Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My situation...HELP!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laing88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: My situation...HELP!! Reply with quote

I am a complete newbie in the ESL world. I am 19 years old with no teaching experience and no quals save my HSC. I am passionate at travelling, and I am certain that I would love teaching overseas. But I have a commitment at university next year. Here is my question: Would it be worth completing my CELTA (I have been accepted) and teaching for a period of around six months before uni? I would really value the experience, but I have negligable cash for supporting myself. Would it be better for me to wait 5 years, get a masters, and then get into ESL? or would I stand a chance now, and in which country??
I look forward with any responses. I am of the impression that China is the country best suited for me atm, is there any short term work available that could supprt me with flights and accomodations, or is that asking too much??
thnx, laing
Mike_2007

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

While a year out and a trip abroad would certainly be an enjoyable adventure, my only worry would be that you might like it too much and subsequently find it hard to get back to the long grind of studying. Travelling and teaching overseas can be kind of addictive and I'm pretty sure if you did go for six month you'd find that it wasn't enough and you'd be posting a 'shall I stay and postpone uni till later?' post in about a year from now.

If you seriously think that overseas teaching is the thing for you, then I would do uni, do your CELTA, work hard, save some cash (you'll need it for you first few months abroad) and get well-organised for a job right after you graduate. With a degree and a CELTA you'd have a pretty good shot at landing a well-paid teaching job almost anywhere in the world, plus you'll have the quals to fall back on if teaching doesn't turn out to be your thing.

In the meantime, you might like to think about which country you want to teach in and just head off there for a holiday instead and formulate some impressions.

I can understand your impatience though, but with the right pieces of paper and prep ELF can be a rewarding experience. IF you really think you can just do a six-month 'taster' before you head off to uni, then I say go for it! It'll be something you won't forget quickly!

Cheers,
Mike
kingmalka

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liang,

I am also 19. I currently teach in Suzhou, China and am having an absolutely amazing time. You won't be able to find much without a college degree, especially outside of China, but there is always something that can be found (especially if you are handsome and know how to smile).

If you aren't motivated to go to university and specifically if you don't have the money, then don't go. What does it matter if you get your degree at 21, or 25? Experience some life first. It will help you pull more girls later on anyway.

Another thing; finding a 6-month contract will be a little difficult. You'll most likely have to sign for 1 year. Obviously you can leave whenever you want, but officially you'd be working for 1 year. I'd be more than happy to help you out ... Email is [email protected] if you have questions.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really need an MA to start properly. Just s four-year degree + CELTA or equivalent qualification. An MA comes later, if you find you love the work and want to move up in the field.

Your age pretty much knocks you out of the market in Europe - and you definitely won't get flight or accomodation paid for there.
Anda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Six month contracts in China pay a one way airfare after six months not before you start. Most provide accommodation.

If you want to travel you could think of teaching English and at the same time doing a Uni course by distance education. Many Australian Universities are linked here in China to places where you can sit exams.
chrisms86

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingmalka wrote:
Experience some life first. It will help you pull more girls later on anyway.

I got a kick out of this. Not just because you think you'll be a chick-magnet when you return, but the general idea that people will care you lived in China. I think a lot of people who haven't been abroad think they would come back and it'd be seen as some sort of accomplishment. It won't. In general nobody cares, aside from the occasional set of questions about the place, nobody looks at you in awe.

A $500 plane ticket gets you to China, it isn't something to be proud of. Point being you should go abroad for yourself and nobody else--not for the respect of your friends, your family, or future sexual partners.

Sorry if I looked too much into this one statement, I just see myself a couple of years ago in what you said there (I'm 21). Fortunately for me it wasn't other people I cared about doing it for, I just like living abroad. Others will be setting themselves up for disappointment if they think that way, though.
kingmalka

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said it would help the guy, not turn him into Brad ****ing Pitt. Girls are attracted to adventurers, and if you haven't realized that yet you're probably not using it properly.

Regardless, that's obviously not the only reason OP should come here ... nor any reason at all to be honest. Like you said, if he wants to travel abroad he should be doing it only for himself.
chrisms86

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingmalka wrote:
I said it would help the guy, not turn him into Brad ****ing Pitt. Girls are attracted to adventurers, and if you haven't realized that yet you're probably not using it properly.

Regardless, that's obviously not the only reason OP should come here ... nor any reason at all to be honest. Like you said, if he wants to travel abroad he should be doing it only for himself.

I didn't insinuate that you said he'd become Brad Pitt. Girls may or may not be attracted to adventurers, but going to China to teach English does not make you an adventurer. It makes you a person who bought a plane ticket.

The only reason I'm forcing the issue is that I think the most important thing for anyone going abroad to consider is the reality, to not romanticize it. Because after a month that great feeling you get of just being somewhere different wears off and it is down to the actual lifestyle to determine your happiness.
chrisms86

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to the OP, don't teach abroad. Now that you have 3-4 years of university ahead, you have the perfect chance to see the world--study abroad.

I don't know how you do it in Australia, but for me to study abroad in Thailand for a year was cheaper than studying at home (including airfare and visas and whatnot). The tuition at the university I went to in Bangkok was US$1000/semester, full-time. Now I made the mistake of going through a program that doubled that price, but if you go independently you can get a great deal (just arrange it with an Aussie university so you can transfer the credits back).
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching in China is getting a bit harder, many places now require you to have a BA, but if you're foreign looking or willing to accept lower pay you could find something.

Teaching abroad with no experience or quals won't get you high paying jobs, and the CELTA is expensieve. YOu could try getting a position without a cert, then get one later. Just keep in mind that it's hard to go back to school once you've been out for a while. It's even harder if you're working a couple of jobs and studying. I'm only 25, have been teaching for 5 years, and am working on my MA, I've got no motivation to study after coming home beat from teaching. Then there's keeping house on tiop of that.

China's probably you're best bet, YOu mgiht be able to save a bit, teach some privates and online in addition to a school, then do a cert programme. BUt sooner or later, you'll have to get your BA. And maybe a teaching cert if you want to teach in proper schools. If you don't you'll never move up. There are heaps of summer positions in CHina and Taiwan, lots pay airfare, but you'll be teachign summer camps, which are exhausting, espcailly if there's no AC

chrisms86 wrote:
kingmalka wrote:
Experience some life first. It will help you pull more girls later on anyway.

I got a kick out of this. Not just because you think you'll be a chick-magnet when you return, but the general idea that people will care you lived in China. I think a lot of people who haven't been abroad think they would come back and it'd be seen as some sort of accomplishment. It won't. In general nobody cares, aside from the occasional set of questions about the place, nobody looks at you in awe.

Especially China, it's a lovely country, I love it, but there are some strange teachers there. The reaction I got when I got back, was "do they have toilets" People think of it as a step down, not a step up. At least that was my experience. Peru¿s a third world too, but everyone breathed a sigh of relife when I left China and immigrated to Peru.

People looked at me as if I were crazy when I told them I was in China.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give kingmalka a break. He's 19. Shocked Or maybe 20 by now.
No need to burst any bubbles; time and experience take care of that.

I personally think the suggestion about studying abroad to finish your uni degree is the ideal advice. Travel, preparing to teach, and finishing your degree - it's the whole package.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

couldn't agre more, just don't go abroad to party and meet girls.
laing88

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Thanks everyone!! Reply with quote

Your replies were great.. I'll look into distance ed. ATM china looks the way to go, even if it is low paid work it will still be a great experience. Thanks kingmalka for the hot tip Very Happy i'll get back to you as soon as i find out what im doing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: