Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP!!! HCT VIDEO-INTERVIEW???????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lionbrian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: HELP!!! HCT VIDEO-INTERVIEW??????? Reply with quote

Dear UAE Vets:

I would highly appreciate you help if you can give me any input regarding HCT video-interview: How does it work? What kind of questions beside the usual ones?

Please be informed that I have never experienced an interview with Arabs before.

Thanks a bunch in advance!!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lionbrian

Since no one with experience seems to be around - I think that HCT is still on semester break - I will tell you what little I know from people who have done it. I worked at HCT a few years back and didn't have to go through this process.

I do believe that there is another thread down below that talks about their interview, so you might want to wander through and see what you can find. They like people who can walk the walk and talk the talk. They are into things like learner autonomy and the usual EFL jargon and if you can quote sources, all the better. Be professional and look professional.

Unless things have changed lately, by the end of this interview, you may still have never experienced an interview with an Arab. The administration of HCT is mostly westerners and they usually do the interviewing.

Good Luck Smile

VS
Pilot in Command

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LionBrian,

I had a video conference interview with HCT in Dec 2000. It was certainly a new experience for me. I was alone in a conference room at a facility about 7 miles from my home. I viewed my interview committee (3 or 4 people as I recall) through about a 35 inch TV monitor. I can confirm that for my interview only the two westerners asked me questions.

I can't remember the interview in detail, though I'd second that you should dress professionally and behave professionally (I'm sure you already planned on that!). I do recall being asked about my basic philosophy regarding providing an effective learning environment in the classroom. Also, be prepared to answer this question: Have you ever found it difficult to get along with a particular colleague in one of your past school settings, and if so, how did you handle it? Finally, be prepared to share the following:

Your greatest strength
Your greatest weakness
An example of an approach, method, or use of material that you found particularly effective in the classroom.

Hope this helps, and the best of luck in the interview!

By the way, the interviewers were quite friendly. Oh, they contacted me about three weeks later stating that a recruiter at one of their school locations was interested in talking with me about a position in Aug 2001. However, by then I had accepted a position with a company in S.A. beginning in Mar, so I had to turn it down. I asked them to keep me in their active file for the future, but I haven't heard from them since (though they've posted jobs several times!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: