Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going to Iraq and Ruin? - This is Rich
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's To Be Done in Iraq?
Expand NATO, a la Friedman
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Get Out As Soon As Possible
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
Install A " Puppet Government "?
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Have Elections Quickly
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Heck, I Don't Know
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
None of the Above - Here's My Solution
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 18

ohman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Terrorists would be able to brag they drove a superpower out of "their" country

Ah, peace with honor. There's a winning combination.
Wouldn't it be cheaper just to put Iraqis on the dole? Hearts and minds aren't going to be won with stepped up patrols and more aggressive searches. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the quote, Ohman!

Where did you get it from?
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: The Princess Bride Reply with quote

Dear Cleopatra,
I believe it's taken from a very good movie ( well, I liked it, anyway ) called "The Princess Bride", based on the novel by S. Morgenstern ( I think William Goldman did the screenplay ).
Regards.
John
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Classic Blunders - continued Reply with quote

By the way, talking about "classic blunders", well, I'd say Dubya and Co. are engaged in yet another one. Now that we've made (what I consider to be ) the BIG mistake of invading Iraq, we're trying to manage the aftermath on the cheap, especially with regard to the troops involved.
But here's an editorial that tells it all quite well, I'd say:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/04/opinion/04LUTT.html

Regards,
John
ohman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Princess Bride, William Goldman screenplay--you are right sir. Good movie.
ohman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who wants to do the math? At the current rate of US KIAs, and if the increased percentage continues to climb exponentially, when will we hit 58,000 (give or take) KIA, the magic number for calling it quits?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Ayrak Reply with quote

It is all very worrying for all of us. For the life of me I cannot see what the plan of the US Commander-in Chief is. Maybe he doesn't have one ?
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: A man with a plan Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
His plan? That's an easy one. It's to get re-elected in '04, and, to that end, not to do/say anything that might possibly jeopardize such an outcome. Thus, the "good news" spin on reports from Iraq and the extreme reluctance to commit any more troops to the occupation.
Regards,
John
ohman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Usage Reply with quote

I know he doesn't mean this literally but do you think Friedman could've rephrased this? Suggesting to Iraqis that we're going to lock them up until they agree to participate in Operation Iraqi Freedom smacks of some kind of "We destroyed the village to save it" logic.

Quote:
The U.S. administrator in Baghdad, Paul Bremer, needs to lock the 24 members of the G.C. in a room and not let them out until they produce a workable process for electing or appointing a constitution-writing committee.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/06/opinion/06FRIE.html
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Locked and loaded Reply with quote

Dear ohman,
I read that article earlier this morning. Interesting, isn't it, how Mr. Friedman never mentions the likely - to my mind - results of such a "lock-up". First, there's the fact that any outcome delivered by such a bunch of hand-picked "puppets" is probably not going to gain the whole-hearted acceptance of many/most Iraqis ( or, for that matter, of much of the rest of the world ). And second, even if it did, and "free and fair elections" actually were to take place, just whom does Mr. Friedman think would be the likely winners?
Regards,
John
ohman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Kill em all, let Allah sort them out Reply with quote

John,

And again, Ms. Dowd hit the nail on the head when she suggests that the least our boss could be doing is attending a few funerals while on the stump for re-election.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/06/opinion/06DOWD.html

Friedman also says:
Quote:
those people killing Iraqis and Americans today are really trying to kill the first popularly based constitution-writing process in the Arab world.

Nope. They're just trying to kill Americans.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Say cheese Reply with quote

Dear ohman,
Lord, you'll never be a "political advisor". Look - photo ops that have you landing in a flight suit on an aircraft carrier are great PR. But ones that have you greeting returning coffins with a "commander-in-chief" salute are
NOT. You have to keep the priorities straight.
Regards,
John
ohman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Hanovarians Reply with quote

John,

Ah yes. The flight suit.
After Dubya got elected, I went around muttering something about how we were now entering our Hanovarian period having elected George II.

One thing the Brit George II is remembered for is that he was the last of the warrior Kings, the last to actually fight alongside the troops in battle.

Why does ours have to be such a bussy?

Last edited by ohman on Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
ohman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After teaching Arabs students for so long, I too have develobed a broblem bronouncing stobs.

Last edited by ohman on Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Clark on Iraq Reply with quote

Well, Clark hasn't provided any magic formula for success here, no daring ( and perhaps unworkable ) new policies. But I'd say that what he proposed is, at least, an improvement upon the present handling.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=694&e=3&u=/ap/20031106/ap_on_el_pr/clark_iraq

Regards,
John

P.S. By George, ohman, you're right:
"George possessed three passions: the army, music and his wife. He was exceptionally brave and has the distinction of being the last British sovereign to command troops in the field (at Dettingen against the French in 1743). "
Now there's a leader who could credibly exclaim: "Bring 'em on".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: