Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting the record straight at QU
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
burnout



Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Setting the record straight at QU Reply with quote

Setting the record straight:

I had an email a few days ago from an old QU faculty member in another department. He just got renewed for 3 years at the age of 63. He also told me that at least 12 other 60+ professors and maybe more in other departments got renewed. Evidently renewal past the age of 60+ is at the discretion of the department head - in other words, if he wants you, he keeps you. This ageism excuse is also a good opportuity to get rid of qualified teachers and blame it on the system. In other words, it gives your boss an excuse to fire you. The nuts and bolts of this is that the department head can keep you or throw you out.

The latest firing list actually had at least 9 or 10 people on it. One of the new teachers was fired in the middle of his probabation. Some teachers who resigned because they knew they were on the hit list. Some people just jumped the gun and resigned. Who can blame them?

Being fired worked great out for me. At the time, though, I was furious. Now I have a better job with better pay. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for some of my excolleagues who are struggling to cope with what happened. If you are fired for good reason, you can accept it, but being fired because because you are not a 'team player' is not the way real sportsmen play the game. What happened to fair play? It seems that this is a disappearing concept in the modern world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
veiledsentiments



Joined: 20 Feb 2003
Posts: 15867
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reality point... most universities in the Middle East have difficulty getting good experienced people in their content courses. TEFL teachers are a dime a dozen. Is there ageism in the Gulf? Not as much as some countries, but it is there... along with racism and sexism.

Thus, they will keep an older content professor because s/he would be difficult to replace. But most older teachers in the TEFL area have probably been there for years and are at the top of the scale. When these places decide to pinch pennies (and they ALL do it), it is the TEFL teachers that get the ax. First they ax the troublemakers and then they ax the ones at the top of the scale. Do they always tell you the real reason? Probably not... Real life 101...

And back to QU itself, since it has something like 120-130 TEFL teachers, a non-renewal of 9 or 10 isn't unusual or outrageous, although the number that I have heard is less than that. It's always sad for those who don't want to leave, but it is also part of life teaching in the Gulf. There is no job security and if that is crucial to a person, perhaps the Gulf should be avoided.

How many times do you and your alter egos plan to post this same thing? If you like your new job, why are you wasting so much time in these bitter attacks on your ex-employer? The vast majority of teachers there are content and some are probably even... happy... Shocked New applicants should know that it is always a gamble at any new job. QU remains what it has always been... neither the best nor the worst...

VS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
scot47



Joined: 10 Jan 2003
Posts: 12098
Location: Ultima Thule

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that some of those who moved from KSA to Qatar feel that the workload is over the top in Doha.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
The Maverick



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Setting the record straight at QU Reply with quote

[quote="burnout"]Setting the record straight:


In other words, it gives your boss an excuse to fire you. The nuts and bolts of this is that the department head can keep you or throw you out.

Laughing
Laughing what did u do?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
veiledsentiments



Joined: 20 Feb 2003
Posts: 15867
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
I hear that some of those who moved from KSA to Qatar feel that the workload is over the top in Doha.

When I was in the Gulf, many employers said to me that they didn't like hiring people from Saudi because they had unreasonable expectations of work load, office hours, and general duties. Many employers in KSA seem to have more of an idea that teachers at tertiary level should be treated as such. That usually means that we can come and go based on our teaching schedule and office hours (as it was for me in Egypt). In the rest of the Gulf there is the tendency to treat us more like secretaries or office workers and expect a 40+hour week chained to the desk.

I think that is where the disconnect comes in for many who try to make the transition.

VS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
scot47



Joined: 10 Jan 2003
Posts: 12098
Location: Ultima Thule

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I am all for the Saudi work ethic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Stephen Jones



Joined: 21 Feb 2003
Posts: 4124

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends more on the institution than the country. There are plenty of places in Saudi where the managers suffer from an obsession with presenteeism.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yellofello



Joined: 05 Jun 2007
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS - You've set yourself up as the self-stylized Gulf Guru and you're doing a great job. KUDOS to you!!! Most of us readers appreciate your words of wisdom, insight, good advice and tips about jobs and issues in the Gulf. You certainly helped me when I was trying to decide between two offers. Maybe I made the wrong choice but that was my mistake, not yours.
Your great input aside, I have a bone to pick - sometimes I just find you just a little too sycophantic. Maybe you could tone it down a little - be less sanctimonious when it comes to commenting on some of the posters' issues and grievances. Burnout's story is not unusual. We all know that lots of people get the shove because they rub their management the wrong way. They don't have to do anything -that's just the way it is - a sorry fact of life - an occupational hazard. You know that better than most people - which is why your comments are so insightful. My big beef is why put down people for relating their (mainly bad) experiences? Why claim people have alter egos? Could it be that you're barking up the wrong tree? Some HCT people say the same about you, that your main fix is surfing Dave's and giving your two cents worth under a variety of alter egos yourself. Who cares? You've got a lot to say - so do what you have to do. Most of your two cents worth are pretty worthwhile but some of the things you say are just downright uncalled for. Following John Stossel's advice could be a good idea. VS You really are the best source of Gulf information and advice but maybe you could leave some of these fellows alone - maybe it does them some good to let it all hang out. Keep on doling out the good information but leave the wisecracks out.

PS John Stossel is related to me by marriage. I find him a pretty moderate and intelligent person - like you usually are. Keep posting your words of wisdom.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
veiledsentiments



Joined: 20 Feb 2003
Posts: 15867
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am merely pointing out a common problem here. Happy teachers rarely post, so we mostly get those who are unhappy because they lost their job. If you read the posts, it is often obvious by writing style that there are people with multiple screen names who come on to back up their previous posts.

I just happen to do work online so the computer is always on at my house. Since I get daily PMs, I pass through to answer and can take a few minutes to post if I wish. It is amazing how many people around the Gulf are afraid to post on this board because of the constant attacks of anyone who posts anything positive.

It says something not so nice about many of the people in this profession.

VS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
scot47



Joined: 10 Jan 2003
Posts: 12098
Location: Ultima Thule

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEFL is full of misfits, psychopaths,rejects,inadequates,has-beens and never-weres.
Of course you may also find witty,genteel, suave, debonair, successful types - like myself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
The Maverick



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
TEFL is full of misfits, psychopaths,rejects,inadequates,has-beens and never-weres.
Of course you may also find witty,genteel, suave, debonair, successful types - like myself.


I couldn't agree more!!
Laughing
You are such a witty/wise person-just like myself!
Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thursday12



Joined: 10 Nov 2006
Posts: 93

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest downers -

- Looks like ole burnout is right - renewing teachers after 60 is a departmental decision, so if the headman wants ya ta go, ya go... yer bad luck. It's just too bad - makes ya kinda wonder what's goin on. It's too true that most of the turfed teachers are A.OK. dudes,just doin their job. Usin cea & age is a good way of gettin rid of people for those that wanna do some shaftin....

-Heard hitlist was 'bout 8 people so that's pretty right on. These dudes are good teachin dudes... At least 2 doz. been bumped since I got here - pretty bad all considerin... only one dude was a blooper so I've heard.


- Assessment - it's real tuff on newbies - lotta work & makes ya feel discouraged. Don't blame 'em, I went thru all this myself & it wasn't much fun, man. Lotta stress & pressure on the newbies, some guys sayin the portfolio stuff is way too much and I gotta agree with 'em there. It was murder when I did it - ya feel like yer in a time bomb... The trio gotta rethink this whole thing - is it really necessary to put the newbies thru the mill?

-Some newbies real miserable - overworked, too much pressure and too much stress, some regret leavin their last place.

-Action plan - lotta complaints 'bout that - just busywork mainly - gotta make ya slave fer yer moolah. This sure needs some rethinkin ...


- Gotta work new year's - newbies comin from other places gripin 'bout that (I agree, wud be nice to have the day off...)


Latest uppers-

- Nice long eid vacation - we sure do need it.

- Overtime moolah still goin good but ya gotta get in good with the trio -seems like same ole people get all the overtime stints.

- End of semester comin up - that's the real good news!!

- Some newbies real happy and got no complaints - real happy to be here.

- Nw admin dude seems to be OK. Only time will tell.

The place grows on ya - if ya can stick the first year, not too bad. Just keep watchin yer back. ....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
anyway



Joined: 03 Sep 2007
Posts: 109

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
It is amazing how many people around the Gulf are afraid to post on this board because of the constant attacks of anyone who posts anything positive.

It says something not so nice about many of the people in this profession.

VS


People who are afraid of an attack on an internet message board? Does that phobia have a name yet? Wow, I knew people developed tics in this profession, but that one takes the cake. How thin-skinned can one be?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
veiledsentiments



Joined: 20 Feb 2003
Posts: 15867
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyway wrote:
veiledsentiments wrote:
It is amazing how many people around the Gulf are afraid to post on this board because of the constant attacks of anyone who posts anything positive.

It says something not so nice about many of the people in this profession.

VS


People who are afraid of an attack on an internet message board? Does that phobia have a name yet? Wow, I knew people developed tics in this profession, but that one takes the cake. How thin-skinned can one be?

You must be relatively new here. There are some VERY nasty people in this field and the anonymity allowed by this system - when added to excessive imbibing - leads to the type of posting behavior that drives many people away.

And speaking of picking on people...

Thursday12!! Come on... how old are you? Do you teach the English language? Has no one told you about the fact that written English is different from spoken? That last post was embarrassing...

Wait until Scot47 gets here!! Laughing

VS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bje



Joined: 19 Jun 2005
Posts: 527

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thursday12!! Come on... how old are you? Do you teach the English language? Has no one told you about the fact that written English is different from spoken? That last post was embarrassing... Wait until Scot47 gets here!!

I doubt there's any real need to wait for Scot47 to take Thursday12 to task...A number of people have likely noted how off the wall his/her posts tend to be. It simply means that the person concerned is not taken particularly seriously, although they may not bother to comment as such.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC