Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking about Sicily...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marisa229

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Thinking about Sicily... Reply with quote

I'm currently teaching in Rome and I'm having a pretty good experience, but I've recently started thinking about a change of scenery. Sicily (most likely Palermo) sparks my curiosity and I was wondering if anyone had any relevant info about the quality of life/teaching opportunities there.

Any info or opinions are appreciated!
ilaria

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marisa. I've been in Sicily for a couple of years. The first year I actually had quite a hard time, struggling with the language and trying to make friends. The second year has been much easier.

Palermo is beautiful in the centre, but dangerous and grotty in the outskirts, so be careful about finding accommodation in a safe place. Messina and Catania are both quite nice cities - both suffer from chaotic traffic and piles of rubbish in the streets, though. (But that's Sicily for you.) Both Messina and Catania have a big university student population so there's lots to do in the evenings. Messina is also where you get ferries to the mainland and Catania has the biggest airport in Sicily with the largest number of domestic and international flights - so, convenient for getting around. My favourite city in Sicily is Siracusa but it would probably start to seem rather small after a few months, if you're after a variety of nightlife - and it's pretty dead in winter.

As for small towns, well, in Sicily, even someone from the next town counts as a straniero, so imagine how odd the locals will find you. If you're female and you go out to a restaurant or bar by yourself, the general impression you will give people is that you are a prostitute (they won't exactly hassle you though, just stare and be reticent). This mentality is still present in bigger places, expecially among older people, but you'll find that some are very open to making genuine friendships. Shopkeepers and bar owners will really look after you if you become a regular.

Wages are low but cost of living and rent is also low. You'll be as well-off as you are in Rome - maybe even a bit better-off if you can get a good salary and/or a really cheap apartment.

As for the landscape, language, food, wine... all beautiful... I have family here, which makes the whole experience worthwhile even when it's hard. You might try a holiday here or a language course for a month or so, just to see if you can handle being in a place with a more traditional way of life and all that that entails.
armitage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last teaching post was in Messina, and I had an interesting time. I've travelled elsewhere through Italy, and Sicily IS very different. The food is fantastic, as is the scenery, and the people are for the most part hugely friendly. The differences lie in the mentality, pace of life, cost of living, the landscape and so on. The mentality is often "smile after you've been smiled at", the the pace of life is slower, the cost of living better and the landscape beautiful. For me, Messina was a bit disappointing though. I didn't make many local friends and found some of the people rather close-minded in their views. And the traffic is heinous!

Don't let me put you off though. I perhaps didn't immerse myself enough; I knew I was only staying for the 9 month contract. I went to Palermo, and preferred it immediately. As Ilaria has said, the 'straniero' mentality is strong. The Messinese see vast differences between them and say people from Catania. I found Palermo more vibrant than Messina, and would definitely recommend it. If you do move however, don't expect just a change in scenery..
Hope that's some help.

b.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: