Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

finding work???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirkpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: finding work??? Reply with quote

How difficult is it to find work if I just show up.. I got all my own materials and degree in hand... Been in this business about 12 years... Really fed up with China at the moment... Also how much cash do I need to get started???
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just showing up is about the only way to get teaching work in Cambodia, as jobs are rarely advertised internationally, except for positions with the handful of real international schools.

There are lots of language schools and around 80 private 'universities', many of which employ foreign teachers for EFL and also to teach substantive subjects like business, management, finance etc. Rates for teaching EFL range from about US$8 at the low end places, to around $14 at some of the better ones. It is possible to get more - up to about $25 an hour - if you can offer subjects such as academic writing or content-based courses.

Be aware that almost everything in Cambodia is part-time and few, if any, places will offer a full-time contract (try ACE if you want to concentrate your energies at one particular place; they pay at the top end of the scale but their standards are fairly high) or any of the peripheral benefits like accommodation and air fare offered by Chinese employers. Mostly you will have to build up enough hours to support yourself by teaching a few hours at different places. Once you prove yourself to be competent and reliable, schools and colleges will gradually give you more hours. The most popular slots, even at the 'universities', are early mornings, evenings and weekends, and it may be difficult to find work outside these times.

In addition to the recent influx of Western TEFLers from Thailand due to the tightening of regulations and deteriorating social and political situation there, you will also find yourself in competition with the local Khmer English teachers, who surprisingly for Asia, are often pretty good. Cambodian students can also be fairly demanding when it comes to Western teachers, and schools will not hesitate to let you go if they receive complaints. That said, it should not be too difficult to build up enough hours to bring in around $1000 to $1200 a month - though it may take a few weeks. The worst time to look for work would be March/April when things begin to wind down for the Khmer New Year celebrations. You should also be aware that there are a stack of local holidays for which you will not be paid. On the positive side, employers are, in general, not quite so venal and grasping as those in Thailand and China, so rip-offs are comparatively rare (they do happen though, so do your homework). Visa formalities are also a breeze, and Phnom Penh can be a very congenial place to live, if you can ignore the squalor and poverty.

The amount you will need to survive until you set yourself up is very subjective. I might not be able to live on an amount you consider to be sufficient. Cambodia is not the cheapest place in Asia by any means and living costs have escalated considerably over the last few months (30% according to government figures, but I think even more than that). I would say an absolute minimum of $2000 to last 6 to 8 weeks, provided you are fairly frugal. Obviously, the more money you have, the greater your cushion which will enable you to be more selective about the jobs you accept. I was living fairly well on about $1500 a month, including rent and utilities, though sometimes I spent more and occasionally a bit less. Bear in mind that you will need to pay deposits equal to two or three months rent if you want your own place.

One final caveat. Make sure that you have adequate medical insurance, with provision for evacuation to Bangkok, Singapore, or even Vietnam in an emergency. Health facilities are slowly improving, but they are still pretty dire and tolerably competent medical care can be VERY expensive. Cambodian employers almost never provide medical insurance.

All in all, I would say that Phnom Penh can be pleasant place in which to live or chill out for a while, but it is not the most wonderful of locations in which to teach.

Hope this helps.
Kirkpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info... i am still not sure where I will go laos , Vietnam or Cambodia... I wouldn't be in country till july or so ... Would this be a bad time?? What about overland travel from Laos?? Is it possible??
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For teaching, I would say Vietnam is better (though I have never worked there), but for a number of reasons I prefer Cambodia as a place to live.

July should be no problem. The language schools teach all year round, as do the 'universities', to all intents and purposes. Terms and semesters are something of an elastic (or non-existent) concept in Cambodia, so there is a fairly constant demand for teachers.

Crossing the border from Laos will not present any difficulties with the Cambodian side. Just make sure you get a business visa on arrival at the frontier ($25 + one photograph), so you do not have leave the country again. The immigration officials at the border may even offer you a one year visa on the spot, but they usually charge slightly more for this than the agencies in Phnom Penh. You'll have no problem whatsoever with visa formalities in Cambodia - a breath of fresh air compared to Thailand and the PRC.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cambodia. try it and see Cool Shocked Very Happy
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to hear about Academic Writing as an option. What manner of qualifications would one need to teach this subject?

I would be fresh out of Uni with good quality essays as a speciality.
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daniel_hayes wrote:
Interesting to hear about Academic Writing as an option. What manner of qualifications would one need to teach this subject?

I would be fresh out of Uni with good quality essays as a speciality.

Generally, experience in teaching academic writing at tertiary level, though some of the top-end universities may also want to see a Master's. Have you ever actually taught writing, rather than just doing it yourself? The skills involved are somewhat different, particularly when dealing with students who use a different writing system, and/or come from a culture with no tradition of literacy even in their own language. Since you state you will be fresh out of university with, I presume, little or no teaching experience, I think it unlikely that any of the better employers would allow you to teach academic writing. You may well be able to do so at some of the hole-in-the-wall institutions - but be assured that they will not be paying you $25 an hour.

I should perhaps point out that it may not be easy to find a position with the more 'reputable' universities in Phnom Penh. The usual Asian suspicion and xenophobia obtains, and to a certain extent it is a case of 'jobs for the boys' (depending on how desperate they are for teachers of a particular subject). Khmers are generally given preference over foreigners. The traditional Khmer modus operandi is that prospective employees are often 'introduced' to employers by an intermediery known to both parties, and some institutions place a much greater emphasis on this than on qualifications or experience. To a somewhat lesser degree, this system can also be applied to non-Cambodians, particularly for the better paying jobs.

I am no longer in Phnom Penh, but I am hearing that there is now a glut of run-of-the-mill Western TEFLers (i.e. the usual degree plus TEFL certificate plus some experience) there, which means far fewer hours to go around.

Last edited by PattyFlipper on Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information P.Flipper.

I have much to think about, but there is a year until I Graduate. Cambodia seems to have that magic something that I need. I intend to do the research so that, when and if i do get there, I will be prepared - to a basic level.

I have never taught writing. That seems to preclude me from University positions. However, I am happy to start at the bottom.

Do you feel that obtaining my CELTA in Cambodia is a good option, or should I get it in Thailand? I want a certificate that best prepares me for teaching, is cost effective, and will be useful globally - not limit me.
MrMrLuckyKhan

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no CELTA courses offered in Cambodia. However, they are offered in Vietnam and Thailand at various locations.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: