Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible Positions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cameronj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Possible Positions Reply with quote

Greetings!
I have been an E.S.L. teacher for about 8 years in California. I have a B.C.L.A.D, K-12 California Multiple Subject Credential, an M.A. in Bilingual Curriculum and Instruction and I am finishing some prerequisites for my doctoral work by completing my TESL Certificate.

I am aware of some teaching positions with the University of Costa Rica in San Jose. Do you have any suggestions about some other possible jobs in this region? We recently built a house on the Carribean side of the country and I would welcome any jobs on that side near Limon or south.

Pura Vida!

Cameron
Munchen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject: Positions in CR Reply with quote

Hey, Cameron.
I'm sure you know that on the Caribbean side of CR, there is a considerable English speaking population with BWI/Jamaican descent people. I was in Siquirres in '67-'70 in Episcopal Church mission station where I still encountered first generation Jamaicans, all of whom are almost all deceased by this time. The descendents regard themselves as Costa Ricans now and surely bilingual. I did some English teaching on my own with a few Latinos there, but casual volunteer work. There is not much money to make in that area. Was when the trains were the only transportation through a large part of that area, the banana and coffee farms.
With your qualifications, I would certainly look to the University of CR for work. If you need the work to make money, am afraid you will be disappointed. And even at the University, it wouldn't be gangbusters.
Even though I was there in the late '60s, I'm sure despite some changes, a lot remains the same.
I'm thinking of going back for retirement, but fortunately have Uncle Sam helping out now. Hey, might even do some English teaching again. Best of luck.
John Hall

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: You are wanted! Reply with quote

Cameron,

If you are still here in Costa Rica, I know numerous schools here that would love to have an English teacher of your calibre working for them. Of course, most of those places are in or around San Jose, however some of them sometimes have work available in the Guapiles area.

John Hall
[email protected]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: