Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would like basic Info on Teaching English in CR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mayadog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Would like basic Info on Teaching English in CR Reply with quote

Hello:

I am a complete newbie to this site and interested in teaching English in Rohrmoser or Escazu in San Jose, Costa Rica.

I have lived in Costa Rica for 4 years, am Canadian and 61 young years of age.

I have never taught English per se, but have assisted many Ticos and Ticas with their English.

I took Spanish classes here for 6 months but have learned more by daily practice and can speak and comprehend basic Spanish.

I am semi-retired, have a business but need to supplement my income. I am computer and media literate, can mullt-task, read and write English very well, have written books and proofread and above all I am a natural teacher and very good teacher.

I also have tauight Bridge professionally for 20 years, and consult on all aspects of Natural Foods relating to diet and cooking.
References and testamonials can be made available.

I would to talk with someone who has their own school or private practice. I would be a valuable asset and/or would also like to know the steps and materials needed to teach privately.

You may call me at: 8919-8170 or email me at: [email protected]

regards;

Richard T.
jprimm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest getting an ESL certification at one of the schools in Costa Rica. Then you would be employable..
Mayadog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paying $2000 for a course is a bit much to be paid $5 an hour...if that is what it makes an employable person, but thanks for the suggestion!
jprimm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyi..you can take a course online for under $200. or pay, like most, around $1700.. and the pay is actually 8 to 9 dollars and hour...If you are doing it for the money I would find something else. At least here in Costa Rica...
Mayadog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

online for $200?...really?,,URL? And no I am doing it to supplement income and it would always come in handy at any time being 61 and needing some back up.

is there somewhere I can contact you to discuss this other than the forum?

my phone number is 8919-8170
ElJuero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: Online courses.

You also get what you pay for.
dhsampso

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, you get what you pay for. I did Maximo's course in San Pedro and paid $1,400. Real good course. Worked for them and made around $7/hour. Not bad since they pay a salary based on 30 hours/week. Get the base if you work less than 30 hours (which is often the case) or more money if you work more than 30 hours. A pretty sweet deal considering most places pay per hour and won't pay you for canceled classes sometimes.

One piece of advice. Getting your TEFL/TESOL onsite is much better than online or onsite somewhere in the U.S. The hours of practical teaching you get onsite in Costa Rica prepare you well.
Florestan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Pro-English. When I worked there they employed people with less experience and dare I say it older. The pay is good and the school is pretty professional. You'll find them in the Tico Times.
beenthere96-2005

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: older teachers Reply with quote

Florestan wrote:
Try Pro-English. When I worked there they employed people with less experience and dare I say it older. The pay is good and the school is pretty professional. You'll find them in the Tico Times.

I am glad you mentioned age. I am 53. I had a feeling that I would not fit in at politecnico who have an ad on here now.

They are paying $8 an hour or $1000 for 30 hours a week.

I have a BS and many years of experience in asia, but no TESL course, nor could I afford one with a teenage daugher to support.
dhsampso

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1,000/month for 30hrs/week is very good for teaching. More than I made. You can always tutor on the side (unless the school prohibits you), or in my case, copy edit on the side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: