Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IH Bucharest

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DIPTESOL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: IH Bucharest Reply with quote

I have recently applied for a job in International House in Bucharest. The package they offer seems good, including free accommodation.
I just wondered if anyone had heard and opinons on this school or has anyone worked for them before?
Views and comments much appreciated.
Bebsi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: IH Bucharest Reply with quote

Well, how much (roughly!!) have they offered you? Is it good by western standards? Or did they tell you that you could live really cheaply in Bucharest?

PM me if you want, maybe I can advise you.
not_too_shabby

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I worked for Ih Bucharest about 4 years ago and I didn't last for too long. They may have changed their policies or given more serious thought to the reason why teachers kept leaving but I still wouldn't recommend it. The DOS, the general director and the owner are one and the same, more precisely, there is a married couple who is in charge of everything and everyone. It is basically a family business and they are both control freaks.
Besides, I only worked split shifts and my timetable was tough! Anyway, hopefully things have changed since then...

Good luck!
SITW99

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've probably either taken the job by now, or taken something better, but i'll put in my two pennies-worth anyway.

IH Bucharest is a large centre with two or three native speakers, and about 50 local teachers, all on the same salary of a few hundred euros a month(+free accom fornative speakers). I know a couple of the local teachers and they struggle to pay the bills despite not renting etc. not to mention the fact that they are Romanian, and they know the ropes.

Having a PGCE and working at an international school on Bucharest, I earn 4 times what IH pay, 50% more than the British Council pay, and I only break even each month. Give EFL in Bucharest a wide berth until salaries improve, unless you've got savings you don't mind eating into. I know it's hard to believe, but Bucharest's MUCH more expensive than people imagine. My shopping bill's the same as it was in London before I came out (2005), sometimes my heating bill is more.

On a positive note (there has to be one now and again!), if your savings do allow you to work out here for a bit, the students are very nice Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Romania All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: