Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dentistry work in Kuwait

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevbris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: dentistry work in Kuwait Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I am about to accept a teaching position in Kuwait and will be bringing my wife with me. She is an Indonesian and Australian trained dentist/endodontist. My question is...............how difficult would it be for her to find suitable employm,ent in this field? Being Indonesian .........will this fact work against her or not? I imagine Kuwait to be somewhat different to Australia but having my wife with me will make life easier especially if she can work as a dentist in Kuwait.

have fun
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevbris,

Good idea to start a new thread as your question was kind of buried in the other thread. I'm afraid that I really can't help you with the question as I know nothing of the hiring situation for other professions. I fear that not many of us on here would have any idea either. Sad

There are many private dentists and theoretically she could find employment there. Have you tried asking a Kuwait Embassy where you are? If you can't get any questions answered before you leave, just make sure that you take the originals of her degrees to prove her credentials.

VS
kevbris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Thanks for that Reply with quote

I understand this question is a bit strange and thanks a lot for the info you have given. I might just bite the bullet and see what happens when we get there. I have contacted the kuwait embassy and there reply was the same as yours. Bring your papers and apply from Kuwait.

talk to you soon.

By the way...............is 800kd/per month a reasonable wage for Kuwait or are we going to pushing %^*%^% uphill to make ends meet?

CU
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevbris,

Gee what does that say about a place when I know as much as a country's embassy?? Smile makes you wonder, doesn't it --

It is hard to say if 800 KD is enough. For instance, do you get any further benefits like housing, furniture allowance, health care, tickets? If you get all of those in addition, that is a good salary for Kuwait, I'd say.

Assuming, of course, that you don't have an outrageous lifestyle of full time shopping and eating out every evening in 5 star hotels. Smile

800 + the benefits I mentioned + a working wife should equal a well padded savings account --

Does that help?

VS
kevbris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Veiled sentiments,

Its all sounding Ok now.............

thanks mate

Great if she can find work........but not too crash hot if she does not find work
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevbris

Glad to help

Come back and let us know if she is able to find work there. Now you have me curious-- Smile

Best of Luck to you,

VS
kevbris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi again veiledsentiments

Your understanding of the ME is very good. Can you or anyone else tell me if they have had dentistry work done in Kuwait...as in bridging work or crowns. I am doing some comparisons in costings and was wondedring as to whether I should do the lot in Australia before I get to Kuwait or can I get things done cheaper there?

Only asking

Thanks
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevbris,

Sorry that I can't help you out with this one. I do have a friend that has had quite a bit of work done, but she has wasta in high places and managed it under the free government plan. I doubt that the rest of us mere mortals would be eligible.

Personally, I would do it in Oz where you know the dentist and what you are getting. (I am one of those who would rather pay more to my regular and trusted dentist than to trust my teeth to someone of unknown skill just to save a few dollars.) Another option would be just to do what must be done ASAP and hold off on the rest until you get there. If your wife gets a job in the field, she would more easily learn who is good and who is bad - and whether you should avoid having it done until you get back home.

Not much help, I fear. In all my years overseas, I never had more than a cleaning in any of the Gulf countries. Cowardice perhaps?? Smile

VS
Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second VS there,
Get the work done in Oz from someone you trust. I don't know about the ME, but I'd be very desperate before I let many dentists in Asia near my teeth. Cleaning OK, but that's where it ends. However, if I had no choice, then I'd research and find the best I could. There are times when you want to save your pennies, this is not one of those times.
Fred Bilbo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Dentists in Kuwait Reply with quote

Apa Kabar? Your wife could get a job in Kuwait, but would need to pass the Ministry of Health's board. Her qualifications should be attested by the embassy in the country where she qualified. Dentist here are generally very good and very expensive. 800KD is a reasonable wage only if you have free housing, transport, air tickets etc. etc
Sampai jumpa
kevbris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terima kasih banyak pak Fred

Thanks Gordon.

I will keep you guys posted

have fun in the sun
shmooj

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first memory of a dentist was at Kuwait University. I was 6 and had toothache.

With no warning to either me or my dad, he picked up a pair of dental pliers and ripped my tooth out. There was blood everywhere and I screamed for a week.

Needless to say, I've hated dentists ever since. Evil or Very Mad
tubig

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After running out scared from a government (military) provided dentist in Kuwait, I had 1 root canal and 1 crown in a private hospital in Salmiyah.
220 KD no discount possible -very painful action -dentist SWISS and bad tempered. $700 RESULT No problems. Pleased with work!

In KSA,
2 root canals, 2 crowns and 1 constructed bridging to wisdom tooth 3 span.
5000 SR 15% discount and 50% discount on work not materials during Ramadan No pain at all! Very gentle EYGPTIAN. Pleasant dentist manner - no conversation. About $1300. RESULT Some problems. Some discomfort with gums still, and one hairline gap between crown and gum right from completion of work. Pleased with bridge no probs!

All work done in the last 3 years.

So I think it all a matter of - Pays ya money takes your choice!

TUBIG
kevbris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info TUBIG

Much appreciated

cya
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: