Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Abu Dhabi University
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleo

No problem-- I guess it is a good thing that I don't use my laptop in my lap!! Shocked

ka-CHING

From the job board it looks as though quite a few places are also hiring for 2nd semester this year, so you may hear sooner. I hope you have an MA so you are in the running for the better places. Good Luck!!

VS
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gather, then, that no one has any further information about ADU.

Well, we'll see. I've been shortlisted for ADU, but also other schools.

The complaints may be nothing more than the usual growing pains associated with a start-up operation. I agree that new institutions do indeed have growing pains, but I've been teaching for over a decade and have academic qualifications (including an MEd in TESOL) and I can handle mere growing pains. It could be exciting to get in on the ground floor of a new school and establish a program, and I could do a good job at that. It isn't something I'd recommend to a newbie, though.

I'd appreciate some guidelines about contract usuals in the Emirates. What does a typical offer include in terms of duties, salary, and benefits? I remember the earlier discussion about the salaries ADU was offering and that they were low for the region. What's normal?

Also, regarding the post in the Job Information Journal, is it usual for a new teacher to arrive with a pre-contract document or the actual contract? In the countries where I've worked previously (Japan and Korea), a signed contract is required for the visa, and it's illegal to teach without the visa. Is that also true in the emirates?
Sadebugo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Yikes! Reply with quote

I just got an e-mail from ADU this morning saying they want to do a phone interview tomorrow. I'm a little leery about this because they seem too desperate. I sent them a CV via e-mail a month ago and then other materials through regular mail a few weeks ago. Although they hadn't received the latter materials by the deadline they gave me, they still want to interview me. I had already decided to not pursue it further after reading the JIJ on Dave's a few days ago.

I'll send them an e-mail declining the interview later today. I have other options. Even if the negative reports are not true, there are so many other opportunities in EFL, I think I'll play the percentages.

Good luck to others applying!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ka-CHING

Duties? I guess I'd say that they are to be in the workplace when they say and to teach what and where assigned. Smile I never really paid a bit of attention to what the contract said or even if it did to be honest. The fact is that in the Middle East, whatever the contract may say, they win. Most of the few examples that I know of contract abuse have been private colleges or military. Ministry contracts are usually fine (HCT, ZU, UAEU).

Salary? In the Emirates with an MA + experience, I wouldn't consider any job that paid less than $30,000 + free furnished housing + a free or reasonably priced medical plan + free airline tickets + education allowance for at least 2 children. (shipping is rarely paid anymore in the Gulf)

I don't recall ever having a contract beforehand, but usually some kind of pre-contract document specifying pay and benefits and such. I actually arrived in Abu Dhabi with nothing in writing. My hiring had been last minute over the phone and I had been traveling thereafter. But, it was apparently not unusual, as the person at the visa line (it was like 2 or 3:00 am and only 4 people got off the plane) sent me through the line to a window where someone was waiting with the papers for me. I was actually more worred about getting on the flight from Thailand, but no one asked for proof of a visa to enter the UAE. Surprised

VS
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadebugo,
Have you definitely decided to decline the interview? If you like, email me through my profile and we can compare notes.

VS,
Thank you for the information. The salary & benefits tally with what I've learned elsewhere. I'll see what they offer...the duties part is more important to me. The main attraction about this situation is the possibility of being able to establish a program from its outset, but that is something I'd need authority for. Authority, plus an administration that lets eduators make the educational decisions.

As to the contract versus pre-contract issue, well, if that's the usual practice, then that's what's normal. You got your actual visa at the airport when you arrived? Wow.

But hey, I have a fairly high tolerance for ambiguity. Cool

Last edited by Ka-CHING! on Sat Nov 22, 2003 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ka-CHING

Yup, got that visa on arrival for that job. At my last job, I just came in on the tourist visa that was already in my passport and the employer changed it over.

Definitely don't forget to pack that tolerance for ambiguity Smile next to your patience and sense of humor.

Authority and an administration that lets educators make educational decisions --- not knowing the administration of this place, if I were to have to make a bet - I would expect not to find much of either of these things. But, hey -- I'm somewhat of a pessimist. Another reason that I have stayed away from new places. Smile

You sound much braver than I--- These would be the things to talk about at an interview and see how they respond - and read between the lines.

VS
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS,

"Read between the lines," yes. And I have two full pages of questions for the interview so there won't be any lack of things to talk about. Razz

As for my bravery, well, I survived six years in Korea, including four years in "hogwan hell." I'm sure I could be faced with worse situations than what I've already experienced, but it would take a certain amount of determination and creativity on the part of my employer. The stories I could tell...

But everyone has a different level of tolerance, for ambiguity and other things. Mere disorganisation doesn't bother me if I'm allowed to organise my own little corner. That's the main question here - will ADU allow me to organise this CALL program? If the answer is yes, then it's a good opportunity for me.

I'll post more details after the interview.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We wait with bated breath--- Smile

Good Luck

VS
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS,

Wow, you're quick. Razz

If you're still online, what's the usual number of teaching hours per week in the UAE?
Sadebugo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ka-CHING!"]Sadebugo,
Have you definitely decided to decline the interview? If you like, email me through my profile and we can compare notes.

Ka-CHING:

No problem. Probably like you, I saw the ad on Dave's and applied through their website form. They immediately contacted me and asked me to send some supporting documents. I did this (through courier), but they claim they never received them. Between sending the documents and finding out they hadn't arrived, I read this thread and the posting on the JIJ. That convinced me not to pursue the matter further.

The other day, they e-mailed me again. They said that even though they hadn't received my materials, they still wanted to interview me. Red flags went up at this point as I realized they are probably in urgent need of replacements. I wrote them and told them that I'm not interested anymore.

I realize that one posting on the JIJ does not a bad employer make. However, as someone pointed out early, the accusations were very specific and if true, make the job intolerable for me. Also, the method of hiring indicates that they are in a rush to fill empty spots and are not being particularly discriminating. My final concern is that the position seems to be for the language institute in the university. In a university setting, this usually means that you don't have the same perks and privileges as faculty do.

I'm staying put at my current university in Asia.

Hope this helps.
Sadebugo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: An Addendum Reply with quote

Well, even though I advised against it, ADU HR called today and left a message on my answering machine. They indicated that they had received my previous message, but wanted me to reconsider. I never heard of a UAE university acting so desperate. That confirms my decision.
manonatrain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: you are right Reply with quote

this is a great thread.

I would say that the newbies to the ME are reading the situation
pretty accuratley.

Expect that my currently SCHOOL also lost my documents originally, sent
via Courier. mmmmmmm

I think they are generally badly organized and pushy. Not a sign of desperation nessisarily (shit spelling?) damn...losing my mind...anyway.
This is common in the ME.

But not the rule. Rolling Eyes

Patience will be a word you will become familiar with...admin, housing, students, phone, internet, meetings, weather hot, tires melting, patient,
speak quietly and carry a .....
Sadebugo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: you are right Reply with quote

[quote="manonatrain"]this is a great thread.

I would say that the newbies to the ME are reading the situation
pretty accuratley.

Expect that my currently SCHOOL also lost my documents originally, sent
via Courier. mmmmmmm

Actually, speaking for myself, I spent three years in Saudi Arabia and the organization was great. Of course, I worked for a Western military contractor so that might have had something to do with it. Had I worked directly for the Saudis, it would have been scary.
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, had the interview. It went well, I thought.

Sadebugo was correct in thinking that ADU is looking for teachers for the language institute. Classes for the university are still being established, though, and new hires will ultimately be teaching undergraduate and graduate courses as well, but beginning with just the LI.

The panel (There were four people on the other end of the phone, including the LI director.) was frank about the realities of working in a newly established school. Starting up an organisation of this size is a huge undertaking, and facilities are still being developed. I didn't notice any pushiness or desperation. They asked me about my experience and qualifications; I asked them about the uni and what responsibilities and benefits I'd have if I worked there. We discussed matters for about forty-five minutes, then they told me they'd get back to me within the week and we said goodbye.

I'll know how "accuratley" I'm reading the situation if and when I arrive on campus as a teacher. This much I will say: the panel's grammar was better than Manonatrain's.
Sadebugo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best of luck to you. I hope it works out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: