Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

list of schools?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerryn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: list of schools? Reply with quote

hey..
could anyone there help me with a link to a site or sites to find schools in Qatar that I could possibly apply for a job.
I have the necessary qualifications and experience- now its just a matter of finding a job..
or should i just arrive?

thanks
kerryn
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiring procedures are normally long and difficult in the Gulf. I have never known a teacher to just show up and find a job with the good employers. Language schools may do such but you may very well end up working illegally.

If you have the proper educational credentials and a CV showing a few years of related experience, send it off. I know of no websites... google?

VS
QatarChic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kerryn,

Be careful of 'just arriving' in the Gulf...as they may only offer you a local contract...

What kind of qualifications do you have? Are you looking to teach at universities?? colleges?? primary /seconday schools?? Language schools?As VS said there is no 'list' as such....if you give us a few pointers we might be able to help you more.
kerryn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey
wow- thanks !
I got a university degree(B SOC SCI) and a TEFL certificate. I have over 3000 hours classroom experience(3 years give or take a month)- Tokyo and Bangkok- all levels,all ages from 2 years to 60 years old. I have done all the business do da.. all the exam prep .. level testing,kindergarten teaching,on site corporate teaching...

So what ya think? You heard of Bell International out there? The pay seems large .. wander what this means?
Really appreciate your words...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Gulf, you need to look at the full pay package. A salary may look large until you realize the cost of living. The better jobs provide free furnished housing, all flights paid, medical coverage and such.

You should be eligible for the middle tier employers (the best require an MA or education certification in your country). My best advice is to spend some time reading around here in the boards about the different employers.

Unless you have some particular reason for wanting Qatar, I would expand my search to the rest of the Gulf countries. Qatar is rather small and thus has fewer opportunities than in places like the Emirates or Oman.

VS
QatarChic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice (as always Very Happy ) from VS.

Have they offered you a job kerryn? Bell is new here and they started recruiting from around June. Pay is from around 9-11000 (I think) and they offer furnished accomodation, however most if not all of the teaching is in the evening. They were however only offering one year contracts- so this may be good if you are considering getting some experience in the Gulf. As Bell is still new here in Qatar- I don't know how things are going there so can't comment (maybe someone else reading the forum might want to add something here?)
greenkiwi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Jobs in Qatar Reply with quote

I've worked in Doha for 2yrs. Make sure any job offer includes accom,health and travel.Also check the bonus scheme offered by your employer; this will be different to what the Qatari Min of Ed also pays to ex-pats who complete their contracts.
Some possible schools to search for:
Newton International School(newish)
The Cambridge School
Qatar International School
Gulf English School
American School of Doha
American Academy School
If you are a trained and internationally qualified to teach you should look at salaries starting at 10,000riyal;including accom/health/flights.Anything lower and you'll be selling yourself short.I did!!! I worked for The International School of Chouiefat. The pay was low 6,900riyal in my 2nd year:-( (compared to the schools mentioned);the accomodation revolting and the mgmnt attitude to their (non-lebanese)ex-pat staff is extremely poor.
Qatar is now the most expensive gulf state in terms of cost of living.Still; you can have a good standard of living on a salary over 10,000riyal and even save! There are also plenty of opportunities to private-tutor at approx 150.00riyal an hour;only it could cost you your job if you got caught! Check your contract and suss out your collegues to get the lay of the land on that one:-)
I personally would return to Qatar...just not to the school I originally worked for!
In my experience,recruitng for the region begins around March
Good Luck Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: