Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phrasebook - learn Arabic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
simrishamn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Phrasebook - learn Arabic Reply with quote

Could you guys recommend a good phrase-book and has anyone tried to learn Arabic, if so which books or programs did you use�

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Phrasebook - learn Arabic Reply with quote

simrishamn wrote:
Could you guys recommend a good phrase-book and has anyone tried to learn Arabic, if so which books or programs did you use�

The best method to learn conversational Arabic is to mix with the Arabs (both foreigners and locals) and practise your Arabic with them.
If you want to learn Arabic like a secret agent 007 Laughing , I recommend the following web site, which was developed by Uncle Sam�s state department!: http://www.instantarabic.com/?gclid=CM6_rYiwy48CFQY8gwodYQ39-Q

BTW, there was a big debate about learning Arabic in Saudi Arabia in the Saudi Forum, the title of the topic is: � Taking Arabic classes in Saudi Arabia�, the link is:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=56028&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=classic+arabic&start=15

Unfortunately, and as usual, the thread was locked, and the last poster to lock it was our esteemed sister VS Laughing , and she concluded the topic with the following:
VS wrote:
But no matter your individual superiorities, the reality is that if one has a goal of learning Arabic, the Gulf is not and never will be the best place to go.

I think you can learn Arabic in Oman if you choose the correct school/teacher and practise the language in day to day life.

I hope you will enjoy reading the above Saudi thread.
Neil McBeath

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was part of the thread on learning Arabic that was posted in the Saudi column.

I made the mistake of saying that I had managed to learn to SPEAK Arabic by associating with Omanis, visiting them in their homes, going to weddings etc.

I was promptly flamed by VS "we can't all be as perfect as you", who raised ur-feminist objections about the different levels of freedom available to male and female expatriates in the Gulf.

I have since discovered, I must say with glee, that two of my FEMALE colleagues at SQU are following exactly the same method that I used, and are both making rapid progress.

The disadvantage with this approach is that you end up fairly fluent in certain registers only, and that you will probably remain illiterate, but that would also be true of all you did was study a phrase book.
lotsa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with learning functional Arabic either. Its useful, demonstrates that you are not ignorant of the ways of expressing oneself verbally etc etc. I learn about a dozen new words every day in the functional sense... thats not just knowing what they mean, but actually learning from Omanis correct pronunciation. Moreover, the Omani people seem to "love it" that you are trying out their language, they encourage, they enjoy it... they laugh, I laugh.. we both learn differences... if anyone thinks there is something wrong with that concept perhaps shouldn't even attempt to learn Arabic. I do find the younger generation are very encouraging towards foreigners learning Arabic, and thats gotta be fantastic.

Finally, not all native English speakers use correct grammar nor pronunciation, but aren't mocked for it every time... Omanis don't mock me either. I'm loving the experience of it all and will wrap up by saying I will continue to learn Arabic because it is indeed the best region to learn it... for both males and females.
lall

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Grammar Reply with quote

Not all native English speakers use correct grammar or pronunciation, whilst speaking.

And certainly, the colloquial form of any language is less-refined than that of the written one.

And, yes, the Omanis (or members of any other nationality, for that matter) wouldn't mock a native English speaker, on that count.

However, I wonder what all the students of the teachers who post on Dave's feel about the many errors in English that creep into the posts here.

Had I been a student of EFL/ESL browsing Dave's, my judgement of my teachers' abilities to do justice to their jobs would've been a tad influenced by the quality of the English of the posters here.

However, this is not to say that all EFL/ESL teachers make errors. Why, some posters may not even be EFL/ESL teachers!

No offence meant to anybody in particular. Just a bit of constructive criticism. I hope it's taken in the right spirit.

After all, this is a board for ESL teachers, isn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Grammar Reply with quote

lall wrote:
Not all native English speakers use correct grammar or pronunciation, whilst speaking.

Yes, I agree, even though I am not a native English speaker! Laughing

Quote:
And, yes, the Omanis (or members of any other nationality, for that matter) wouldn't mock a native English speaker, on that count.

I think this is true to a certain extend.
But, why some of the native English speakers would mock on a non-native speaker when he tries to speak or write in English?
Why? Is it something to do with culture or something else?

Quote:
However, this is not to say that all EFL/ESL teachers make errors. Why, some posters may not even be EFL/ESL teachers!
No offence meant to anybody in particular. Just a bit of constructive criticism. I hope it's taken in the right spirit.

All people, regardless if they are English teachers or not, make errors. Nobody was born with a red pen in his right hand and a blue pen in his left hand.
I am a not an EFL/ESL teacher nor an English native speaker, and admit I make errors in my English writing, but that is not a big issue for me, I am more interested on discussing issues related to teaching in general and their effects on society as general.

So, Lall, no offence at all as far as your criticism is �positive� and not �mocking� a non-native speaker on his English writing!

BTW, there is a specific poster in the Gulf region (outside Oman) thinks s/he owns the copyright of the English Language (of course I mean the Hiberno English!). Laughing
zeke0606

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: what? Reply with quote

lall -

You are oh so truthful about the oral language and the written language! And even more correct about allowing an Arabic student to read these forums!

Instead of working together in a spirit of cooperation, I have wacthed these forums used to belittle and berate other English teachers over what I think are just typing errors. And exactly like 007 says -- understanding and communication is the whole point - isn't it?

An American friend of mine quit posting - he was attacked so severely, it seemed to me anyway, only for being American and from the 'former colonies' and everyone knows that Americans can never never understand the English grammar. He was even accused of being a spy - a Russian spy at that! It is a sad day when we attack each other over petty things and miss the big picture of 'getting along together in this tough and hard world'!
lall

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: English Reply with quote

May I add here, without prejudice and definitely without any intention to offend, that this is a forum for English language teachers, as opposed to a forum on the English language.

Teachers of any language are expected to produce relatively error-free material, when posting in that particular language.

In this era of the "spell-check" feature, typographical errors can easily be eliminated.

Justifying these errors is like justifying an accountant's error with the floating decimal in the sum total of a string of figures, on the premise that a quick, cursory look at the figures can clearly show that s/he (the accountant) made a small error in the placing of the decimal point.

Basic errors in grammar, spelling and punctuation by teachers in their posts here could indicate a lax approach towards teaching, which, I suspect, stems from the fact that they consider that they are teaching Omanis, who aren�t expected to know better.

I know that I�m treading on sensitive ground here, with the above-mentioned paragraph. Please take it in the right spirit, teachers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: