Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taxes in North Africa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muslim expat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Taxes in North Africa Reply with quote

Alhamdulillah (all praise is for God) now that I am working in Algeria the thought has come to mind about taxes. I know I should have checked with an Accountant before I left Australia but I use ?&? Blob wherever I have gone and the international tax situation is too hard for them. So I am calling again on my teaching community to get some straight answers on international taxes. I have dual citizenship in US and Australia and have always paid tax in whatever country I lived in though I think I was supposed to send a copy of any tax return from other countries to the US. The information on this was vague at the time so I did the easy thing and concentrated on the country I lived in. So again I would appreciate any help or information in this category and because it is a tricky area I will verify any information and not hold the supplier of any information responsible.
Vteacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea of no planning....this is indeed a tricky one.

But what's the story here? Surely someone like yourself with a direct line to He of the cloud-wreathed throne shouldn't be needing the advice of mere teachers. He is all-knowing, after all.

For the record, I'd say that you'll be liable for tax in Algeria, Australia and the US - hope you're earning a sack of cash, because I'd say you won't be left with a lot after they've all had their bit.

Good luck, and watch out for those atheist-zealot bombers over there.

Cheers,

VT
Brooks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to do a 1040 every year as a US citizen.
As long as you make under 80,000 bucks you aren't liable to pay US taxes.
You should just have to pay Algerian taxes.

As for Australian tax, I can't say.

www.irs.gov
medina

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Australia, but in respect to the US, as Brooks says, you are required to file. If you spend most of the tax year abroad (as Brooks mentioned) then you qualify for a big exclusion---this year it's actually 85,700 dollars (and I know very few teachers even getting close to that!!). You can check this out by looking at Form 2555EZ (Foreign income tax exclusion, available on line at IRS site) which is what you need to file along with the 1040. And you need to attach to this a statement of income from whatever school you're working for in Algeria--- it should look reasonably official---which includes the dollar exchange rate at that time. Also---you probably know this--- but you have until June something to file if you're living abroad.

Haafizakum Allah
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Taxes in North Africa Reply with quote

Muslim expat wrote:
Alhamdulillah (all praise is for God)

Why must we tolerate this kind of religious propaganda? We are neither in Iran nor Saudi Arabia. Maybe the moderators could delete it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: