Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Suggestions on a Quick "Must See" in Costa Ric

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dixie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Any Suggestions on a Quick "Must See" in Costa Ric Reply with quote

I all!

I live in Mexico City but will be going to SJ for a conference in January. Turns out that although we have four days there, the conference is only three days. I fly back home Friday but have Thursday evening to Friday afternoon to check around.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a sight that is fairly close, cheap and a "must see" that I could squeeze in before leaving. It will be my first time in CR.

Thanks for any and all input!
John Hall

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to take a wild guess that you will be coming to the XXIV National Conference for Teachers of English at Centro Cultural, right? If so, I will probably see you there!

Centro Cultural, or CCCN, is located in Barrio Dent in San Pedro. One possibility for you might be to go to Irazu Volcano. There is an early morning bus that you can take, which gets back some time in the afternoon. In January, the skies should be pretty clear, so the views should be pretty spectacular. Up at the top of the volcano, it will be quite chilly and windy, so dress warmly.
whosear

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Lankester Gardens Reply with quote

If the Irazu trip is appealing, you could take the early morning bus, then on the return you could go to the Lanckester (sp?) Gardens in Cartago. They have a wonderful display of flowers and plants native to Central America, wonderful gardens, and an inexpensive gift shop.

Then if time permits, you could stop by the University of Costa Rica in San Pedro. The campus is lovely, and has a nature preserve nearby.

The other ideas are to get the Lonely Plant travel guide and use it to decide what sights are worth seeing. I would recommend going in one direction, staying within the Central Valley, then either go one place and explore it, or line up several things that you could see while first going to the farthest one.

Finishing at the National Museum, or the Jade Museum, or in one of the many parks in the downtown area is not a bad way to end the day!

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dixie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for your responses. I am actually attending an IB workshop that is being held at the European School in SJ.

We will not have a ton of time, as we have to be back mid-afternoon for our plane home. However, I will look up your suggestions and see what works.

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: