Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

trying to learn czech
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ha'anala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: trying to learn czech Reply with quote

I'm planning on going to the Czech Republic next year. I am trying to start learning some Czech now with the hope of at least being able to "get by" until I can improve my language skills. Unfortunately there just aren't a ton of people trying to learn Czech, so I'm having a hard time finding a good program to use. Does anyone know of any good books/tapes/computer programs that would help me out? I'm really looking for a Czech language computer program, but I'm not having much luck.
Mark-O

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I can't be of any help on this one. But I read that czech is one of the hardest languages one could learn. Apparently, other than being born into the language, then very few people actually bother to learn/speak it because of its difficulty, compounded with its limited use outside of the Czech Republic.

Good for you in avoiding the all too typical arrogance of being a native english speaker and trying to come to terms with the local dialect!
Mark-O

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. Do you have a Borders bookstore nearby? I went to my local one the other day and the language section held several books and discs pertaining to czech language learning. Borders is usually excellent for language resources - give it a try.
denise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Mark-O's praise. Yes, it is a difficult language. After two years there, I could have *very* broken conversations about superficial topics(a Czech person: "What did you do over the weekend?", me: "Me see movie..." Well, maybe not quite that bad!)

I picked up a book/tape set to study before I headed over there--I think it was just called "Teach Yourself Czech," or "Teach it Yourself." It wasn't the greatest, but it was a start.

Once you're over there, you should be able to do conversation exchanges--many of the expat teachers at my school had regular meetings with conversation partners. You might also try looking for a job in a school that will provide free or subsidized lessons--see if they're included in your contract.

Good luck!
d
Wanbro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha yes, the language seemingly made of nothing but consonants...

Try getting hold of 'Colloquial Czech' - they have editions with cassettes and I think now with CD Roms - I found it a much more useful book in learnign the language than many others since it tackles situations you're likely to find yourself in... It's certainly not Mickey Mouse though, so you'll have to use your brain when the book doesnt lead you through every little problem by the hand!!!

Good luck, hats off to you.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: learning languages Reply with quote

"I read that czech is one of the hardest languages one could learn. Apparently, other than being born into the language....................."

It is no more difficult than Latin or Russian. It is a Indo-European language so the grammatical structure is similar to at least one language that you know. There is much lexis in common too with English, French and German.

Mandarin, Thai, Japanese, Mongolian, Turkish. Those are DIFFICULT.
Mark-O

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... add Hungarian, Finnish and Arabic to that list also.
guty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grammar may not be any more complicated than latin, but the pronunciation, for a native English speaker, is. Personally I like my vowels to come inbetween consonants, not at the end of the word, when its already too late.
Of course it has the advantage over Russian of being written in our script.
It does take a while to get anywhere, but many Czechs appreciate the effort
ha'anala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's going to be easy, but it doesn't seem too much harder than many other languages. It appears very similar to Polish and Russian-it seems they share at least some common words.

That book, "Colloquial Czech", does it actually teach grammar or do you just memorize phrases? Almost all of the language programs that I've found just teach you to memorize certain phrases.

Apparently in Czech they just change the verb/noun/adjective depending on the case/number/gender. That may be a bit conusing...oh well, hopefully it will get easier once I'm hearing people speak it every day.

We did get some Czech dvd's to watch...at least it gives us a chance to hear some real conversations in the language.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: lingo Reply with quote

"Of course it has the advantage over Russian of being written in our script"

In learning Russian theCyrillic alphabet is not a major problem. Some people look at it and shie away. But then with TEFLers we are speaking of people who so often seem to be monoglots ! Why does this profession attract so many people who have never learnt a foreign language ?

I know that the grave deficiences in the educational systems of the US and UK include an inablity to transmit knowledge of other tongues, but I would have thought that people who want to teach langauge would themsleves have achieved some level of competence at least in school French or school Spanish.

Last edited by scot47 on Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:45 am; edited 2 times in total
jud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, well,

I generally try not to gauge the language abilities of others. Nor to judge their deficiencies. Not so interested in them-sleeves either.
dmb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guty, is it true that you are 'on holiday' in Saudi?
guty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb,
will be there next week, saw Timber last week, trying to consume some serious alcohol before
Snoopy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Kingdom Reply with quote

Good luck in the contiguous Kingdom, Guty.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: nag Reply with quote

these postings just prior to this should have bee pm/s . Why post them for the world to read ?

nag, nag, nag.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: