Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Xian Jiaotong - Liverpool University - any information?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
canrun30

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kungfuman: How's the pollution there? My friend who works there says it's really, really bad.
Shroob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canrun30 wrote:
Kungfuman: How's the pollution there? My friend who works there says it's really, really bad.

If you're asking about Xi'an it's got a reputation as being polluted (also has a reputation for corrupt police around the Spring Festival period - but that's another issue). When I went to Xi'an, the pollution wasn't too bad, however I was only there for a holiday.

I too have friends who work there and they complain about the pollution all the time.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I've lived in China too long [3 years] but I no longer notice the pollution.

Sure on a murky day you can see it affect the buildings, but I mean I don't feel it.

I don't feel as if it's grating my lungs or anything, and I didn't think Beijing was any worse in terms of how I felt than say, Xi'an or Baotao.

Anyways, I live in Xi'an, really enjoy the place. Even in my three years it's becoming bigger and richer, you can see that from more imported goods to more foreign restaurants.

Although there are a worrying number of farmers, and the foreign supermarkets often soon start selling purely Chinese stuff. Metro used to be almost all entirely foreign, now it's just like a huge Walmart [just masses of Chinese goods] save for cheese and some good bacon.
mambawamba

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify this university is actually located in Suzhou not X'ian!
March Hare

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone give information about the CNY / summer vacation time at this place?
kungfuman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canrun30 wrote:

Suzhou? has bad pollution many days indeed. Some days there are no clouds at all but it looks like rain from smog and darkness.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

March Hare wrote:

What? be more specific please.
March Hare

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kungfuman wrote:
March Hare wrote:

Specific?

How much vacation time do they give for summer and Chinese New Year?
Rumblefish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

This thread has made for interesting reading as I have been considering applying to this organisation. Does anyone have any more recent info regarding work/life/environment? It would be great to hear from anyone that has worked there in the previous 12 months or that has recently been/is going through the recruitment process.

One last thing, is there any more info on this whole probabtion period story? The thought of being offered one thing and then paid another for the duration of a contract would be highly unpalatable, to say the least!

Thanks in advance to all who choose to read and respond.

S
Julli4u2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no probation period - they pay what you sign for in your offer letter. Pollution here compared to Shenzhen area is not bad. A lot of sunny days. We live off campus, takes about 20 min by fast bus or longer if you cab it. You can stay in their apartments - quite comfortable and cheap, plus they are serviced. A lot of teachers do.
This part of Suzhou is very expat oriented - foreign food stores, travel agencies with english speaking personnel, numerous bars, restaurants with western food. The bar street is 45 kuai at night away. Train station - about 30-35. Aforementioned LiGong Di bar area is very close. It is remote from downtown with canals and parks but i wouldn't want to live in that craziness.
This uni is strictly controlled by the Liverpool uni in terms of quality of education, work and study environments. ELC currently employs about 120 foreign teachers plus there're subject teachers as well from various European countries. It's located in so called Dushu Lake Science and Innovation District, surrounded by other unis. They only get the top tier students from mainland China. It's an all day job so yes you have to be there from 9 to 5, and a lot of work as well as they are growing.

What else? We're quite happy with everything actually. Hope this helps Smile
Julli4u2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

March Hare wrote:
kungfuman wrote:
March Hare wrote:

Specific?

How much vacation time do they give for summer and Chinese New Year?

You get a total of 47 days off. This includes 17 official holidays plus 30 calendar days. This is paid vacation. You can of course take more off in summer. That would be unpaid. You can take your days off in any non-teaching weeks provided your boss, ie elc director, signs it off. For example, most foreigners got about 2 weeks off in december to go home for christmas. We took a week off plus taking another 17 day beach vacation in Feb. The whole month is non-lecturing. The uni is closed for CNY for a week. There's also one week in early april. In summer officially you can take off any time from July 15 through Aug 26. They finish later because they send paperwork to Liverpool.
Rumblefish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really helpful, thanks for taking the time to provide some updated info. Surprised) It seems like the situation there is definitely worth investigating further.
Julli4u2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumblefish wrote:
That's really helpful, thanks for taking the time to provide some updated info. Surprised) It seems like the situation there is definitely worth investigating further.

Glad to have been of help. Ask away Smile
Rumblefish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Julli4u2,

Can I send you a PM? I have a few questions that I'd like to ask.

Cheers. Very Happy
Julli4u2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM anytime
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: