Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cairo Help!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, there is the detail that CAC requires the appropriate degree and certification. Their foreign hire contracts are one of the highest pays in Egypt... and it pays in dollars. Same with the best pay British schools too.

Just so the OP doesn't think these are an option.

VS
charleen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: maadi housing Reply with quote

duh if you choose to live in DEGLA where all the expats live or old maadi then yes you will pay too much. Yet you can find apartments at a resonable rate. You just need to know how to bargain about the rent and what Egyptians pay...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
duh

Charleen, most expats do not manage to get the deal that Egyptians do-especially if they don't have an Egyptian spouse to help. It's not reasonable to say 'You can live in Maadi on 5000LE" since most expats are thinking Digla, and if they're not thinking Digla they're thinking of a flat that's furnished to a standard that they are accustomed to. Most foreigners can expect to spend at least 2000 LE in Maadi (and that's being really optimistic). Local hires often don't get paid in USD, either. That means if your landlord pegged the rent to the dollar you are at the mercy of the currency when it comes to rent.

As for CAC, we need madhouseminx back on the board to share her experience as a qualified K-12 teacher already living in Cairo, and trying to work as a sub at CAC-not able to scape by w/ enough work. CAC would be ideal, but not a realistic employer to aspire to for the OP.

The OP, who doesn't have much exp or the teaching credentials, would do better to seek out an expat contract w/ employers like Sakkara or Choueifat. Choeuifat pays in USD for expat hires, provides accommodation (way outside the city-but you can afford a flat in town), and pays a reasonable wage for to someone w/ limited experience and credentials. The minimum? BA. Your annual salary would be around $18,500 USD. Somewhere like Sakkara would offer in the range of 3500-4000 LE(not paid in USD). Both employers would offer shared accommodation.
Sadebugo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Cairo Help!! Reply with quote

mcurrie wrote:
Hi. I intend on moving to Cairo sometime this summer to teach English. Unfortunately, I am not a seasoned traveler and have never taught English before, although I have been a TA for other languages. I have a friend who lives there, so she will be able to help me out with cultural information, but what I'm worried about are other things, like attaining a job. I know most of the international schools are out of my reach without a B.Ed, or previous experience. So what I need an opinion on is this: should I just go to Cairo and apply for positions when I get there? Or should I secure a position before I leave? Where do I start? I'm wary of flying half-way around the world with a hope of being hired, but if highly recommended, I won't fear it. I'm open to challenges and change; I just want to know what I'm getting myself into. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Michelle

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but Cairo is a tough place to live especially for someone who is, as you said, inexperienced. I spent six months there as a student and found it difficult, much more difficult than where I currently am. The pollution, traffic, heat, beggars, etc. all eventually got to me. I think there are many other countries easier to break into as a teacher and you should consider all your options.

Sadebugo
Djibouti, Horn of Africa
http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/
fetuskarate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakkara has its ups and downs, but on the whole it's a great way to make a start into Cairo if you are inexperienced. They provide housing in Degla, and the staff and everyone at the school are incredibly supportive. I would agree with the previous poster in that Cairo is a difficult place to adjust if you are not a seasoned traveler, or at least used to different standards of comfort and daily living.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They provide housing in Degla, and the staff and everyone at the school are incredibly supportive

Degla or New Nerco that backs up onto Degla? I don't mean to split hairs, but for those who are familiar w/ Maadi, Degla gives visions of tree lined streets like road 206. I recall that many of Sakarra's flats faced the dead olive orchard that nerco overlooks(perhaps now overlooked). They're also shared accommodation, unless that's changed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: