Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SCAMS SCAMS SCAMS SCAMS: READ THIS THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMIXDJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just Received this into my Inbox.

Seems now their trying the Debt collector scam on people not stupid enough to fall for the First scam.

Quick note to anybody finding this through a Google search.......

***SCAM***DO**NOT**PAY!!***SCAM***SCAM
The Scam Email Reads.......

Department of Naturalization & Residency - Dubai

DEAR VISA/WORK PERMIT APPLICANTS,

You are only advised to Pay your Debts Urgently via Western Union Money Transfer to our underlisted Registrar here in Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Receiver's Name: HELEN CHISAOKWU READ
Address : 9 Al Riqua Street, Dubai(United Arab Emirates)
This will enable us settle the designated offices and deliver your Visas/Work permits to your Addresses otherwise your application will be revoked.

Nobody will attend to you if follow your own instruction

Sincerely yours,
H.E. Saif Abdullah Al Shafar
United Arab Emirates-Ministry of Interior
Naturalization & Residency Administration-Dubai.
{Foreign Employment Visa Issuance Department}
P.O.Box: 4333, Dubai, U.A.E
Tel:+971-501874915
E-Mail: [email protected]
www.uaeimmigrations.tk

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Cant Believe The UAE have not managed to stop this yet?
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Khaimeh Language School, Dubai Reply with quote

And yet another way they are scamming:

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/dubai-expat-forum-expats-living-dubai/8434-received-job-offer-english-teacher-khaimah-language-school-dubai.html

Quote:
I am a foreign English teacher having received an offer of employment from the Khaimah Language School, Dubai. Here is the address of the newly established school:
Khaimah English Language School
159, Sheikh Zayed Road, Deira , Dubai
United Arab Emirates
I would like to know if this school is registered & licensed with the UAE Ministry of Education or not. The school authorities have asked me to contact for work permit & visa applications at the following address:
Atten. Mr. Nashiri al-Buntiri Aroon
United Arab Emirates-Ministry of Interior
Naturalization & Residency Administration-Dubai.
{Foreign Employment Visa Issuance Department}
17 Naif Rd.Deira , Dubai, U.A.E
Tel/Fax: +971 4338 1603
E-Mail:[email protected]

I even searched for the name of the above school on Moeya(Ministry of Education) website but did not find it. So I am a bit skeptical as to whether this School does exist or not.
Kindly let me know at the earliest.
Regards
Kushal Pathak.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, they have a new email address... it's not .tk, but .us

Anyone know anything about ".us"

VS
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Google:

"Welcome to website.us
This website was registered at Misk.com.
This website is under construction. Please check back soon."

Misk.com:

"Misk.com has been helping individuals and businesses register domain names and put themselves online since 1998. Misk.com is driven by research and innovation, which is backed up with a passion for stellar customer service.

Following the privatization of the domain registration industry, in May of 2000 our first automated domain registration web site was launched as RegisterSite.com. We changed our name to Misk.com in July of 2005 to build a unique brand and so our name wouldn't restrict the type of services we could offer."

Registration costs ten bucks a year.

http://www.misk.com/

Regards,
John
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

US: Upper Samoa, I think.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest phishing ad posted below:

: WE OFFER $4800USD ESL TEACHING POSITION WITH FREE AIRFARE,ACCOMMODATION AND HIGH SALARY
Our school is a fully interactive place where students of all ages can visit classrooms, street performances, and English facilities like the bank, post office, and restaurants. All the while speaking English of course! In a sense, we are helping them experience the Western way of life, without having them leave United Arab Emirates.
The Students are so fully immersed in English they don't even realize that they are learning!
You will be required to teach in a new and innovative conversational English language program. Students are Emirate citizens who are enrolled in English language course and attend classes four days a week.
Teachers are paid for class time and preparation time in a Eight hours daily
Criteria:
1) Native English speaker or proven fluency in English with English teaching experience.
2) A COMPLETED Bachelors degree (not necessarily in English). This is a must. Those who have not completed a degree need not apply.
3) Some form of training in English Language teaching e.g. CELTA, TESL, TESOL, TEFL or equivalence.
4) 1- 2 years experience of teaching English, preferably adults.
PACKAGE:
$4800USD or equivalent paid in dirham each month (tax free)
Return Airfare from home city + single furnished bedroom (own bathroom and Kitchen) within the school premesis.
Please note the school is not able to provide accommodation for families.
* This is a contract job.
* Salary: $4800USD or equivalent paid in dirham each month (tax free)
* Plus $4800USD severance pay at end of a 1-year contract
* Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
We are looking for ESL teachers available for 1 year contracts with a possibility to extend for a longer period.
If you are interested,please send us your RESUME/C.V along with your earliest start date through below listed.
Email:[email protected]
charismatic1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I responded to an advert I saw posted on an ESL website before I realised it was a scam. I had my suspicions but alarm bells really started to ring when they informed me that I had they job without even interviewing me, all I'd done was fill out an application form & sent them a recent photograph with a copy of my resume.

I'm a bit concerned because even though I haven't sent them any money & they don't have my bank details, they do have personal information including my address, date of birth & my passport number & I am worried about identity theft.

I'm kicking myself for giving them my details I can't believe I was so naive.

Here's a copy of the advert:

WE OFFER $4800USD ESL TEACHING POSITION WITH FREE AIRFARE,ACCOMMODATION AND HIGH SALARY
Our school is a fully interactive place where students of all ages can visit classrooms, street performances, and English facilities like the bank, post office, and restaurants. All the while speaking English of course! In a sense, we are helping them experience the Western way of life, without having them leave United Arab Emirates.
The Students are so fully immersed in English they don't even realize that they are learning!
You will be required to teach in a new and innovative conversational English language program. Students are Emirate citizens who are enrolled in English language course and attend classes four days a week.
Teachers are paid for class time and preparation time in a Eight hours daily
Criteria:
1) Native English speaker or proven fluency in English with English teaching experience.
2) A COMPLETED Bachelors degree (not necessarily in English). This is a must. Those who have not completed a degree need not apply.
3) Some form of training in English Language teaching e.g. CELTA, TESL, TESOL, TEFL or equivalence.
4) 1- 2 years experience of teaching English, preferably adults.
PACKAGE:
$4800USD or equivalent paid in dirham each month (tax free)
Return Airfare from home city + single furnished bedroom (own bathroom and Kitchen) within the school premesis.
Please note the school is not able to provide accommodation for families.
* This is a contract job.
* Salary: $4800USD or equivalent paid in dirham each month (tax free)
* Plus $4800USD severance pay at end of a 1-year contract
* Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
We are looking for ESL teachers available for 1 year contracts with a possibility to extend for a longer period.
If you are interested,please send us your RESUME/C.V along with your earliest start date through below listed.
Email:[email protected]
www.uaeministryoflabors.tk
Tel:971-509468801
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the same one that I posted right above. If you have sent them your papers, there is nothing you can do about it at this point.

You could go through the exercise of informing your government and getting a new passport, but this wouldn't stop them from using information from the old one.

Other than that, all you can do is wait and see. In the US, there are insurance policies for identity theft that you can get - where they help you fix things if your information is stolen and used. We also have the right to check our records at the three main credit agencies once a year for no charge.

Hopefully nothing will come of it.

VS
charismatic1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice VS. Yeah I realised it was the same advert you'd posted above but thought I'd repost it anyway for emphasis.

As soon as I realised, I called the UK passport agency & they said that due to new protection rules & regulations it would be virtually impossible for another person to use my passport number but I am still concerned that they have my full name, date of birth & address. I filled out the form by hand & scanned it rather than typing my details & the scan isn't very clear at all so hopefully they won't be able to decipher the information.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been sent this a couple of days ago, from a friend who was 'looking out for me' in case I can't secure a job here in Brunei in the next few months. The .tk caught my spidey-sense, as well; a quick couple of search checks turned up this related thread:

http://www.esl-jobs-forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=7584

I had NOT sent along anything - letter of inquiry, docs, money, etc. Just sending your passport info, apparently, is not so much a cause for concern.

However, it is important (as long-time Korea vets know) that you should NEVER send along crystal-clear color copies and/or originals of things like driver's license/IDP, uni degree, teaching certs, etc.

I am afraid that these ads will morph yet again - if even one person sends money, docs, etc., then the scam has paid for itself to reseed for another 6 months.

Regards,

Glen
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Any advertisement that shows email addresses or websites with:

.tk
.us
.de

This is guaranteed to be a SCAM.

Also the use of a Hotmail address supposedly tied to any Ministry is almost certainly a scam.

VS
kiefer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: SCAMS Reply with quote

It's not just we teflers being scammed.
Someone bought a domain irs-gov.com and whacked the first page of the true irs.gov. Looked the business. Slipping gov into the address also was a brilliant idea.

People who received this scam were told they had a refund of so many hundred dollars and to please submit bank account information for a deposit. Every link on the page resolved back to the main page even the one that said click for Spanish translation.

So not only be wary of the .tk or .de but also the domain name itself, even if it is a dot com.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One protection for everyone on scams like this is to NEVER NEVER NEVER send banking or password information based on an email from anyone. No business or the government, or especially bank or credit card company will request account information by email.

VS
kiefer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS couldn't be more right, unless you are approached by send_me_your_passport_information_atm_account_number_and pin_number dot com.

I see that domain is available. As I've said before, I want to get into the business.
Nashledanou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is hilarious. I applied at eslemployment.com for this position in the Emirates, a well-paid one. They sent me a questionnaire full of geeky questions that I was just too lazy to go about answering 'properly' (I thought, what the hell, don't they want to TALK to me?...)

So, without having read this thread, I decided on having a little fun instead, and this is how I filled out the questionnaire:

Quote:
1.Describe your personality.

Authoritative, honest, and unmerciful.

2.Describe your teaching style and how you would accommodate the different learning styles of the students in your classes.

Every time a student makes a mistake, I beat him over his head (or on the buttocks) with a bamboo cane. Once for the first mistake, twice for the second, and so on. This works with everybody.

3.Describe any school experience you have had, particularly in student teaching (or in another teaching position) that has prepared you for a full-time position at our school.

Once there was this student who kept making the same mistake, i.e. "I am interesting in music" instead of "interested". So I had him bend over the desk, pull down his pants in front of everyone, and told him to read his mistake fifty times over and over; every time he did, I beat him hard on his buttocks with a bamboo cane.
From then on, he never made the same mistake again.

4Tell me about three people who have most influenced your own education and educational career.

1) Hitler, 2) Stalin, 3) my father (RIP)

5.What contributions can you make to our school?

Financially, none. Spiritually, I can teach everybody how to effectively use a cane.

6.What are your plans for continuing your professional growth?

Holding the hard line will go a long way.

7.How would you handle a class that consists of students with a varied level of English skills and capabilities?

I would beat the weaker students hard, until they catch up.

8.What kind of students do you like to work with? What type of students do you think that you could teach most effectively?

The ones who can better withstand excruciating pain.

9.You give an assignment, and a student ridicules the assignment saying it doesn't make sense. What would you do?

It's difficult to say, because after my students have gotten to know me (that is, after five minutes), this eventuality is absolutely impossible to occur.

10.How would you help students feel successful and motivated?

I keep the cane in plain sight on the desk. That keeps them motivated. Every time they walk out of the classroom without having had a taste of it, they feel successful.

11.What methods and techniques do you use to evaluate students progress besides using tests?

I ask them a point-blank question while brandishing the cane. If they answer correctly, it means that they truly know.

12.How would you challenge the slow learner and the advanced learner within the same class?

I sit them next to each other:

Every time the slow learner makes a mistake, I hit the advanced learner.

Every time the advanced learner gets it right, I hit the slow learner.

13.What kind of teachers would you prefer to work with? Why?

I like to work with everyone, as long as they do not interfere with my methods and don't try to steal my cane.

14.What activities would you like to participate in with our school?

Corporal punishments of unruly students.

15.What quality or qualities do you have that would enhance our teaching staff?

Firmness and callous unconcern for the students' physical pain.

16.What are some personality characteristics you find undesirable in people?

Intolerance for pain and overall weakness.

17.Who should be responsible for discipline in a school? Why?

Me, of course.

18.What needs and/or expectations do you have of the school administration?

Every now and then, when I hit a student too hard, my cane breaks. It would be nice of the administration to provide me with a new one.

19.What rules do you have for your classroom?

No talking unless the teacher says so, no whispering, no cheating, no phones.

20.What do you consider to be your strengths and how will you use them in your teaching?

My main strenghts are my beloved bamboo cane, my arm, which holds it, and my heart, which commands it. I use them on a regular basis in the classroom.

So, one day later I got the school's reply: they said that after reviewing my application, they accepted me. I was already suspicious about the .tk domain (Tokelau archipelago), because I know that the Emirates have their own domain and definitely don't need to buy cheap ones abroad.

Then they sent me an 'appointment letter' (almost unreadable) that promised a salary of 5000$ a month, with all kinds of benefits... that's when the alarm bells started ringing, and I started looking for info on this outfit, and I found this thread.

It smacked of scam from a mile away. But still, every 1000 teachers that can sense something wrong, there is one who will fall for it hook, line and sinker and that's how these mother-F-ing Nigerians can thrive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: