Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHAT WOULD IT TAKE FOR A (MOD EDIT) TO HOLD OPEN A DOOR?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henry Chinaski

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: WHAT WOULD IT TAKE FOR A (MOD EDIT) TO HOLD OPEN A DOOR? Reply with quote

Hi All,
Please forgive my deliberately inflammatory subject heading for this post. I just thought it might get a rise.

After living in HK for four months now I find it a pleasant enough place. The people are certainly easier to get along with than Koreans or Taiwanese in my humble and totally subjective opinion. But I have to ask the question - What is up with their day to day manners? Would it really be too much to ask for a Hong Konger to hold open a door for another person? It never fails to shock me to see these people slam doors in the faces of other people.

Also, would it be too hard for them to stand to one side on an escalator like normal human beings?

Finally, people say that Hong Kong is a fast paced city. I beg to differ. If I have ever seen a slower moving herd of commuters in the world then I don't know where. School kids seem to be the slowest of all. Perhaps they have no interest in going home and thus are in no particular hurry to get there.

Anyway, I could wax on about this topic for hours but that is the sum total of my little rant for now. Would love to hear about the opinions/experiences of others.

Henry Chinaski.
11:59

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to look at my thread of:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=48526

and/or read 'Games Hong Kong People Play: A Social Psychology of the Hong Kong Chinese', which can be found at most public libraries in HK.
Henry Chinaski

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey 11.59,

Well obviously I am not too busy here at work today as I just went through and read your thread including all 60 of your observations. Man that was great! You cracked me up. The strangest thing really is that although your observations were hilarious I think they are mostly true.

Of course when we make cultural observations there is always going to be some simpleton like Kowlooner who wants to label us as being racist. I really think this is a narrow and all too obvious way of assessing things. Any of us who have spent time living in Asia inevitably come up with observations that seem totally outrageous when heard out of context. However, for me and many people I know these observations are all too true. I am a relative newcomer to Hong Kong but I do have quite a few years experience in Korea and Taiwan and have worked in foreign owned colleges in my native Australia for several years. As such these seemingly bizarre cultural tendencies are a recurring topic for me and I never cease to be amused in observing and discussing them. Of course I have been called a racist a few times over the years although this is certainly not how I see myself.

Anyway, there are a just a few short points that I have also observed and have probably already been touched on by 11.59 that I must mention.

1. 11.59 mentioned sports days. I work for the VTC and for one day in December my classes have been cancelled so my students can attend a sports day. Not only is this a great inconvenience to me as I have to make up the classes at another point in time but not one of my lazy, PSP addicted students would ever dream of attending a sports day let alone participating in one.

2. Why is is that Hong Kongers will not use stairs and why does the MTR have advertisements encouraging Hong Kongers to "Step their way to better health"? While it may be better than taking the escalator I hardly think taking a flight of stairs twice a day is going to make a huge difference to one's health.

3. Why is that Hong Kongers feel no shame at staring at their reflections anywhere, anytime? Although I must admit Koreans are even worse when it comes to this.

4. Why do Hong Kongers often stop to seemingly contemplate the meaning of their existence at the bottom of escalators or at the entrance to MTR stations thus blocking my way and everybody elses?

5. Why do you they have talk so loud? We all know they having nothing to say.

6. Why is it that Hong Kong women insist in wearing high heeled shoes but have no idea how to walk in them? They all look like pigeon-toed baby elephants. It is truly scary.

7. Why do certain Hong Kong men sit on the MTR picking their noses shamelessly? Do they have no concept that this is truly a disgusting habit best done in private if it must be done?

Okay thats all for now. Thanks for the laugh 11.59!

Henry Chinaski.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: