Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flatmates in the city? Need out of Khalifa City!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MissMao

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Flatmates in the city? Need out of Khalifa City! Reply with quote

Hi, I'm working for ADU and not happy with the accommodation supplied out in Khalifa City. I'm thinking of staying on but the truth is, If I stay out here in the desert, I'll go mental. Postal. Freakin' mad. All I want to do is go to a coffee shop once in a while and read a book. Or go to a gym work out when I want to, not when the driver who has a million other things to do may or may not be able to pick me up. Anyway, I know that apartments in town are expensive, and on top of that there is the issue of getting out to the university, but I'm just looking for info and I'm throwing this out there. Where can I look for a flatmate? I'm a western female and would be interested in living with another Western female. Any ideas where I can begin the search? I've checked out www.abudhabiwoman.com and www.expatwomanabudhabi.com but they don't look like the right places to look.
kiefer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khalifa City A? Ouch.

Will ADU let you move?

Do you receive a housing allowance, and if so, you would need at least 45,000 - 55,000 for a one bedroom/ studio on your own.

Would you be allowed to use your allowance to pay for a residency hotel (UAE speak for furnished apartment with services)?

The Abu Dhabi Health Club is a very nice place to relax, have coffee, a light meal, socialize and, of course, work out independently or in classes (tennis, swimming, bowling) AND it is on the edge of the city sort of on the way to Khalifa City A. It's near the corner of Delma and Airport Road, second flyover past Carrefour. Annual membership is dear at 5,000 unless ADU has an arrangement for a discount.
Longton

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you can drive, wouldn't it be simpler and cheaper to just buy a car so you can drive yourself into Abu Dhabi whenever you feel like it?
MissMao

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would make absolute sense though I admit I am really freaked about driving here and heard that Abu Dhabi is a nightmare for parking. But thanks for the idea, I did banter that one around for a milli second but I don't think Im cut out for Abu Dhabi driving just yet.
django

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you find a suitable flatmate you'll still have to pay for taxis to get out to KC-A on a daily basis anyway. And it's getting harder and harder to get a taxi when you want it in the mornings in AD.
What's wrong with hiring a car for a while to get the hang of driving around the country in your free time and buying youself some flexibility? IF you have an accident your renter will replace it. Driving isn't so bad here, especially when you're at the wheel and not some taxi driver with an insha'allah attitude.
globalnomad2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I know a 70-year-old American lady who drives all over the UAE. It's not a big deal. At age 20 I got my first license in Naples, Italy, which was then just as bad as Dubai is today. As I said...not a big deal.
stoth1972

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the plunge, Miss Mao. Soon you'll be road raging with the best of them.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say better to live close to work and not have to deal with getting back and forth to work every day. Lease a car for a month or two and have it to escape on the weekend, and now and again in the evening. Part of it is the feeling of entrapment... if the car is there and you know that you can go where and when you want... the feeling goes away.

You do get used to the driving... it is similar to many US urban areas... Start out by taking short trips.

Join the Abu Dhabi Club... I'm sure they have a nice big parking lot.

Plus leasing is a small outlay of money to see if it works out for you. Better than plunging into an expensive downtown flat with a room mate that you may not like.

VS
ggirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissMao- just wondering have you found somewhere in the city to live? I have been offered a contract with Chouefait in Khalifa city A, it the place very remote?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, ggirl, it looks like a difficult employer in a marginal area with poor housing. I think it comes down to how badly you need this job.

VS
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ggirl,

I can't speak to Khalifa City, but I can speak to Choueifat. Try doing a search on "Choueifat" and "Sabis" and then feel free to drop me a PM with specific questions.
ggirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mishmumkin!
Dave's will not permit me to send pm as I have only signed up this forum. I am prepared for the Choueifat "experience" shall we say, but it is the prospect of living in an area lacking basic amenities that is putting me off the idea.

Ggirl
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sent you a PM ggirl. Perhaps it will let you respond.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMs have not been working for the past several days, for anyone. Conspiracy is suspected, but not verified at this point Twisted Evil
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PM was working again today w/o issue. I saw a sticky on the general board that they were all disabled while some updates were made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: