Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is your take?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: What is your take? Reply with quote

Dave has opened up a Ukraine thread to reflect the growth of Ukraine's ESL industry. It had to happen, 47 million people, larger than France and a growing ESL marketplace. Thanks Dave!

So what's YOUR take (or skinny if you prefer the term) on the Ukraine ESL market? How do you see the career possibilities?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice new forum.

They should move all the other threads of the Ukraine in here as well. There were tons of them.
FM3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as ecocks knows, I am sold on Ukraine and hope I am there soon! I've been there many times and I want to work there.
ecocks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: What I like best Reply with quote

is that it has a blend of European and uh, other in its atmosphere. It has an edge, but is comfortable when you need it to be. The masses are bustling (hustling) and trying to move forward but you can build relationships of friends, family, professionals and students with only a bit of effort. Prague struck me similarly but Kyiv lacks the throngs of tourists, prostitutes and backpackers. Nothing against any of those folks but it keeps that "edge" that I mentioned above.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sadebugo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: What I like best Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
is that it has a blend of European and uh, other in its atmosphere. It has an edge, but is comfortable when you need it to be. The masses are bustling (hustling) and trying to move forward but you can build relationships of friends, family, professionals and students with only a bit of effort. Prague struck me similarly but Kyiv lacks the throngs of tourists, prostitutes and backpackers. Nothing against any of those folks but it keeps that "edge" that I mentioned above.

I got the feeling that it was very similar to eastern Slovakia in culture/attitudes. I was stationed only an hour away from the border but only made it there once. I wish I'd had more opportunities to visit. Please share some interesting experiences with us!
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Things that I enjoy... Reply with quote

The history of the region is interesting and you can find fortesses, palaces, churches and monasteries all over the country. Greek colonies in the Crimea, Polish palaces north of Lviv, even one of the last missile silos built before perestroika are all fascinating, at least to me. Kamynets-Podilski (pardon the spelling) is an incredible walled-fortress town which you will wonder how anyone could ever successfully attack without starving them out through seigecraft. You find old european architecture mixed in with soviet panelkt buildings and hundred year old townhomes.

Great food, napoleans, varenyky (like raviloi with different kinds of fillings), coffeehouses everywhere, sidewalk cafes, etc. Finding some places which have actually taught their employees customer service. Bargaining with taxi drivers (THERE ARE THE REAL UKRAINIAN SCAMMERS!). Shame I grew up HATING beets but I guess many people really LOVE their borscht.

But the people are best. For the most part, I avoid expats. A couple of other teachers, some professionals and NGO folks, but I have witnessed too many ugly tourist incidents and the teachers are an iffy bunch usually. My extended Ukrainian family is varied and, for the most part, pretty enjoyable. They provide plenty of contacts and a good cross-section of the society.
canucktechie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: What I like best Reply with quote

Sadebugo wrote:

I got the feeling that it was very similar to eastern Slovakia in culture/attitudes.

You probably visited Transcarpathia which was in fact part of (Czecho)Slovakia prior to WWII and before that was part of the Hungarian Kingdom along with Slovakia.

Western Ukraine has the most Polish influence, the farther east you go the more Russian it gets. Kiev is sort of in the middle.
mise_me_fein

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do most people speak Russian or Ukrainian?
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Varies Reply with quote

In Western Ukraine, the tendency is to use Ukrainian. In the East, Russian. Kyiv is mostly Russian. I stick with trying to learn Russian since many more people speak it worldwide, as opposed to Ukrainian. I think if I was going to work in Lviv, I would probably have focused on Ukrainian.
DrVanNostrand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anti-semitism a problem in the Ukraine?
ytuque

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently spent 5+ months in Eastern Ukraine which is the Russian part of the Ukraine. Anti-semitism is alive and well. The prevailing opinion is that Jews are intelligent but clannish and completely untrustworthy especially in financial matters. A businessman summed it up by saying Jews can either be the best or absolutely worst of people. A number of locals blame every problem on the Jews from the sad state of the economy to cabbage causing flatulence.

If you are Jewish, I think that you can expect to be insulted regularly in Eastern Ukraine, but it won't go farther than that. In general, these people are suspicous of foreigners. If you are Jewish and a foreigner, this will be compounded. If you can deal with an occasional offensive comment, you will be ok. Don't expect any western style political correctness from the locals.

The anti-semitism in the Ukraine doesn't come anything close to what I observed in the middle east or Mexico.
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stereotypes live on. Although a Romanian mentioned to me that among the Rom, Scots are universally ridiculed as tight-fisted, penny-pinching sharpsters who drive a hard bargain. Here in Kyiv, I know of a few Jewish folks and they seem to get along okay. For instance, the owner of the Kyiv Post is Jewish so there appear to be the same opportunities as everyone else enjoys. There are a couple of synagogues in town and the skinheads mostly seem to target based on superficalialities like skin colors and clothing styles. I have seen a couple of guys walking through the metros wearing yarmulkas (hope I spelled that right) and no one was chasing them with sticks or knives. Certainly this is the area of the world where the word ghetto was born though and you should be prepared to deal with feelings you run into.
MO39

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ytuque wrote:

The anti-semitism in the Ukraine doesn't come anything close to what I observed in the middle east or Mexico.

I'm an American Jew. I've never been to Ukraine, birthplace of my grandparents, but beginning in 1966, I have spent a great deal of time in Mexico and am living there right now. While I am aware of the existence of anti-Semitism in this country, I have never been the target of anti-Semitic comments or heard them from those who weren't aware of my ethnic background. I'd be interested in reading about what you observed here, and when you observed it.
ytuque

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandfather was from a small town near Hermosillo Sonora. I have spent some time in Mexico, and a lot of time with Mexican Americans since I grew up in San Diego. So I am very surprised to hear that they aren't insulting Jews south of the border these days. However, I am sure that you rarely hear gringo without pinche before it! Smile

Who are you hanging out with in Mexico, upper class and educated or working class people? If the former, they are not typical Mexicans.
MO39

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ytuque wrote:
My grandfather was from a small town near Hermosillo Sonora. I have spent some time in Mexico, and a lot of time with Mexican Americans since I grew up in San Diego. So I am very surprised to hear that they aren't insulting Jews south of the border these days. However, I am sure that you rarely hear gringo without pinche before it! Smile

Who are you hanging out with in Mexico, upper class and educated or working class people? If the former, they are not typical Mexicans.

Perhaps in Mexico City, where I live, attitudes towards Jews are different than they are in little towns in northern Mexico. I don't usually hear "gringo" or "pinche gringo" coming out of people's mouths and certainly not directed at me, maybe because I'm a gray-haired middle-aged woman.

I hang out with middle-class educated people, but in my neighborhood I have friendly relations with the locals, some of whom are more working-class, a and some of whom are not Mexican at all, like the Lebanese owner of my favorite sidewalk caf�.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Ukraine All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: