Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SCAMS SCAMS SCAMS SCAMS: READ THIS THREAD
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiefer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: SCAMS SCAMS SCAMS SCAMS: READ THIS THREAD Reply with quote

They're at it again. Global Recruiter has posted an ad on another ESL job site. They've taken some advice once mockingly offered the last time Global Recruiter appeared in this forum. Global Recruiter found out about .tk url pointers that will take your obvious free website domain name (freehost.com slash your site) and give you a more legitimate sounding url: yoursite.tk)

Anyone who has come to this forum for information, do yourself a favor and do a search here. One poster went so far as to apply just to see how far he could get trying to dig up some truth, and I believe what eventually came out is that Global Recruiter will ask for some money for a visa application.

Here's the new web address to the same pitiful website:
http://globalrecruiters.tk

MOD EDIT

Global Recruiter is a total scam.
Paddy Wilde

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Global recruiters scam Reply with quote

You are correct there about that outfit Global Bollocks, they are real dodgy. I applied to them not being none the wiser & when I tried to ask them of news of my application they didn't reply. The old story really some thing that seems too good to be true usually is. Maybe alarm bells should have rung when they never asked for qualifications etc. I wish they could be barred from these sites.
Paddy Wilde

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Global recruiters scam Reply with quote

Cheers Billy for that. although they did not ask for money Smile ,they did get my passport number Embarassed . what should we do about that?

I thought about ringing them but, it seems you did the honours for us & which was commendable of you. no surprise of their response. the thing that annoys me is that they still seem to be able to advertise their scam on other sites with continued impunity. we need to contact other sites like peebles etc & warn them etc. I did try but got no response. Would like your sugestions as i do believe we do have to keep fighting them. Very Happy
boomerang_kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Another idea...... and maybe some fun Reply with quote

As an alternative to ignoring them, Rolling Eyes we each could contact them and give them a false identity (name, birthdate, passport number, etc.) and flood them with worthless identities.

It's a shame there's no "super-list" just for the ESL list owners, Shocked which would allow them to warn each other of these scams, and seriously reduce their effectiveness.
Jolie_V

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic has caught my attention.

Can someone tell me if this company - http://www.globalresourc.internetbasedfamily.com/ is the same scam outfit?

Thanks a lot
kiefer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Could Definitely Be a Scam Flags Reply with quote

Yes--it could very well be our friends at Global Recruiting looking to the future when they will have to actually pay money to buy a domain name and pay a server host.

For now it is only a new sub-domain name: globalresourc (sic)--still at a free server host.

If it isn't Global Recruiting, it is very similar in its attempt to get on the internet without having to spend any money, i.e. they're cheap b*st*rds.

This site exists solely to get personal information and a passport number.

Global Recruiting might be trouble shooting their scam projects by visiting this site or others to find out how to appear to be more legitimate.

When a warning went out about flagging websites built at freehost.coms (slash sub-domain name) they tried to fix this by using a DOT TK free pointer which resolves the url as though it is a properly paid for domain--mywebsite.tk--not a dot com--just a pointer to the freehost!

If this is Global Recruiter then what they've done is thrown up a website using a trial period--only this free host arranges the url as subdomain dot freehost dot com. That probably means they haven't paid for the domain name yet!

This is a cheap "point and click" built website currently being hosted for free, asking for the same information such as passport numbers.

However--this particular host seems to be putting the website up for them on a trial basis and once that trial period is over (I'm guessing now--I haven't researched it thoroughly), they MIGHT next actually have to buy a domain name and pay for the host server--around 60 US a year.

The bottom line warning: Never, ever give out your passport number or pay any money until you have signed a contract with a school that's interviewed you and that you know to be legitimate. Then and only under these circumstances will someone need your passport number to issue you an entry visa.

Last edited by kiefer on Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
kiefer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: PS Reply with quote

I took a little time and researched it a bit more. I'm gonna send y'all a bill.

It is Global Recruiting.

Not only is the package exactly the same, but when I clicked this link http://www.globalrecruitingresources.net
the url resolved with this message
http://www.freewebs.com/abuseFrozen.htm

Later, I clicked it again, and it resolved to a blank page with a title bar that simply says new website--the morons have as of yet not put up even an under construction page.

They've bought a dot net domain name! Probably paid for with a credit card issued under a false name obtained through their scams.

Meta tags: Global recruiter, global recruiting resources scam thieves, global recruit resources esl jobs scam thieves, jobs middle east global recruit scam thieves, dubai jobs global recruit resources scam thieves, uae jobs global recruit resources scam thieves--

Hope these search terms brings prudent job hunters to this post.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've asked the MODS if this thread could be made a sticky.

Kiefer... the check is in the mail. Wink

I haven't really checked out these sites. Are they only advertising teacher jobs in the UAE or other places too?

VS
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dxb.com/?p=160#comment-1593

More victims of the Global Recruiters/Zafirah Language Institute scam.
boomerang_kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: More on Job Recruiter Scams Reply with quote

I went and had a look at the URL that Mushmumkin gave us,

Quote:
http://www.dxb.com/?p=160#comment-1593

and was shocked to see how many people had been scammed by these guys. (And I was shocked to see how many people were willing to admit they had actually sent them money, one of them several thousand dollars.)

With a little further sleuthing I was able to find a website called "Dubai FAQs", which has a whole page on Dubai and UAE recruiting agencies: both legitimate and "questionable". Our friends, Global Recruiters, and others are there. It might be useful to have a look.

It's at: http://www.dubaifaqs.com/recruitment-agency-dubai.php

[/url]
kiefer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Yes--Global recruiting resources are Nigerian scam artists Reply with quote

I drilled down the owners of the domain name http://globalrecruitingresources.net using http://whois.net.

I won't mention names--but you can look them up here:
http://www.whois.net/whois_new.cgi?d=globalrecruitingresources&tld=net
[email protected]
14 Minerva street
Lagos, Lagos 23401
NG

Administrative Contact:
234-1-4737774
Netbuilder Limited, 5th Floor Centage Plaza
14, Allen Avenue
Ikeja, Lagos
NG

With these email addresses posted, in no time they will be spidered by the Google bot and subjected to endless spam bots.

Funny--the dot net cost 4.99 sterling/ dot com was one pound more. Bakheel!
kiefer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Domain Suspended Reply with quote

That was easy! I contacted the domain service that licensed Global Recruiting their domain, told them of the abuse and got back this very nice reply within 24 hours:

Dear Mr. Kiefer

We have looked into the matter and have suspended the domain. The abuse dept. is going deeper into the matter, to view their account info and all.

We appreciate your help in notifying us of such cases, and we encourage you to help us fight againt fraud, spamming and phishing.

Regards
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job, Keifer. One small point for us... recognizing that they will be back in a nanosecond with another site. Crying or Very sad

After all, the Nigerians have been sending out the original phishing "letter" for a long time. I read it first in 1970.

VS
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Were they using smoke signals? Reply with quote

Dear veiledsentiments,
1970 - Yikes!! What computer were you using? An IBM 610 Auto-Point?
Regards,
John
P.S. And what the heck were the Nigerians using, especially since the World Wide Web wasn't invented until 1989 (and NOT by Al Gore, by the way; it was, of course, Timothy John Berners-Lee.)
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I read it first in 1970.

VS learned to read at the ripe old age of 14 months. Laughing Was it an actual letter?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: