Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General stuff....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil_b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: General stuff.... Reply with quote

I'm thinking about going to Brazil to teach Englsih in just over a year's time.. It does look like there is a market for English teachers, but that it is almost impossible to do it legally and that illegally is only really feasible for 6 months.....

however a lot of people seem to be talking about Rio and S�o Paulo, if I was to look n other smaller cities would it be the same situation? Is the situation the same in places like Curitiba, Floripa, Belo Horizonte....

Is there any point in looking towards the northeast of the country - I know the wages are lower, but then I could earn far more If I stayed in London, that's not the point, how do they relate with the cost of living - I would love to work in somewhere like Salvador, Recife or Fortaleza

I hope you can help.... any info is greatly recieved...........

at� logo
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught in Sao Paulo and Rio de Jainero. Sao Paulo is the easiest to find work.. but being its Sao Paulo and how much Brazil has to offer.. looking back now.. I see it was probably the most undesireable place to work. Although I did have ALOT of fun there. I loved it actually.

But next time I go back (and I'm sure there will be a next time some time).. I'm definetely gonna choose a city like you are choosing. I'd say go for it, something will work out.

I don't know the salaries in the northeast.. but I know my wages in Sao Paulo and Rio were really low.. and I had a really difficult time making ends meet. In fact, I went into debt.

If I were to go back, I'd do what you are doing and choose an unexpensive place to live. At least that way if you aren't making ends meet.. you aren't going TOO FAR into debt.

When I was in Brazil (1997-1998), the Brazilian Real was pegged to the U.S. Dollar.. and things were quite expensive to me. Now days the economy has changed quite a bit.. so I don't know what kind of economic purchasing power you'd have even in the cities that I know.

Regardless I'd say choose a city that you are interested in and try it there. Things will work out, and if you can't make ends meet, at least you'll be in an inexpensive place and won't spend too much money that you don't have to lose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: