Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speak-up schools
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
misteradventure

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Speak-Up Ukraine Reply with quote

I still want to know how you can speak so authoritatively about a school which will not open for another week, ecocks.

Furthermore, I'm curious how, as an American, you can be so ignorant of the standards used so often in the market in which you profess to be working. There are countless Americans who know what the FCE is. Furthermore, posting in a forum which is inundated with questions about the CELTA and Trinity certifications, you prefer to remain ignorant while positioning yourself as somehow 'expert' on this (non-operational) school.

The only explanation to which I can lend any credibility is that you are an owner/operator/manager of this school (or shall soon be one.) Is this true?

Please respond in this forum to the above three (3) issues.
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: I have come to believe Reply with quote

that there is an agenda all right. It's just not mine.

I suspect yours is induced by ego, politics, caffeine or some other drug. Ah well, whatever floats your boat.

I didn't say I didn't know what the FCE was, only that I was unclear on how these "details" you refer to would have any effect. Since I have never been involved with it (and neither have most of the English teachers I know in Ukraine) that would account for my readily-admitted unfamiliarity.

Out of the 120-odd students I work with right now, none are interested in Cambridge certifications. In this market it isn't much of a standard. I get a lot more questions concerning TOEFL, TOEIC and GMAT tutoring. London School of English apparently works on that section of the market (based upon their advertising) but I couldn't say how successful they are or are not with it.

Anyway, I met the original poster and we discussed the pros and cons of this operation. I accepted my offer, maybe he will accept his. I can be reached at their new school in Ukraine after Tuesday's opening. And yeah, just as a teacher, my name's not on the letterhead or anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ockyocky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly from all I have seen so far and talking with the higherups at Speak-Up they seem quite decent and serious about it all.
No real negatives at the moment except to see if their system is one that will suit me and I them:)
Khrystene

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anospi wrote:
I was offered a job by Empik, and they asked if I wanted to do classes with their Speak Up school. Apparently you don't have your own class, but you have different students every day you teach there. Personally I wouldn't enjoy that.

Empik did offer me a decent wage, but they would have employed me on 'Umowa o dzieło' and more than a handful of people have actually told me that's not entirely legal. I'm not sure. Polish bearacracy is a nightmare.

I don't know of any schools that don't employ on Umowa o Dzielo, which isn't actually legal for teachers. Still there is no 'organisation' of teachers which will stand up together against it. So we all get screwed. ho hum.

Empik has rigorous standards and doesn't just accept anyone generally. But you should always try. Speak up is some 'conversation based' method according to what they told me, but I'm too busy to work there. Empik does offer better wages than most schools, if not all.
misteradventure

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always nice to hear about an employee who protects their organization from all outside forces.

I want to clarify that we are talking about Speak Up in POLAND and NOT Speak Up in Ukraine. If this is becoming a Ukrainian discussion thread, shouldn't it be moved?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: