Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good International Schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:15 am    Post subject: Good International Schools Reply with quote

Hi.

My family and I are moving to the UAE this August or early next year. We are concerned about finding a good English school for my daughter. She is bilingual Japanese/English, but her schooling is in Japanese. We read and write in English at home, but she is below her grade level (which is just about to change from 4 to 5).

Can anyone recommend a good school in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, or Al Ain? Does anyone know which schools to avoid?

We have a slight preference for an American curriculum because that would better suit our heritage and my daughter's probable future, though a British one would be a close second. We would also prefer a school with language support for her English.

Thanks,
Cal
Albulbul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: schools in UAE Reply with quote

Al Ain is two hours by road from Dubai. Where are you going to be ? If in Dubai you could hardly bus your daughter to Al Ain on a daily basis.

There are good schools offering British or American curriculum but they cost a lot. Is your employer paying an educational allowance ? Did you ask your employer about schools ? If he could not or would not answer your questions I would think twice if I were in your shoes.

TESOL Arabia has a website with links to all kinds of information.
Cal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Good International Schools in the UAE Reply with quote

Thanks Albulbul,

As I don't have a job yet, we don't know where exactly we will be living, but we'll try to get set up in Dubai, Abu Dhabi or Al Ain. Our final choice will depend on where jobs are available for me, and where we find a good school for my daughter. Particularly, she'll need extra support for English reading and writing.

The pay packages I've heard about all offer a tuition benefit that will cover most if not all costs.

In researching schools, we've checked all the sources we can find (the internet and books), but the voice of first hand experience with specific schools would be a great help.

Perhaps we'll see you at the TESOL Arabia Conference.

Cheers,
Cal
Pat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: International schools Reply with quote

A North American married to a Japanese coming to the UAE. Well, there are several of us here, but you should know about the schools. Most are very good, no doubt. But I live in Dubai and all North American curriculum schools' tuition fees exceed the education allowance of my employer, the HCT. Some schools exceed it by just a few 1,000 dhs, but the American school of Dubai (ASD) exceeds it by 20,000 dhs. That over 5,000 US$. It's not undoable, but you should come into it with your eyes open. Also, Dubai, is without a doubt the most expensive emirate. So, I hear that Abu DHabi has less expensive schooling, but I do not know.
I don't know if the non-urban areas have north american schools, you'd have to check. I think that Dubai, Abu DHabi and Sharjah would have them.
Anyway, ASD, Emirates International School and teh Dubai American Academy are all online. These use either an American Curriculum or offer the IB - International Baculaurate, which is well accepted in the States.
Katie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Good Schools Reply with quote

Hi Cal
You seem to be getting good info. In Al Ain there is, i think, only the Al Ain English Speaking School which is as the name indicates for kids who are fluent in English either first or second language. It follows the National Curriculum for England & Wales fairly well. Have heard that Primary i.e 4 to 11 years is good but that 11 to 16 and +16 is not so good. Definitelya lot cheaper than the Dubai schools. Heard good things about Al Khubairat in Abu Dhabi, similar to AAES but better eqipped/facilities. Probably has an American school as well. Maybe not a lot of American kids in it but will follow the curriclum you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: