, and I'm not advocating a paticulary large sum. 10,000 Euros to set yourself up.

Besides, have you ever been here? I have been here 3 years and most of my mothers sides of the family emigrated (illegally) from Peru to Spain all throughout the 1990s. They all came to a big support network here with money (from the sale of property) and they needed every penny so I know all about setting yourself up here more than you or any of your mates. Cool

And even if you were right, money isn�t what I asked about here.

Son, money is such a big part of you sinking or swimming as in regards to living and being ale to stay in Spain as an illegal that you cannot ignore the 'mucho dinero' element. The fact you are trying to ignore it speaks volumes about how you might cope if a crisis arrives.

I�m trying to get some hard info about the situation on the ground, but you just keep hammering on the 15,000 dollars thing and to be honest, I think it�s derailing the thread a bit.

I challenge anyone living in Europe now who posts on here to state I'm talking out of my arse - a big wide open challenge to everyone on here.
I can't state this enough, You are not coming to Thailand to live, you are coming to one of the most expensive countries in the world to live. You need money and lots of it!

(The fact that you keep promoting S. Korea when I�ve already told you that my goal is to improve my Spanish by being in a Spanish-speaking country also makes me tend to think that perhaps you�re not really paying attention to what I�m writing.)[/quote]

Look mate, I'm not telling you not to come, you come if you want. I couln't give a monkeys if you make your coin teaching in Korea, China, Vanuatu or rob a bank before coming coming here but if you don't and you get dropped on your arse big time (getting sacked, becoming ill etc) you are going to know about it.

I couldn't give a toss what you do mate, it aint me thats going to land in the wires because I have not listened to good advice thats been given freely. but I'll lay down a pepsi challenge here - you bring here any of the teachers who you have got better advice off who can contradict anything I have said on this thread.
Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: