Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nothing in Bahrain
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albulbul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Nothing in Bahrain Reply with quote

No news from Bahrain ? Seems strange. There must be some EFL teachers there.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: bahrain u Reply with quote

A colleague just back from TESOL-Arabia was offered a job at university in Bahrain. Personally I prefer Saudi. Too many drunks in public in Bahrain.
Mark100

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Bahrain Reply with quote

You could have the best of both worlds.
Work in Saudi with a Saudi salary at KFUPM or Aramco and live in Bahrain lots of guys are doing it.
45min drive
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The British have been told by the embassy to leave Bahrain. I presume the same applies to Americans
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: bahrain Reply with quote

What are the special attractions of Bahrain ? Hookers ? Bars ? Cinemas ?
Give me the K of SA any day.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: bahrain - who needs it Reply with quote

Bahrain is EXPENSIVE. If you want to be in the M.E. and you are inbterested in MONEY, choose Saudi, any time. Mercenary ? You bet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mark100

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Bahrain Reply with quote

Actually Bahrain is cheaper for accommodation than Saudi that is why a lot of guys moved over there.
Also it is a more normal society and you can buy a real drink when you feel like one.
It is only expensive if you are an alcoholic or a whoremonger!
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: normal ? Reply with quote

Normal ? It looks pretty strange to me. But then so do most places after you have spent a while in Saudi.
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Stranger in a strange land Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
Oh dear - you've been over here too long. You've forgotten, it seems, how normal people have fun: getting drunk, taking drugs, chasing women
( and attending the occasional sporting event ). I liked the part in Mark 100's post: " It is only expensive if you are an alcoholic or a whoremonger. " - first because it's nice to see a good, old-fashioned word ( i.e. " whoremonger " ) get an airing. And second, because I couldn't help thinking: " Cripes, what if you're an acoholic AND a whoremonger - that must really run up the tab ".
Regards,
John
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Saudi is more expensive than Bahrain because you spend so much money going over to Bahrain for the weekend!
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:12 am    Post subject: No fool like an old fool Reply with quote

Dear Stephen,
" . . . because you spend so much money going over to Bahrain for the weekend! " Uh-uh - not scot47 and I; no whoremongers and alcoholics are we. Of course, part of the reason for that might be that we're residents of geezerville now ( well, I am, ayway - scot47's still out in the suburbs, I believe ). And, with age comes, if not wisdom, at least satiation and fatigue. You don't, perhaps, get any smarter, but you do get a little less stupid - well, some do, anyway.
Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: bahrain Reply with quote

John is right. In the evening of my life, I now watch as the young bloods from Dammam and Dhahran zoom over the Causeway to Bahrain where they will acquire hangovers and STD's. I make do with a book and a cup of cocoa.

But if you thing Bahrain is normal then you need a normality check.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John and Hamish,
Don't confuse senility with serenity.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: No gentle man Reply with quote

Dear Stephen Jones,
Eh, you young whipper-snapper - have a little respect for your elders. I'll tell you what, though - if senility means avoiding excess, taking better care of yourself and not wasting your time and money on " fleeting pleasures " ( that always turn out to be pains, anyway ), then I'll take it.
I don't intend to " go gentle into that good night ". Uh-uh - they're going to have to drag me, kicking and screaming.
Regards,
John
Mark100

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys it is nice to have the option to live in Bahrain or to go to Bahrain on the weekends.
For younger guys Saudi is hard labour and the opportunity to let your hair down in Bahrain is a convenient escape valve.
The money issue is not so great for younger guys as they have more working years left.
And yes Bahrain is more "normal" than Saudi, but that isn't hard, is it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: