Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RECRUITMENT AT QU
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redsoxman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on your college, doesn't it VS. You know that. Sure, I'm working at HCT right now. There is some committee work, but it's not too bad and I have never worked weekends. The management at my college is reasonable and fairly flexible. I know some colleges are not as good as the one I'm at. As far as the amount of take home work, it in no way compares with the work my bud has where he is now. They have to prove themselves time and time again. At least I don't have a big bro watching me and we are not encouraged to report on other teachers here unlike QU where they apparently have recently introduced a complaint form which allows you to squeal on other teachers. That is not the scene here. QU teachers work weekends too. When I visited my bud, he had weekend work. I can't remember what it was, but it was a Saturday. HCT is a big outfit with a lot of colleges, some are iffy places but some are real good and mine is real good.
harrythehook

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all the guys who gave me advice. I've decided on the UAE. I've already had two confirmed offers and still have my TESOLArabia interviews. So enough said about this. I've learned from other people that if someone doesn't want you, they just don't send a reply. I guess that's what happened in my case. Not very professional but then who cares anyway? QU was low on my option list so I'm OK with it. I'm pretty excited about my offers but I want to see what the interviews bring. So enough said on this topic. Let's finish it here.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redsox, please share which college you're in...I'd like to know which one I should be requesting.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly agree that the UAE provides a more varied lifestyle, but I have to wonder about this 'friend' of yours. He sounds like one of those chronic whingers that every department seems to get a couple of... who are never happy... who exaggerate everything... and make everyone avoid them whenever possible.

From my contacts there, it also appears that he is not telling the complete truth about the situation, and perhaps you should beware of being a part of his problems and passing on falsehoods about an employer where you say that you have never worked.

The fact that in almost every post whether it is relevant or not that you have to attack QU makes all of your posts look suspect. Add to that the fact that you say that you work at HCT, but seem to describe it in a way that no other HCT person ever has.

Your credibility is at risk here.

VS
pencilead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: On Vs the commentator Reply with quote

Don't you think he may have left QU for HCT? Might you be in a better position to comment if you "knew" rather than simply commenting on it from your desk in the states?

Pencil
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He 'claims' that he never worked there, but only interviewed.

He might be in a better position if he actually looked more like he 'knew' what he is talking about. His comments on QU are different from what people I know there have been saying... and his description of HCT sounds nothing like the HCT where I taught and where dozens of my friends still teach.

At least it is clear who I am as I make no pretense at being someone else... or somewhere else... than I am.

How about you?

VS
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it would serve everyone on this board well to say that we really don't have true anonymity here. The forum's admin people can obviously tell where we are posting from based on the IP address. So if, for example, you said you lived and worked in the UAE but all your posts came from Qatar (and you were making some pretty negative comments about an employer in Qatar where you say you've never worked), then it would pretty much discredit every claim you made on this board (and others). Just sayin'...
pencilead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Things change over time Reply with quote

Dearest Vs, things change over time don't they? You have been gone from the area at least ten years, and even though you may have taught at HCT, things would have invariably changed from what once was. Give the guy a break. Maybe he actually works there.

Pencil
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no reason to give anyone a break who seems to be playing sockpuppet. The reason for this board is to give information with some validity... not give people with an agenda a place to play and spread lies.

And no... HCT hasn't really changed since I left. It has only become bigger, more bureaucratic, and more demanding of its staff. I have verified that fact with numerous friends of mine, some of whom have been there since my sojourn.

The more this poster talked about HCT, the more obvious it was that he hadn't worked there.

VS
bje

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Things change over time Reply with quote

pencilead wrote:
Dearest Vs, things change over time don't they? You have been gone from the area at least ten years, and even though you may have taught at HCT, things would have invariably changed from what once was. Give the guy a break. Maybe he actually works there.
Pencil

Give the guy a break? What for? It's patently obvious that one or possibly two people are posting ill-written poison about QU under a handful of names at every opportunity. The language use is similar, and 'Redsoxman' appears to be amongst them. You may also know something I don't, 'pencilead'.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's patently obvious that one or possibly two people are posting ill-written poison about QU under a handful of names at every opportunity

And quite cleverly, too. Lots of positive posts about the UAE, how it's "amazing", lots to do, etc., HCT is great, blah blah blah...and then? A quick jab about a "buddy" at QU and what a hard time he's having and "Boy, am I glad I came here to HCT in the UAE!" Shocked
pencilead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Ok guys, Reply with quote

Apologies to all who commented before me on "redsoxman". After reading what Vs. and others had to say about him it seems to me that I was a bit naive.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrisdaveloshoff wrote:
harrythehook wrote:
Still nothing from the head, is there someone else I should write to? I think I'll give up. I've got 4 confirmed interviews set up at TESOLArabia so things are looking good. One more, so maybe I should give QU a miss..

Make a big decision in your life: Leave QU for now before you regret it.

The fact that you secured 4 interviews, you are OK and just try to land a good job in the UAE.

Hope this helps.

Leave now before you regret it? Have you worked for QU before, Chris? OT, but I was curious where in Sri Lanka you work. Visited a few years ago, loved it, but never found much in the way of ESOL positions that could sustain me.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One must always be aware of agendas here. For instance, another new poster whose messages made little sense is the OP on this thread. A quick read will show that it looks as if his goal was not to learn about QU and his application there, but to attack QU. I suspect another sockpuppet.

VS
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: RECRUITMENT AT QU Reply with quote

harrythehook wrote:
I applied to QU a few months back in reply to their advertisement on Dave's. I got a prompt formula reply but nothing since. I have a few interviews set up at TESOLArabia and was wondering if or whether I was going to hear from these people again. There was a great posting on recruitment at QU. I can't find it. Can it be put back? There was an awful lot of very useful information on it. I wish I'd saved it but it's too late now. There were answers to some of my questions on it. Is there an archive of deleted stuff? Can we get to some of the information that was on it? Much obliged for any help.

I wonder if the QU people are going to contact me, if not I'd appreciate a
no thank you letter. At least you know where you stand and I can get on with my other interview offers.

Harry, since it would seem there are some people on this board who are misleading readers w/ false information about QU. How about coming back on the board to comment on this? After all, you are looking for a job, right? I did send you a PM about a month ago sharing what I knew from someone who actually works at QU, though you never responded. In fact, you never opened the PM despite posting on Dave's again after I sent it. Must be hard keeping on top of all those logins and passwords.

Folks, if we don't hear from Harry again, it's safe to assume that he's a disgruntled employee of QU hoping to throw a wrench in their hiring by creating a negative thread. Harry might even go by another name on this board. I wish the MODs for Dave's wouldn't just lock this thread but delete it, too. It's one thing to come on these boards and air your grievances w/ a reasonable amount of transparency. This sneak crap makes it hard to trust any remotely negative comments about Qatar University.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: