Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you still save in Qatar?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BM

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Thank you VS Reply with quote

You are right, I have never heard of such things as teachers signing in or out. It is only for factory workers and treating professionals as slaves is not acceptable. I sometimes stay at work until 5 or 6 in order to finish what I have to finish, sometimes i work weekends, it never bothered me because I know I must stay in order to finish but being forced to stay, comon, how do you teachers accept such conditions?
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only ever worked in one educational establishment where you had to sign in and that had 90% turnover at the end of the year.

There is a tendency in the Gulf for managers thinking they are getting value for money by having people hang around the premises doing nothing, though in practise this merely pisses people off, causes them to work less, and makes them spend their office hours posting complaints about the institution on the internet.

word_to_the_wise
is making somewhat bizarre statements. Whilst teachers can be terminated in the 3 month probationary period without comeback everywhere I've worked that has been decided at Managing Director level or higher. After that period terminating somebody mid-contract becomes very difficult. To terminate a teacher in a private school in Kuwait the management would need the OK of the education ministry, and whilst other places make it somewhat easier it is still a major decision.

Perhaps word_to_the_wise could tell us where he works. Sounds like a place, and a person, to steer well clear of.
BM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: to Stephen Johes Reply with quote

[hi
I worked with you at Jubail college in KSA, I heard you are at KFPUM?? how are things over there? are they better?
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BM, PM me and let me know who you are.
Madman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Signing in/out Reply with quote

Here at my school in Qatar staff have to 'clock' in and out of work with a time card which is a bit 'factory'. I may have to buy some blue overalls before I leave here. For fellow Brits it makes me think of 'Chigley' (UK 70's TV puppet show). I keep wondering when the afterschool compulsory dancing begins.

In Abu Dhabi, staff at my last school had to clock in and out with an electronic ID card. Whilst I was at that school if you wanted to go into the Admin building you had to sign in and out and if you went to the Personnel Dept you had to sign in again and state what you were there for! (This overkill was because the school was a diabolical shambles and most of the admin staff needed a damn good beating).
BM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Signing in/out Reply with quote

I think it's our fault, teachers, we should all refuse to work under those conditions. Teachers in gernaral are not rich but all we have is our dignity, take it away from us, we are left with nothing, we become "nothing"...
word_to_the_wise

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong in signing in and out - it's neither unprofessional nor slavish.And that's the final word.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

word_to_the_wise wrote:
There's nothing wrong in signing in and out - it's neither unprofessional nor slavish.And that's the final word.

No, that's your opinion, and perhaps *your* final word, but as you can see, you are very much outnumbered.

VS
word_to_the_wise

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outnumbered yes, but by teachers.Maybe management should have their own forum.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe management should have their own forum.
Doesn't the alumni association of the university you got your MBA from have one?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to start you own forum. This one has always been for teachers.

VS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

word_to_the_wise wrote:
Outnumbered yes, but by teachers.Maybe management should have their own forum.

Well, in the magic kingdom, management is banned to have any type of forum, real or virtual!
thursday12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gettin real expensive ta live here, everythin's goin up, up, up, up
- gas gonna go up soon, some food prices doubled or tripled in the last 6 months so it's real hard fer some people
-lotta people not makin ends meet, if ya don't get housin, yer in real trouble so make sure ya get a job wid accomodation or else big time problem
-traffic big time problem too, lotta jerks on the road.
-accident scene real bad - lotta fatalities
-gotta be a defensive driver or else!!!

Last edited by thursday12 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
thursday12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I work, at QU, ya gotta sign in fer meetins - yer in big trouble if ya skip, ya get a nasty email, lotta people resent bein treated like children,
all the data goes in yer file so ya gotta be careful.

no punch card but some people checkin ta see if yer in yer class
the campus is huge and ya jest can't always get ta class on time - roadworks and parkin problems and classes far away from parkin lots so real problem gettin round. need ta get some golf carts - wud make life easier.

too bad education turnin corporate
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everywhere I've worked you sign a piece of paper for meetings. The question is how many: more than two a week is abusive; one a semester is Shangri-La.

Checking you make class is normal, though the usual check is that the students report you if you're late (so that they get a relief teacher). If there is insufficient time to get from one class to another then raise it with the appropriate authority so they change the timetable to accommodate the problem (or at least are aware of the problem).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: