Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pro Linguis School in Belgium
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
George Best

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Belgian students Reply with quote

My experience of Belgain students was not a good one.They are extremely demanding and are very quick to complain to the director of the school if their perception of good lessons is not being met.Also they are not friendly and quite stand-offish-that was my experience at Pro Linguis anyway
hereandthere

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Belgium - Pro Linguis Reply with quote

Hey Roywebcafe...how was the job in Ceran? I was going to go there, but decided to go to Pro Linguis instead...would be interesting to find out what you thought of the place, work etc..
I've just started at Pro Linguis..people seem nice enough, chef is a pretty good too, the food is school canteen food( average to good). We have access to the school car if we want to go anywhere - but we do get charged for the petrol (something per Km, can't remember how much), but a bunch of the teachers have cars - so no transport problems yet (there is a bus, but I haven't tried getting it yet and still figuring out the timetable)
students - had a 37hr week when we had students here over the Easter holidays, the hours have gone down, but I've been give some regular adult and kids classes so I can count on 10hrs a week plus whatever my come my way...suppose it will give me a chance to work on my French in the language lab...boring but effective...
accommodation - got a small room - but it has an ensuite bathroom (toilet and bath) - it's free and I'm saving on rent and the need to commute.
I'm sure there is more - but I'm still getting used to the place...so more later...
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceran was very good. The staff were very friendly. And was a good place to save money. Problem was isolation. I had to walk 2km downhill.Ok. but 2km back or taxi. not good if you have an inflamed achilles tendon. I had to see a physio in Spa. Spa is a small tourist place so getting a taxi is a real hassle. the train link from spa anywhere else besides vervier is a hassle to. But living at Ceran is very comfortable. food is fit for a king. and you can chill out in a chateua. The students are all corporate clients so they get the best and teachers are expected to eat with them and share in great food and drink. So not bad.

The teaching methodology at Ceran is very particular so it doesn't help you to develop as a teacher if you intend teaching anywhere else except maybe Berlitz or another Ceran holding. Having done a CELTA doesn't help you at Ceran much either. All in all glad i did it. I must add we had a refugee from Pro linguis called Gareth. He had bad things to say about Pro linguis including one staff member bursting in on his lessons and shouting at him for not using their methodology.

Well like to hear how you get on. I would also like to use my CELTA in my next job and in Belgium if poss. Trouble is schools don't help finding accommodation and its all freelance!
Natworld

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, hope you don't mind me bringing this feed back to Pro Linguis, but I'm thinking of accepting an offer from there today, and I can't PM people yet.

If you are contented with just sitting in the middle of the countryside, doing your work and getting the odd day trip out, should it be ok out there?

I find the Autumn/Winter months pretty dreary anywhere, and as I've lived in Belgium for 5 years growing up, and I speak French I'm definitely considering it. But I would appreciate finding out from those who have worked there how things were, and how everything was after handing in notice.

Thanks very much!
PSSilva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: pro linguis belgium Reply with quote

any news on this school? i have a friend thinking about moving there, reviews arent that great
ioamosalerno

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, anyone here have any idea if CERAN sponsors work visas for non-EUers, or like most everywhere else, no deal? thanks
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with sponsoring a non-EU citizen is that the school has to argue to its national government that 'you' have some skill/qualification that no EU candidate for the job has. With a basic TEFL cert and little/no experience, that's obviously not likely to happen.
Exteacher

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked at Pro Linguis and found it to be a great experience. Some of the dearest friends I made were teachers there and I learned a lot about teaching too. So it isn't impossible to take positives out of the experience.

If you can put up with a certain degree of solitude then it is a great place to go. It is in a beautiful spot and it really isn't that hard to get into Arlon or Luxembourg if you wish to do so.

As with most places, it's a case of whether you click with a place and the people or not. I have worked at some schools around Europe that people have loved working at and I, personally, didn't appreciate them.

I also found that the locals were friendly and welcoming if you take the chance to get to know them. Of course speaking French helps but there are always those who are looking for a bit of extra practice...

Even though the taxes in Belgium are high, it is still possible to save quite a good amount of money as you don't really have any expenses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: