Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will a California Teaching Credential or MA Help More?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebooktrial0001

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Will a California Teaching Credential or MA Help More? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I have about two years of full-time experiences in ESL. Most of this would be short-term contracts, two lay-offs, and interrupted military service; but, the full time experiences adds up to two years.

Anyway, I'm thinking of either getting a California Teaching Credential (for about $10K), a DELTA, or a Master's in Education.

I'm currently in Libya and spent 6 months in Saudi.

I'd like it to open up some doors at Saudi Aramco, Gulf Arab countries with money (say Saudi, Kuwait, Oman, UAE, Qatar), etc. for good money.

Is there any way you can tell me what would be the best of my options to get a well-paying job in a decent environment (i.e. not like LVSA in Saudi)?

For example, could someone say "getting a multiple subject California teaching credential + 3 more years of experience would ....".

Thanks
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at Teach Away's site for requirements to teach in k-12 and international schools in this region. They're a reputable recruiter for licensed teachers. However, for teaching adults, an MA in TESOL, Applied Ling, or similar degree (not English Lit. or Education) will open more doors for you in this region. A Delta won't substitute for a related MA. Anyway, whatever you choose, be aware you'll also need several years of post-degree experience to compete for the better jobs.
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will slightly echo what Nomad Soul has stated...

If you want to teach at a school (K-12), get your teaching credentials along with a CELTA. If you want to work at a government university and teach college-age students, get the MA in TESOL, plus a CELTA.

I would get a CELTA for both cases and not a DELTA. The CELTA is a cheaper and quicker to get.

You wanted me to pull this quote for you:

"Getting a multiple subject California teaching credential + 3 more years of experience would ...." ...get your foot in the door with a public/private school in the region.

Keep in mind that most universities require at least three years of experience AFTER you have 100% completed your last degree.
ebooktrial0001

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

1. I do have a CELTA. When looking at the information, interesting enough, I found that month per month, the CELTA and DELTA cost about the same.

The one month CELTA that I took in Korea was ~$2000 in fees, the DELTA is about two months and $4000 in fees.

In the end, the CELTA gave me a lot of utility. When I needed a job, within 24 hours I was able to get decently paying job in Saudi Arabia; I could not have done that without a universal standard of competence like a CELTA.

2. I will look into getting a Master's in TESOL. I know University of Southern California, etc. all have programs. Let's see if the price is right.

3. As you can see from my other posts, I doubt this career is the right one for me. So far, I've lived in for foreign countries and the cross-cultural experience and social maturity have been great for me. However, I'm not sure I get energized by the technical aspects of the job the same way others do.

(i.e. I feel more energized behind a computer or doing one-on-one tutoring, rather than being in a classroom).

So, I think I should transition out of this field, circumstances permitting. But, I certainly am tempted by university jobs, Aramco, etc.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebooktrial0001 wrote:
As you can see from my other posts, I doubt this career is the right one for me. So far, I've lived in for foreign countries and the cross-cultural experience and social maturity have been great for me. However, I'm not sure I get energized by the technical aspects of the job the same way others do.

(i.e. I feel more energized behind a computer or doing one-on-one tutoring, rather than being in a classroom).

So, I think I should transition out of this field, circumstances permitting. But, I certainly am tempted by university jobs, Aramco, etc.

This is why you've been hesitant to move forward in TESOL. Instead of spending more money and time on credentials that 1) don't excite you, and 2) will only lock you into one career field, why not consider an MA in Educational/Instructional Technology or Instructional Systems Design since you like computers. It will open way more doors for you internationally in business, education, and government environments.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is Yes, Yes, Yes.

Oh I didn't read the original title and post good enough. For international schools licensure and experience in your own country is a must. For universities an MA is more important. I would think it would be better to get a license because the international schools offer a lot more opportunity, I think. However I don't know for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: