Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Lithuania
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kootvela

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed booty's post; brings back 'good' memories Very Happy

Anyway, the situation is such that there are many private tutors now legalising their activities, renting a small place and starting to invite groups or individual people to study English with them. So far the price for individuals is much less with private tutors than in language courses, usually by 2/3.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Sigadee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kootvela,

Firstly, thankyou for all of your great information and advice!

I was wondering how possible it might be to get a job without fluent/any Lithuanian?

Many thanks,
Sigadee
Kootvela

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for some learners it's an advantage because they have to speak English but for you it would be difficult, say, buy food in the market where nobody speaks English. I guess it's 50/50.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Sigadee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kootvela,

Firstly, thankyou for your response. Secondly, I was wondering whether you might be able to answer a few more of my questions, if possible? Is there a growing market for TESOL in Lithuania? Are you still teaching there? Also, how would you compare the way of life in Lithuania as compared to those in Western nations?

Many thanks!
jonniboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigadee, while Kootvela is better placed to advise you about Lithuania I did work in the neighbouring country of Latvia for six years. You should easily find a job without any Lithuanian. Generally language centres will jump at the chance to employ a native speaker and will thereafter give you groups from pre-intermediate level up where they already know some English. As for buying food I found that living there, you'll very quickly pick up the food words and basic shopping phrases and even if you don't, there'll always be a supermarket around where you can get what you need.
Sigadee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear jonniboy,

Thankyou for your response!

I know this is a little off topic, but how did you enjoy your time in Latvia? What were some of your general impressions regarding teaching and living in this country?

Many thanks,
Sigadee
jonniboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latvia grew on me over time. The place annoyed me at first, especially some of the rudeness and poor customer service that's a hangover from Soviet times, but when you got used to that it's not a bad place to work. There aren't that many native speakers there so you're in a good position and can cherry pick the classes after a couple of years there. The market was virtually all adult groups and the students were generally dedicated and hard working. The language was difficult and the winters were a bit heavy going but again you got used to it. The summers were warmer and sunnier than in the UK but not so warm that everything shut down as in southern Europe so you could easily get enough hours in summer time to stay there if you wanted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: