Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heredia and Intercultura
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epiclady

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with the previous post entirely. I did only spend five weeks there, and perhaps I didn't stay long enough to absorb what positive qualities the school has to offer, but my personal experience was troubling enough that I felt it needed to be shared. Some of the "pointless policies" I griped about, however, have apparently been eliminated, I've learned, so maybe there was something to that grievance of mine.

The "anger and fuss" I left amidst needs not to be rehashed, especially since it was eventually acknowledged that the way I had been treated was illogical, hurtful, and wrong.

I also agree entirely that it was insulting of me to refer to many of the people at the school as "partiers and surfers", as though being such a thing was bad or unworthy of my standards. Some of the "partiers and surfers" are excellent and intelligent people, and the short time I spent with them, I very much enjoyed. I guess I was trying to make a point about how some of the things that I really felt strongly about were actually shared by many of the staff members, but I happened to be the only one to say anything about it because they didn't really mind, so long as they could make money to have a good time (and that's a big part of what being in this country is about).

To them, then, I truly apologize for such a cheap remark.

Indeed, it would be a wise idea to consult someone else about their experiences with the school. I just know that so many, including myself, sacrificed a lot to come and work for the company--two teachers literally sold everything they owned before coming--and the conditions we expected were simply not there. I should hope things continue to improve at the school.
thebigguy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: INTERCULTURA Reply with quote

I�m sure your ex-coworkers will happily accept your apology. They are all still here have adjusted nicely and once again we are working like a well-oiled machine. Some things for others who may have an interest in working in Costa Rica or perhaps even at our institution.
� First, remember you are coming to a foreign country and things will be different. If you come with the standards of the U.S, Canada, or England you may be disappointed. Ticos work on Tico time. We start all our classes on time yet students have to learn the �gringo� concept of time and it is different. That means that if a copier breaks it may not be fixed in what some may find a timely manner. We have always and will always adapt and deal with any challenges that may come up.
� Also, though our school is very beautiful it does sit in an old Costa Rican building that has been expanded into a school. Thus some of the classrooms may be small.
� Remember, you are coming to the tropics thus there will be more insects (yes including roaches) and its hotter than say Canada.
� The hallmark of Intercultura has always been rugged, adventurous, and adaptable professionals. When people of this like mind get together it is always a good time.
� Under current management we have grown to the largest student population we have ever had and have raised the level of instruction while doing it. On registration day students begin to line up at 6 am. By 9 am the line snakes around the block. Our reputation in the Heredia community is well known.

We have always had a family atmosphere and any of the many teachers who have taught here, and are now located in every corner of the globe, know they will always have a home here in Costa Rica at Intercultura. Pura Vida.
EdwardinCR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: OBM Hereidia Reply with quote

Just what does OBM stand for???? any other info as well greatly appreciated. This place may just be what I need. Thanks,
clarke501

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump. Any more recent experiences to share?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: