Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elite College in London - has anyone taught there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Algo5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Elite College in London - has anyone taught there? Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I'm new here, and have only just passed my CELTA, so please forgive me if I ask the occasional stupid question.

I recently received an email from a girl who was on my CELTA course. She started applying for jobs on the day that she received news of her result (a Pass grade), and discovered an ad on Gumtree for this Elite College place (www.elitecollege.com), which has branches in central London, Wimbledon and Kingston. The pay wasn't great (only �7 per hour), but she figured it was worth a try, even if just for the experience.

However, she only ended up staying there for one week, after speaking to another teacher - who had been teaching there for a month, and who told her that the school hadn't been paying its employees. Apparently, they tell you that you'll be paid a month in arrears, and then make loads of excuses for further delays. That, coupled with a very untidy and under-resourced staff room, convinced her that she was better off looking elsewhere.

So I was wondering - do you think she did the right thing in leaving? Has anyone else on here ever taught at Elite College? And are there a lot of (seemingly) dodgy language schools around these days?

Would be interested to know your opinions!
SueH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I passed my CELTA in 2002 I got some short term work at �12 an hour, outside of London.

�7 is taking the piss. You can get the same in London for the most basic of jobs where you get a full 8 hour shift and no prep time or worry. Don't do it, even for the experience.

There seem to be quite a number of dodgy language schools around. I suppose they take minimal investment, hire a few rooms etc, and they seem to attract business people who have no real interest in education. This may just be my impression, but the legitimate schools have expressed concerns about visa mills where students sign on but don't appear (but go off and work instead). I suspect some of those students who work are getting �7 an hour or more!
Dedicated

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Bogus colleges?? Reply with quote

Dear Algo5,

I have to agree wholeheartedly with SueH. �7 per hour is an insult, particularly if you have preparation to do, and would take you below the minimum wage.

Unfortunately, there are an increasing number of dodgy colleges springing up, particularly in London, but authorities are beginning to check them out.

Read these two recent links :
<http://education.guardian.co.uk/further/story/0,,2183804,00.html>
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/7177033.stm>
TheLongWayHome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked there fresh off the CELTA about 5 or so years ago at the Wimbledon branch. I think that then Elite was in its prime. Great DoS, great co-workers, rubbish pay as mentioned but then I was doing it for the experience. I heard that a lot of teachers had left due to not being paid and such. Seems like the school's going under. Try LITE if you're just looking to get some experience.
coledavis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only do �7 an hour to get some experience under your belt, and you may be able to get more elsewhere even as a starter - �11 is better, but they may want some of that initial experience in the sweatshop first. My current school, Edwards (in Ealing) have just taken on new teachers, so don't go rushing there, but they are the sort of place where if you've got a few months experience they'd look at you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: