Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How difficult is it to find work in KSA/middle east?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverdolls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: How difficult is it to find work in KSA/middle east? Reply with quote

My husband and I had been sending off his CV's (a lot!) everywhere including here in Saudi (our last option to find work for being desperate), but it seems like no one wants to hire him. We're not getting any responses from the employers- sigh! My husband got hired to work in Libya but he won't be able to bring his family(wife n baby) w/ him so he turned the job down. My husband has a BA (Eng Lit.), Celta, Tefla n atleast 5 yrs. experience, he's a UK citizen n Canadian but mostly Brit, worked in England, Russia n Canada. We know that most of the employers in the middle east hire people w/ MA/teaching qualification but some still hire people w/ just BA's qualification aswell. We're planning to stay in KSA/middle east for few yrs. so he can have an opportunity to take his MA n pay his debts. Well, how difficult is it to find work out there especially in KSA?
-Thanks
desert_traveller

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression was that employers only look at RELEVANT professional qualifications, ie your hubby's BA in Eng Lit will not count if he wants to get a teaching job, so in this respect he will be CELTA qualified (unless he wants to teach English Literature).

I might be totally wrong, though.
huntjuliehunt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would both be welcome in Korea, and could work at the same school.

Saudi seems to not be a very heterosexually friendly place; maybe it's that he's married.
cmp45

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntjuliehunt wrote:
Saudi seems to not be a very heterosexually friendly place; maybe it's that he's married.

This makes absolutely no sense !
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't give up hope just because of a lack of response. Gulf employers are famous for not responding to applications until the last minute, by which time you have probably set yourself up with another job. Don't be surprised if at some stage you hear from one or more of these people asking if you can submit your details for a visa application, and if you can be in Riyadh asap.

While it is true that in theory most good Saudi employers only take applicants with MAs, in practice some of them will settle for a BA, especially if the candidate has ME experience.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your husband has excellent qualifications. I am surprised he hasn't got a reply yet. Probably just lack of time.

Tell him to apply to KFUPM. With a BA and only five years experience the salary won't be the best, but he'll be able to get the family over.
Zajko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm likewise very surprised that your husband hasn't had a number of decent employment offers - from Saudi, Oman, Kuwait or one or two other places - given the qualifications and experience you've stated. I know for a fact that PSU in Riyadh (just to name one) were hiring teachers with a BA and 2-3 years experience for this academic year, and still having problems finding suitable candidates, offering a reasonable (not great, but reasonable) salary and all the usual benefits.

I have a few names and contact email addresses for employers in the area which I'd be happy to pass on, if it's any use - just PM me - but many of these will also fit the bill which others have described here of Saudi/Gulf employers who tend to take a month or three to reply and then suddenly email to ask if you're available to start work next week.
windstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried to fill out PSU's online application form but it does not work or I could not figure out how it works. Anybody there with an idea?
Zajko

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...that might have something to do with the fact that they were short of teachers some time back, of course!

If you need a contact name and email address to reach the relevant person in the department directly, and this isn't listed on their website, PM me.
bourgoinpierre

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try looking at tefl.com and applying for Bell International in association with Obeikan.
jmarkowsky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also puzzled by huntjuliehunt's comment about KSA not being heterosexually friendly. What does that mean exactly? Schools prefer to hire homosexuals over heterosexuals??
Zajko

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think that was just one of those weird off-the-wall comments from someone who either (a) knows very little about Saudi or (b) had a bad experience there. Perhaps both.

The truth is rather different: Saudi society revolves around marriage and the family in many ways, and it's a far easier and more comfortable location to live in as a married person than as someone who's single (whether you're male, female, straight, gay or into goats). Some employers at the lower end of the spectrum do like to take singles over married couples for financial reasons - lower costs in airfares, accommodation, schooling for kids etc - but many equally recognise that a married couple or family are perhaps less likely to up and leave in the night after a few weeks because it wasn't all as rosy as they'd expected it to be.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a flakey comment. Responsible employers in KSA - and there are some - are quite happy to offer married status. KSA is a family-oriented society.

I am quite happy to make suggestions on receipt of a pm.

Last edited by scot47 on Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
jmarkowsky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've heard is that single heterosexual males (like myself) pose a bit of a threat to some employers because the Saudi males are protective of their women. So they prefer to hire married men with families. That's why I was confused by the previous posters comment, because I've also heard it's essentially a crime to be a homosexual. Yet, being single means it's cheaper for them to hire you. Seems complicated. Anyway...
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Society is run in such a way that you as a male will never meet a saudi female. So how are you a threat ? Dream on ! Gender apartheid rules !

Men never come into contact with females outside the family - unless the women are shameless foreigners.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: