Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Showing up in Chile with no job

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eclectic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Showing up in Chile with no job Reply with quote

and only a BA in English plus 2 years teaching English in Korea. What are the chances of me landing comething decent within 30 days ANYWHERE in CHile that will cover my rent/food bills? What in this case is "decent" in order to break even these days?
Dia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if nobodys answering because your question is kinda too wide ended and depends on circumstances.

The chances of finding a job in 30 days? hard to say. depends on what time of year you show up, how quickly you move and tap into leads and resources, how well you interview, and probably more than any of that...plain old luck.

it could happen, but nobody can guarantee it to you.

whats decent will depend on your lifestyle and what city you end up in, since you said youre willing to go anywhere. i have heard ranges of a little over a thousand US dollars for being decent in Santiago. you could get by on less in other cities. "decent"... does that include entertainment, travel, visa processes, long term stability, do you need health care... etc? its possible to get by with a few hundred thousand pesos a month if you live a simple life. but i think after you get settled your standards may raise a little.

I think its worth a try and chances are you'll at least get by until you find something that you consider decent. good luck
SeHablaIngles

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Showing up in Chile with no job Reply with quote

eclectic wrote:
and only a BA in English plus 2 years teaching English in Korea. What are the chances of me landing comething decent within 30 days ANYWHERE in CHile that will cover my rent/food bills? What in this case is "decent" in order to break even these days?

Hi eclectic,

The pick of the jobs here are on offer NOW until the end of March. That's because the new academic year is kicking off pretty soon. It also coincides with the end of the summer holidays.

I can't speak about outside Santiago but in the capital city you will get work quite easily although not having a TEFL may require some convincing by you.

To live comfortably here and save a bit for trips/slow months, I reckon you need to be earning $600,000 CLP ($1200 USD) per month. The best way to do that is get about 20 hours a week through a school and try to pick up a couple of private students.

If you want some more specifics then contact me on my website or send me a PM.

Hope that helps,

El Profe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: