Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what can i do with an MA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: what can i do with an MA? Reply with quote

I will finish an MA in linguistics/TESOL shortly and would like to try my hand in HK. I'd like to teach adults if possible. Any advice on to secure such employment? Does an 'advanced' degree count for much there? Thanks in advance
ChrisRose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually a first degree, e.g. B.Ed. counts more highly than an M.A. in most areas of education.

As for what can you do with an M.A., well personally I would hang it on the wall and admire it from tiem to time.

As for workign here, well that is subject to the usal visa regulations, e.g. sponsership etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bookworm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree less with Chris; postgraduate courses are taken very seriously; at least if we agree that seriousness is reflected in pay! Once having secured my postgraduate degree in language acquisition my pay on the NET scheme increased by some 7,000 HK dollars a month. I guess Chris simply can't get on the scheme. Also work at unis and other higher education institutions is only possible with an MA at least.
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure which NET scheme you are working for...but the one I work for does not offer any extra money for a master's degree. In fact, if you just have a master's and no teaching credential, your pay can never go above 22K a month.

It is simply not important to the NET scheme. Many applicants last year with only master's degrees were rejected and those who did get accepted were amazed at how low the offered salaries were.

Things could be different on the PNET scheme...I don't know...but somehow I doubt it.
Bookworm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EMB PNET scheme.

Yes, maybe I did not qualify that as I should have/could have. Most 'top range' unis these days recognise the situation that you highlight. As such, the MA - as a one-year, full-time, on-campus MA in language acquisition - that I did also contained a post graduate certificate in methodolgy for teaching language to young learners. This could not be more germane to the post and task in hand!
jenny-pnet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the EMB PNET scheme. I don't think there is any extra money for post grad qualifications. From what I can ascertain, it is purely the bachelor degree and number of years of teaching experience that seem to count. I would be interested to know if it is otherwise. Perhaps I am not getting as much money as I am entitled to, as I do have post grad qualifications.
Bookworm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jenny-pnet wrote:
I don't think there is any extra money for post grad qualifications.

Look at your pay scale. Obviously it must be a PG qualification in primary education.

jenny-pnet wrote:
From what I can ascertain, it is purely the bachelor degree and number of years of teaching experience that seem to count.

Again, look at your payscale.

jenny-pnet wrote:
Perhaps I am not getting as much money as I am entitled to, as I do have post grad qualifications.

How much are you on a month? What area are the qualifications in?
jenny-pnet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Master in Education (TESOL) and fourteen years of teaching experience, as well of course as my Bachelor of Education (Primary). I also have a Graduate Certificate of Education (TESOL). I am on $30 780 HK plus the living allowance of $13 000. Other people without the postgrad quals are on the same amount.
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key to the NET program both primary and secondary is whether or not you are ceritified to teach public school in your own country.

They couldn't care less about your Masters Degree when it comes to your pay. It might make the schools want you more...or less depending on the school, but it does not change how much money you make.
Bookworm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not going to argue, after all, I get the money every month in the bank! You can sit there and say that if you want but I got the increase in pay upon resigning with the PNET scheme after having had my MA certified. A friend of mine had his pay increased by some 22,000 a month upon being awarded his docorate. It was either that or lose him to the House of Saud.
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are really starting to stretch the truth now...22K extra a month for a Phd...for a PNET...where the maximum you can make

From the ED website

Quote:
The salary scale is from HK$17,100 to HK$38,695 (approx.*US$2,197 to 4,971) per month ..

So your friend was making less the min....and then when to the top of the payscale because they got their doctorate...

NET's are on the same pay scale as local teachers. They don't get huge pay raises for extra degrees and neither do we.

There is no point in arguing. Either you have a different job (not a NET/PNET teacher), you have made some sort of mistake...or you are lying....
Bookworm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the money is there every month. Maybe you should haggle when signing...........? (Hint, hint).

Anyway, returning to the original question. Obviously whether or not a postgrad qual counts for much depends to a great extent on your first degree. (I'm looking at my pay scale here.) But that is simply to protect us all from those people, you know, those who "moved into TEFL" after failing at some other job (which they invariably have "on hold" or something).
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all....there is no haggling when it comes to deciding NET teachers salaries...you are placed on the scale according to your experience....end of story...

second...if you got a raise...if may be that they recognized some qualification you had to be on par with a teaching certificate...which would start you at higher salary and take away the pay-cap enforced on those without a teaching cert....otherwise...you did not get more money for having a masters...and you certainly did not haggle to get a pay raise...neither are allowed under the NET program....

i noticed that you failed to bring up your phd friend who got the 22k raise...why would that be...
jenny-pnet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do you get paid, Bookworm? And how many years of teaching experience do you have?
foster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite happy with my pay as of now. Am wondering what will happen with the cuts that are coming.

I have 6 years from Canada, plus 2 years in Japan (which they accepted much to my surprise) and B.Ed. I am making about 24,000 plus allowance.

Mr. Green Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: