Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL in Chicago

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cj100

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: ESL in Chicago Reply with quote

Hello out there,

I'm thinking of moving back to Chicago after a stint of several years in the SF Bay Area--can anyone comment on the ESL market in Chicagoland?

I should mention that I have the MA in TESOL as well as several (7ish) years of experience teaching in the US and Mexico. I've done teacher training in the US and Hong Kong and have also enjoyed some curriculum design. My BA is in English (I guess I'm not the most diverse person in the world in terms of my interests and talents!).

I would be particularly interested in ESL in community colleges or academic director positions in language schools or university IEPs. I have a possible longterm goal of getting certified to teach ESL in the public schools. Other possibilites--depending on experience and credentials required--would be working as a publisher's rep or doing materials development.

Grateful for any info or advice that can be provided!

Thanks in advance.
CJ100
J-Pop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: Chicago Reply with quote

I spent a year in Chicago [99-00] &, among other things, taught ESL at a university.

One lasting impression about Chicago: there seemed to be a noticeable abundance of very well qualified--VERY well qualified--people looking for work. It seems that many of these folks came to Chicago with their (equally, or even better, qualified) spouses. IT IS truly COMPETITIVE, or it was, when I was there.

It can be done, of course. Especially (perhaps, maybe) if you can strategically plan on entering the job market at either end of the academic school year--when turnover is more likely to occur--when new programs are starting, old ones ending.

It also helps (surprise, surprise!) if you know someone. Many of the ESL people are quite nice (though busy), so establishing contact is not overly difficult if you plan ahead, do your research, make those phone calls, send those emails--and follow up.

Quote:
Other possibilites--depending on experience and credentials required--would be working as a publisher's rep or doing materials development.

I'm not familiar with these areas.
However, I would not be surprised if these are as competitive as ESL/IEP Teaching & Administration. IMHO: probably others have thought (are thinking?) along the same lines. Again, I would suggest trying to establish some preliminary & tentative contacts--now. Don't wait till you get there, or I am guessing it will take you much longer to get plugged in, unless of course you are lucky!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: