Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Xian Jiaotong - Liverpool University - any information?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was supposed to start in febpaperwork issues have made it impossible.my problem not their paperwork. Seems legit though
canrun30

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is XJTL actually hiring for this Fall? I don't see any jobs advertised anywhere. Any updates on the overall situation there? Cheers.
tangal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were accepting applications for tutors for next academic year last winter and spring; I did my online interview last March.

You can check the main website for jobs and it will tell you when they're hiring: http://hr.xjtlu.edu.cn/Front/JobVacancyInquiry.aspx?k=iyTApL9LCxonvvvsGJ2TU1

Go to the 'English teaching' section under 'Current Vacancies'. They still appear to be hiring some 'Academic' positions (lecturers/associate professors), based on at least one closing date.

I got the job (Tutor Level A) and will move to Suzhou next month.

Please feel free to PM me later this year (after the summer), and I'll be happy to fill you in on any inside info. I have then.

Cheers!
canrun30

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh...I've been checking for a couple of months now and nothing was ever posted. There IS an opening for an English tutor listed ...closing in 2015! Ha. That's a bit of a wait. Wink

Thanks for the reply...I've got two friends there. One will return next year; the other couldn't wait to get out.
tangal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent you a PM canrun 30, any inside info. would be very much appreciated!
Julli4u2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canrun30 wrote:
the other couldn't wait to get out.

S/he could've got out any time they wanted because, according to the contract, they only need to give a 3 months notice. It's not like anyone is forced to finish their contracts here.
canrun30

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just passing on what I was told...don't kill the messenger.
Julli4u2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't mean to. A lot of people and a lot of opinions but should read their contracts in any case. Smile
slapntickle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how long it'll be before the draconian cuts that are hitting "2803 staff" at Liverpool University will start hitting teachers in the UK and in China? My bet is that in time teachers at Xian Jiaotong will be forced to accept inferior contracts. Make hay while the suns shines, folks, because it won't last I'm sure:

Fury and strike action threat as University of Liverpool attempts to force through inferior conditions

11 June 2013
The University of Liverpool was today accused of putting a gun to the head of 3,000 staff who face dismissal unless they accept inferior working terms and conditions, which would include weekend, evening and Bank Holiday working without recompense.

UCU said the university's proposals, which affect 2,803 staff in roles such as student recruitment, clerical posts, librarians and computer staff, had infuriated its members and it could not rule out strike action.

The controversial changes, which would increase staff working at weekends, evenings and Bank Holidays without overtime or the appropriate time off in lieu, had been subject to long-running talks between the union and the university. However, the university has broken off the talks and is now seeking to simply impose its plans.

The university has announced it is serving notice of a 45-day consultation period. In a letter to staff it warned that unless staff agree to the changes they face three months' notice of dismissal and then being rehired on the new unfavourable conditions.

UCU North West regional official, Martyn Moss, said: 'It's a very strange approach to negotiation that the university has adopted. It says it wants to negotiate with us, but if we refuse to accept what it wants then it's going to try and force it through anyway by dismissing staff and putting them on new contracts with inferior terms. It is essentially putting a gun to the head of almost 3,000 of its staff.

'Staff are not keen on increasing their evening, bank holiday and weekend working, particularly without any guarantees of recompense, and are extremely angry. We'll be consulting them about what steps they wish to take and we cannot rule out industrial action.'

http://www.ucu.org.uk/6668
astrayalien

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XJLTU is not part of the University of Liverpool, they are just allowed to use the name.

So, the woes of staff at the University of Liverpool in UK should not affect XJLTU in China.

I have an offer to work at XJLTU (subject teacher). Any inside knowledge on working conditions would be appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: