Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airfare

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dogUNLEASHED

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Airfare Reply with quote

How often do teachers in China get rooked on the airfare reimbursement?
DosEquisX

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard stories about unis shafting people on airfare. Private academies are certainly known for being quite unscrupulous though.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the refund gets to you as you're leaving and that can be scary ie' 'These guys know I'm committed to fly tomorrow and still no cash'.
I think sometimes also, there is a bit of quiet enforcing going on to make sure you lodge your marks with the teaching dept and pay any outstanding utilities if owing.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not usual, but it does happen. You need to check for precedence. No-name mom and pop operations tend to shaft the teachers a little bit more than huge corporations. But things are changing and I have heard a growing number of foreigners unhappy. It is becoming more and more common, especially if a teacher decides not to stay a second year. The school can simply use that money to pay a recruiter to find a new foreign teacher.

In another unnameable country, it became so common at one point that schools had to pay upfront airflights in order to get a foreign teacher. I believe that it is still pretty common to get upfront flights in that particular land.

In my last school here, I insisted on an upfront flight, which I got. Now however, there are so many foreigners looking for work, my last school will have no problem finding a new teacher without the need to offer upfront flights.

If you have some concerns, mind them well but don't be paranoid about them. Check out past teachers from your school. If they were shafted, chances are you are next.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not usual, but it does happen. You need to check for precedence. No-name mom and pop operations tend to shaft the teachers a little bit more than huge corporations. But things are changing and I have heard a growing number of foreigners unhappy. It is becoming more and more common, especially if a teacher decides not to stay a second year. The school can simply use that money to pay a recruiter to find a new foreign teacher.

In another unnameable country, it became so common at one point that schools had to pay upfront airflights in order to get a foreign teacher. I believe that it is still pretty common to get upfront flights in that particular land.

In my last school here, I insisted on an upfront flight, which I got. Now however, there are so many foreigners looking for work, my last school will have no problem finding a new teacher without the need to offer upfront flights.

If you have some concerns, mind them well but don't be paranoid about them. Check out past teachers from your school. If they were shafted, chances are you are next.
therock

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest change to airfare allowance is the amount itself. Before most schools would provide reimbursement on the full amount provided you had a receipt, in the absence of a receipt they would look up the lowest airfare to your country and give you that. Nowadays most schools state in the contract an airfare allowance of somewhere between 6000 - 9000.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to amend the contract, depending on...

do you want a reimbursement (unlimited? reasonable? maximum)
and will show a receipt?

do you want an allowance that you can spend on taobao.
therock

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:
you might want to amend the contract, depending on...

do you want a reimbursement (unlimited? reasonable? maximum)
and will show a receipt?

Most schools will not give an "unlimited" amount on airfare, you could try and negotiate for the full amount, but you're likely to get a set limit of between 6000 - 8000.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school may justify the lower allowances as the Chinese airlines (Southern, Hainan etc) have vastly expanded their services. I know on some routes they are discounting like mad.
Those discounts may not be available in FT home countries especially if you don't have time to book well in advance ie your visa arrives late.
With normal lead time I can't get a return on Qantas, Cathay or Air NZ for less than RMB10000.
shadowrider

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
The school may justify the lower allowances as the Chinese airlines (Southern, Hainan etc) have vastly expanded their services. I know on some routes they are discounting like mad.
Those discounts may not be available in FT home countries especially if you don't have time to book well in advance ie your visa arrives late.
With normal lead time I can't get a return on Qantas, Cathay or Air NZ for less than RMB10000.

IFAIK, Thats an ICAO/ travel agent thing, I think. discounts (unless paid online by credit card) are not normally available unless the flight originates in the country where you book. I could be wrong, but thats my experience from travel agents.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we're out of synch here shadow.
The FAO phones Hainan Air and is told a Beijing-Sydney and return is RMB8000.
That's what they base their allowance policy on.
Doesn't matter to them that an FT originating in Sydney can't buy a Sydney-Beijing and return ticket on Hainan for under the AUD equivalent of RMB10000.
The actual figures (RMB8000 or RMB10000) don't matter it is the gap between them.
One FT at my last gig came to China on a one-way. The FAO arranged for the flight back on a Chinese airline whereby the FT had to meet a dodgy geezer at the school gate and hand over the RMB in exchange for the ticket.
My guess is that someone in the airline is trading tickets on their own behalf.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: