Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JOBS IN DUBAI
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxwell999

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: JOBS IN DUBAI Reply with quote

Hi, i have one years teaching experience and a bachelors degree, i really want to teach in dubai but there doesnt seem to be any jobs available without a masters degree

any advice would be appreciated

thanks Nick
kiefer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your degree in? Do you have K-12 education certification? Do you have a CELTA? If not, try to pick one up--it'll open some doors for you here. I take it you're male--you would stand a decent chance with some sort of military posting provided you have some experience and the quals. Good luck.
trapezius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i really want to teach in dubai

That is such a general statement that it merits no response. And also you didn't tell us what your teaching experience is in, and what you degree is in.

You want to teach

K-12?
University?
ESL at university?
ESL at a language institute?
ESL at other (corporate, military, etc)

In general, you don't need a Master's degree for any of those, except for teaching academic subjects at a university, and sometimes also for ESL at university. Schools don't ask for Master's, but they need a teaching qualification. All ESL jobs require some kind of TESL qualification. Some good ones do require a Master's in addition to the TESL qualification, or a Master's in TESL.

What do you have?
What do you want?
What did you look at?
maxwell999

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sorry about my "general post" i currently teach in korea and most jobs advertise that they require the information that i just gave, a bachelors degree in any subject, 1 years teaching expericence anywhere etc etc etc

i have a degree in politics

i have 1 years experience teaching adults (4 per class. and 1 to 1) and teachign classes of up to 8 kids at a private language school

i want to teach adults in Dubai

if i get a CELTA certificate would it be possible to do this, also how can i get a cheap CELTA certificate? maybe in thailand or something?

thank so much for all the advice so far, i really appreciate it.
antonia v

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry maxwell999, but you need to get real. Judging from your sloppy spelling, bad grammar, bad syntax, bad punctuation and juvenile use of all lower case letters, it looks to me as if you should be studying English, not teaching it. You asked for advice, and I�m giving it to you. You can either think I�m an a**hole, or consider that your goal of teaching ESL in the UAE is unrealistic. The quality of students in the UAE is abysmal, but they have so much money they can afford to hire the best teachers.
maxwell999

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice antonio, it is helpful.

obviously all my mistakes are a mixture of laziness and typing error, i know that you should start sentences with capital letters but its is not the most efficient way to type and i have limited time because im working my arse of in korea at the moment.

if you think i have a serious problem with my english then please sned my e mails back with corrections

oh look im so stupid i cant spell sned, ive been teaching my students to spell it sned all this time, maybe i should stop teaching
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maxwell, you've learned the first lesson of the Mideast board section. When the majority of posters have been teaching English for many years and have MAs, they tend to demand proper English from their fellow teachers. Laughing We see enough sloppiness and laziness from the hundreds of essays that we read every week.

But, back to getting real. You were right from your original post. The Gulf is not the place for young beginners. As was mentioned, these are rich countries and can demand teachers with proper credentials and experience. If you really want to think about Dubai, first get a CELTA at the very minimum. With three or four years of experience, you will be eligible for the lower tier jobs. Also there are almost no conversation classes here, so this experience should be in teaching academic English, especially reading and writing. If you are serious about a career in this field, get an MA.

China and Korea still seems to be the place with the jobs for people at your level.

VS
maxwell999

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Well maxwell, you've learned the first lesson of the Mideast board section. When the majority of posters have been teaching English for many years and have MAs, they tend to demand proper English from their fellow teachers. Laughing We see enough sloppiness and laziness from the hundreds of essays that we read every week.

But, back to getting real. You were right from your original post. The Gulf is not the place for young beginners. As was mentioned, these are rich countries and can demand teachers with proper credentials and experience. If you really want to think about Dubai, first get a CELTA at the very minimum. With three or four years of experience, you will be eligible for the lower tier jobs. Also there are almost no conversation classes here, so this experience should be in teaching academic English, especially reading and writing. If you are serious about a career in this field, get an MA.

China and Korea still seems to be the place with the jobs for people at your level.

VS

thank you so much vieledsentiments, im certainly not serious about a career in teaching English. I think Korea is the best place for me, thank you so much for your help and advice.

Korea is the best place to teach English if you are in it for the money. I certainly am. I was hoping i could get Dubais climate aswell.

p.s i never got such rude replies when i posted this question on the singapore forum. Do teachers in Dubai look down on me?

IF ANYONE WANTS TO CORRECT THE ENGLISH PLEASE DO, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE WHERE I CAN IMPROVE. WHAT DOES SYNTAX MEAN?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxwell999 wrote:

p.s i never got such rude replies when i posted this question on the singapore forum. Do teachers in Dubai look down on me?

The short answer is yes. The majority of teachers in the Middle East are professionals who have done their homework and got the required academic credentials.

VS
The Lemon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxwell999 wrote:
Korea is the best place to teach English if you are in it for the money.

No.

Just, no.

Best place to teach English without any qualifications or experience in teaching, perhaps.
MTelmar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxwell999 wrote:

IF ANYONE WANTS TO CORRECT THE ENGLISH PLEASE DO, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE WHERE I CAN IMPROVE. WHAT DOES SYNTAX MEAN?

I really don't mean to be mean, but...
'What does syntax mean?'
From someone teaching English?

Ok, I'm just going to stop right here. I can't go there - there's no way not to come across mean and nasty and address this Embarassed

Btw, because I am a teacher after all, and can't just ignore a question, click on the link, read it, learn it, please don't ever ask for meaning of it again in any English-teaching (or related) environments... please, for the sake of all of us! (*MT runs off to get a tranquilizer*)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntax

Noelle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In defense of the OP,

I didn't even hear of syntax until I did a TEFL certificate a few years ago and I didn't learn what it actually was until I did my M.A. in TESOL.

I'm also in Korea and many of the teachers here do not know much if anything about ESL/EFL but some of them actually do their jobs well.

I do realize the UAE is a totally different kind of market.
trapezius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I didn't even hear of syntax until I did a TEFL certificate a few years ago and I didn't learn what it actually was until I did my M.A. in TESOL.

'Syntax' and 'semantics' are words from high school.

Some of you 'native' speakers are 'amazing'.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that those two terms have been taught in a US English class since I was in school... and we don't want to talk about the fact that this was in the 1960's. Embarassed

Nowadays only an English major at university will ever hear/see them.

VS
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i want to teach adults in Dubai

If the OP hasn't checked "I don't want to receive these messages any longer" by now: maxwell, if you're in eSL teaching for the fun, enjoy korea, try winging it in the academy work found in europe, and enjoy that. You might find in 2 or 3 years that you'll choose it as a profession (this is what happened to me, anyway) . Until then, the Gulf countries are not a good choice. If you're thinking of leaving korea, you might post on the General Discussion board about which countries you could work in one limited credentials and experience. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: