Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One Way Ticket
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pest2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should get a open-ended, return ticket, anyway. There's no way to be sure your job will work out in Taiwan. If it doesn't, you have 2 weeks to pack up and leave... and having the comfort of that return ticket is nice just in case you dont want to be scrambling to escape at the last minute after your school here didnt work out (which, given the high turnover rate of schools in Taiwan is very very likely).
JZintl25

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: one way ticket Reply with quote

I'm flying to Taiwan tomorrow morning. My employer told me that previous students never were questioned about an onward ticket or return ticket. But I talked to American Airlines on the phone and they said you need a return ticket to the United States. I'm hearing so many mixed stories I don't know what's going on. I wouldn't mine buying a cheap ticket to Hong kong or Thailand but I won't be able to buy to return to the U.S. Let me know if anyone has any experience with this.
crimsonwhite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way around this is to buy a ticked to the nearest location outside the country, in the case of Taiwan that would be hong kong or Singapore. If you book with eva air they will do a full refund, it will only cost you $24 for a processing fee.
Dont book for mainland china, because you would be required to buy a chinese visa (which can get expensive)

good luck
yamahuh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the Singapore recommendation but the concept is valid. You don't need a return ticket to the point of your initial departure, you just need a ticket out of Taiwan. Hong Kong, Macau, Philippines, Japan, Korea are all relatively cheap tickets from Taiwan.

I've posted on this before but I'll mention it again. I have 'heard of people' using doctored tickets in the past. When you get an e-ticket, save it as a Word.doc because it's not hard to mess with departure, arrival and flight times, flight numbers etc. Just go online and check flights and specifics, input the necessary info (all available online) and voila - a departure ticket.
JZer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamahuh wrote:
Not sure about the Singapore recommendation but the concept is valid. You don't need a return ticket to the point of your initial departure, you just need a ticket out of Taiwan. Hong Kong, Macau, Philippines, Japan, Korea are all relatively cheap tickets from Taiwan.

I've posted on this before but I'll mention it again. I have 'heard of people' using doctored tickets in the past. When you get an e-ticket, save it as a Word.doc because it's not hard to mess with departure, arrival and flight times, flight numbers etc. Just go online and check flights and specifics, input the necessary info (all available online) and voila - a departure ticket.

Some travel agents will also provide you with a paper that looks like a return ticket. When I first came to Taiwan my agent in the US provided me with a fake return ticket.
Vendetta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a 60 day visa extendable. I found a teaching job before 30 days were up, and the boss got my work permit in 30 days without me having to leave the island. If you just only have a 60 day visa and can get a job before the the 30 day mark, then you don't have to leave the country, because it takes 30 days to process the paper work for an ARC. Hope this helps. Cool
yamahuh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the issue isn't how fast you can find a job within a 60 day period. On a tourist visa or visa exempt entry you are technically not allowed to work or seek employment of any kind and therefore should be prepared to prove that you will be leaving the country by producing an onward ticket.

That's not to say you will be asked to produce it - just that you should have something in case you are..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: