Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SCAMS SCAMS SCAMS SCAMS: READ THIS THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiefer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that Hitler part could have gotten you shortlisted.
Nashledanou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiefer wrote:
that Hitler part could have gotten you shortlisted.

Razz possible

anyway, I pulled their leg for a while afterwards, pretending like I was interested and dilly-dallying on the payment (which they ended up asking for: 1500 Dirham, payable by Western Union). I wanted to send them on a 'Safari', but you must pay some 15 bucks to WU to make it believable, and that's exactly 15 bucks more than I'm willing to pay, so after a couple of emails I just told these scammers where to go.

I just wonder if it's possible to inform the police, send them a perfunctory payment (like 1$) so the cops can sting them at the Western Union desk.
kiefer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The police and local press have been informed. One site was blocked locally, but it's really a game of whack'a'mole.

There's a lot of info that comes up in Google. Why people don't come here or research is a mystery. Inexperience I suppose. Or blinded by the need for a job.
Nashledanou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiefer wrote:
The police and local press have been informed. One site was blocked locally, but it's really a game of whack'a'mole.

There's a lot of info that comes up in Google. Why people don't come here or research is a mystery. Inexperience I suppose. Or blinded by the need for a job.

A little of both, I think.

Scammers bank mainly on people's greed, which can overpower the common sense telling that you get nothing for nothing. But sometimes the ruse even looks credible, except that there is always some little glitch or oversight on the scammers' part (in my case, for example, it was their complete disregard for my absurd answers).

In general, when somebody asks me to Western Union money, I always balk and say: why not a bank transfer? At least they are trackable. But even then, hardly any reputable employer will ever ask you to send them money. This should be carved in stone.

I think the police should set a honeypot and catch them in person, otherwise they can keep opening website after website. The UAE's reputation is at stake and they should be worried.
Nashledanou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Here they go again... Reply with quote

Malaysian Institute Of Social Science - Malaysia

Fantastic Opportunity � Earn in the Sun!
Universities, Colleges and Training Centers in Malaysia are seeking dynamic and enthusiastic ESL teachers.

Must be Native English Speaker i.e. English will be your first language.

Requirements

Qualification:
BA/ BSC and TESL qualification ie CELTA,TESOL, DELTA, ICELT etc

Experience:
At least 18 months

Qualities:
You will be dynamic, enthusiastic and energetic. The ideal candidate will enjoy teaching with a passion and will know how to engage, motivate and lead the students. You will have a natural desire and interest in following the progress of the students and leading them successfully through their Exams.

Other:
You will be aware of the cultural sensitivities and so it is important that you will embrace and enjoy working in a truly different culture that Malaysia has to offer.

Duties:
Prepare classroom lessons, teach and monitor students work. You will have the opportunity to play a key role in the development and implementation of the curriculum.

Conditions
Hours of work:
Saturday to Wednesday for up to 6 hours a day (teaching time)

Contract: One year

Salary Package
A very generous package is offered to the right candidate

� A salary of up to 15,687.62 MYRinggits
($4,200.00USD, �3,001.52 GBP per month tax free)

� Accommodation is provided or allowance given.
� Transport to and from work or travel allowance will be given.
� 30 days holidays plus local holidays
� Medical insurance
� Round trip flight

Interested?
Please email : employment@ministryofedumalaysia.tk
dbrtroy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: The Effective Background Check.. Reply with quote

MOD edit
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add this to the suspect advertisements: Dubai British School

The school exists, but a scammer is using their name:

See these two threads:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=70421

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=70471
Phookie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this one?

[email protected] for Governmental education jobs.

I just got an email from them. However the job advertised this:

Salary:4800USD-5000USD

Seems a little too much for one or two years experience.

Also they gave this website with the email application:

www.uaegovtministryofeducations.tk

It is a dead link. It all seems a little suspicious.

kiefer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical of this scam is to use a dot tk pointer to a legitmate site.
Here's the legit address--notice the url ends in .gov.ae
http://www.moe.gov.ae/English/Lists/Announcements/Display.aspx?ID=41
spunkmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: u Reply with quote

[email protected]

and the Dubai British School

A company is posing as the above school. I contacted the real school and they are aware of this scam.

Naughty.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, using the Dubai British School website for the scam started in March or April.

Good advice now is:

1. Make sure that any email addresses that one is given matches those on the website.

2. If they ask for money for the visa before you arrive, 99.9% chance it is a scam.

VS
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They are apparently affilated with the Mawakeb Schools
www.uaeadulteducationstudentstudies.tk

Beware... this appears to be the new scam site. They are making offers with no interviews.

Note the .tk on the address.

VS
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New scammer using the

Madares Al-Ghad program

Name of recruiter: Hassan Mustafa

Usual process... using .tk address and asking you to get in touch with immigration and send $690 for a visa.

AGAIN: No education employer will EVER ask you to arrange your own visa and send cash.

VS
seacanvas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: from the "Ministry of Labour" Reply with quote

Ok, I read this whole thread. I think I may have been victim to a similar scam. I replied to a job post that was claiming to have been directly from the Ministry of Labour. I figured, ok, maybe they have their own programs. I've not worked in the UAE. I read some posts about how, to get the good positions over there, you need a hell of a lot more qualifications than I do! So the fact that I saw this when they were only requiring a BA and TEFL/CELTA, with some experience, I thought I got lucky.

Well I fell for it and submitted my info. One thing I had to do was fill out an "interview form" in which they asked for my passport # and work permit #. Well I've not worked in the UAE, so I don't have one. I left it blank.

The response was immediate. They said they need teachers immediately and sent me an acceptance form, but all they needed was my work permit #.

So, I wrote back explaining that I don't have one, and what is the process. So I'll let you all know what they say. If they ask for money then I know it's a scam.

Also... the address the email came from was [email protected] . When I went to www.ministryoflabour.com, it is a baloney address.

So don't know if it's these same people just changing stripes or someone new, but I don't have a good feeling about it, and I hate that I gave out my passport#. NEVER NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR PASSPORT #!! People. I just learned that one. I felt weird doing it as no one ever asked me to do that. I only have ever had to do that when I've gone to an actual embassy.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel too bad... a lot of people have gone as far as sending passport numbers and thus far we haven't heard of any repercussions of that. Most people do start to get suspicious when they ask for money. And we have had quite a few people post here who had sent various scammers a lot of money... from $300 to over $1000.

The key is always... no one ever gets lucky, so if it sounds too good to be true, it is a scam. If they ask you for money... especially a money order to some bizarre email address... run.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: