Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Christians/churches in the Middle East
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickelgoat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Christians/churches in the Middle East Reply with quote

I am applying for several positions in the Middle East now (not in the KSA) and was wondering about Christian churches in the area. I don't expect very many to exist, but I am most interested in UAE and Oman and definitely desire to continue attending should I obtain a position. I am Protestant.

Appreciate any responses.

Thanks!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only country in the Gulf that has no Christian Churches is Saudi Arabia. Oman and the UAE have them in the larger cities. The main difference will be that Sunday is a regular workday, so services are held on other days.

VS
uaeobserver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent study printed by a Catholic magazine speculated that about a third of Arabia is Christian of one variety or another.

Look around, and there's tens of thousands of expatriate workers from the Philipines, from Kerala (southern India - a largely Christian area), from Lebanon, from South Africa, etc.

The UAE is fairly progressive when it comes to Christians. The US Department of State even notes that Dubai hosted a Promise Keepers convention (a bone toss to the evangelical segment).

If you're in a cosmopolitan place like Dubai, Abu Dhabi, or even Al Ain - you should not have any problem finding a church family. As you move to more remote parts of the UAE, you'll find fewer. The reason is more about demand for such services, than it is political.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple churches in Sharjah, UAE, too (a more conservative emirate given its ties to KSA).

Last edited by mishmumkin on Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

A recent study printed by a Catholic magazine speculated that about a third of Arabia is Christian of one variety or another.

Quite apart from the fact that there is no such place as "Arabia" one wonders where the bishops got their stats?

Quote:
Look around, and there's tens of thousands of expatriate workers from the Philipines, from Kerala (southern India - a largely Christian area), from Lebanon, from South Africa, etc.

...Perhaps from the same place as those who think Kerala (with a Christian population of less than 20%, smaller than the Muslim minority there) is a 'largely Christian area'? Also, Lebanon is a majority Muslim country. In any case, this is a very partial way of looking at the expat population in the Gulf, as it conveniently leaves out the huge numbers of expats from Bangladesh, Pakistan and the Arab world, the vast majority of whom are Muslims. Given that the native populations of the Gulf countries (the "Arabia" of the survey?) are almost 100% Muslim, it's very hard to see how one third of the population could be Christians.
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Our survey says... Reply with quote

By Arabia I imagine they mean the countries in the Arabian peninsula.
The key word here is "speculate"; I'd be most surprised if they had actually conducted a serious survey to establish the size of the Christian population in the region - the idea is worthy of Monty Python.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but reliable 'studies' don't tend to 'speculate'.

Anyway, you don't need to do a survey to know that virtually all of the native population of the gulf is Muslim, and that the majority of the region's expats come from countries where Christianity is not the predominant religion.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree. 30% is way too high even when one is only talking about the expats. But one thing about religious organizations, they always overestimate their members.

There are probably as many Hindus/Jains/Sikhs as Christians. I know that Oman allows them to have Temples, do the other Gulf countries? (outside of Saudi, of course)

VS
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For buggy statistics on the region there's the normally reliable CIA Worldbook.

It says the population of Saudi Arabia is 100% Muslim. And that the same population is 90% Arab and 10% 'Afro-Asiatic'.
lall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Temples Reply with quote

There's a small temple in Manama, Bahrain dedicated to Krishna. There is a larger one in the Alba area, which area is also host to a Sikh gurudwara.

Muscat, Oman has a fairly large temple complex with temples dedicated to Krishna and other deities, near the church complex in Ruwi, not far from Lulu's Hypermart.

Salalah has one, too, near Lulu's Hypermart, behind Prophet Omran's tomb.
NadiaK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several churches in Ras al Khaimah and Fujairah, too.

(By "churches" I mean "congregations" and not necessarily actual church buildings...although some of the congregations in those towns do actually have their own church-buildings now.)
uaeobserver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speculation has been repeated in numerous blogs in the region. However, I don't believe things are true just because they're on the internet.

The original article appears here:

http://chiesa.espresso.repubblica.it/articolo/164081?eng=y

I don't really agree with their math (I inserted the operative word "speculated."). I also think they generalized a little too much from the progressive UAE (the California of Arabia). That's like saying that Toronto represents British Columbia since they're both Canadian. At the same time, it would not surpise me if you said a quarter or a fifth of the UAE is Christian of one variety or another.

As far as Saudi is concerned - there's a difference between the published figures and the real ones. I knew plenty of resident oil and gas workers that ran home churches.

All of this is to affirm to you that yes - there appears to be a significant - and possibly growing number of Christians -- and it appears (at least in the UAE) that their interests are adequately met.

If memory serves me correct - I think His Highness Sheikh Mohammed of Dubai recently approved a Cathedral in that Emirate.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article linked to does not appear to be an example of stellar journalism. On the one hand they say:

Quote:
Foreigners now make up more than 70 percent of the more than 4 million inhabitants, coming from other Arab countries, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, the Philippines.

In only one of these countries (the Phillippines) are Christians in the majority. They form tiny minorities in all of the other countries mentioned. And yet, the article goes on to say:

Quote:

More than half of these foreign workers are Christians

How did they work that one out??? I don't have much first hand experience of the UAE, but if my limited knowledge is anything to go by, it seems odd that the number of mostly Christian Philippino expats, combined with the relatively small number of "Westerners", outnumber those from the Indian subcontinent and the Arab world, few of whom would be Christian. If we suppose that the vast bulk of expats in the UAE will be menial workers, and that most of these will be from the Indian subcontinent, the figures do sound strange. Or maybe it's just that I'm naturally suspicious of any 'science' emerging form a bishops' conference...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Around a million of them are Catholic. And it's not only in the UAE � in Saudi Arabia, too, it is estimated that there are already about a million Catholics from the Philippines.

I wonder where did they get the above statistics of ONE MILLION of Christian in the UAE are Catholic and another ONE MILLION of Catholics in SA!!

So, what is left for the Christian Protestants of her majesty the Queen of Great Britain, and the protestants of Uncle Sam, and the Arab Orthodox of Baba Shanouda of Egypt, and the Orthodox of Syria and Lebanon? Which have great number of them working in the Gulf countries?

It is well known in history that Protestant missions in the Middle East were since the 18th century.
And one of the achievements of the US Protestant missions in the ME is the establishment of the American University of Beirut (1864) and the American University in Cairo (1920).

Of course the Italian bishops' conference belongs to the Catholic domination of his Majesty the Papa of Roma (or the pontiff) .
And as far as I know there is also the Christians Protestants who came from USA and Britain in the ME since the 18th century, and they do not recognize the authority of his majesty the Pope of Roma.

We have to recognize that some Christian organizations in the ME, such as the US conservative evangelical in the ME, have a hidden agenda, and this agenda is to evangelize Muslims through forthright teaching. And some are taking advantage of the Iraq war to send food boxes carrying a quote from John 1:17 translated into Arabic: "For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ."

In most countries of the Gulf region, the expatriates have freedom of worship but are not allowed to try to convert Muslims to Christianity.

The % of Christians (all sects) amongst foreign workers is around 16% in Oman, 8% in UAE, 26% in Bahrain, 14% in Kuwait, and 18% in SA.
canadashirleyblue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Catholic Church once when I was in Kuwait (not that I would recommend Kuwait but anyway). The place was absolutely packed. I arrived 20 minutes before it was supposed to start and there was no where to sit. I managed to find a small bench next to the back wall. The place filled up until there was no standing room and people were outside the building. There was a sign on the bulletin board outside telling everyone that they had something like 8 masses a day and they didn't have enough priests to have any more so don't ask for them because it was cannon law (in capital letters). There were several other churches in the same area. The Egyptian Coptic one was just across the street.
I also attended once when I was in Abu Dhabi. I never did get into the building because of the crowd.
I think I was the only white face in either place. They were Phillipinos and Indians.
It was quite interesting too, because the day I went in Kuwait the homily was about marriage. The priest was telling the congregation the regular Catholic docrine about how it was for life etc etc etc. I can't imagine many priests where I come from having the courage to say that. Their congregations would probably have walked out on them. They would have watered it down for local consumption. Or maybe got some lay couple to talk about how wonderful it all was.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: