Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

decent CELTA course?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esperanza2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: decent CELTA course? Reply with quote

I'm looking around for a decent CELTA course taught by qualified and professional trainers. I'm willing to do it anywhere in Europe, but preferably in the UK or Ireland, and during the summer period.
TheLongWayHome

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mine at St. Giles College in Brighton. Good trainers, nice place to do it. No complaints here. That was 5 years ago though.
coledavis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: CELTA Reply with quote

Almost snap. I trained at St Giles at Highgate in north London. Late 1995. Excellent trainers; I believe that one of them is still there.
chesh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: CELTA Reply with quote

I did my CELTA in Sevilla, Spain. It was a tough course but we had a lot of fun, made new friends and learnt a lot too. On top of all that the weather was beautiful and so was the city. That was a year ago now.
Phil_b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite having a rent-free parents home to stay at in London, I found it cheaper to do my CELTA at IH Lisbon (incl flights, accomodation for a month etc.) than to do it in London (and probably most places in the UK, to be honest).
BELS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any chance of a Brit getting either the celta or Trinity course subsidised in price by our government Smile

I'm surprised you can get it much cheaper in Lisbon, I thought it was about �900 no matter where you went. It's about �900 in Moscow for Celta, and no Trinity to be found.
SueH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BELS wrote:
Is there any chance of a Brit getting either the celta or Trinity course subsidised in price by our government Smile

Yes. Smile

I retrained from IT and as I was unemployed and on benefit got it paid for. Not sure whether the regs have changed. I did it part-time which helped in the background reading I did, but Parkinsons Law certainly operated with a vengeance.
BELS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SueH wrote:
BELS wrote:

Yes. Smile

I retrained from IT and as I was unemployed and on benefit got it paid for. Not sure whether the regs have changed. I did it part-time which helped in the background reading I did, but Parkinsons Law certainly operated with a vengeance.

That's interesting, I have seen some colleges offering TEFL courses subsidised, but never CELTA or Trinity. Do you have CELTA or Trinity or is this another TEFL. If it isn't, it would still be interesting if employers accept it as this equivelent they always state in their employment ads.
BELS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also must presume that if you can't take a CELTA or Trinity course away from where you live, that the total cost of the course is going to be a small fortune to many. An in return for completing this course a lucrative career in TEFL Smile
coledavis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking from a British perspective, our Trinity/CELTA courses are not subsidised. So, really, you decide if you want to study where you live, with the stability this entails, and also the experience - useful or otherwise - of teaching to a multilingual cohort. Or do you want to study in another country on one of these 'deals'?
coledavis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking from a British perspective, our Trinity/CELTA courses are not subsidised. So, really, you decide if you want to study where you live, with the stability this entails, and also the experience - useful or otherwise - of teaching to a multilingual cohort. Or do you want to study in another country on one of these 'deals'?
SueH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was a CELTA. It's not subsidised per se, but it was regarded as employment training when I happened to be made redundant.

The multi-lingual aspect coledavis refers to was useful. A different dynamic from single language groupings, but giving a clue as to how various language/cultural backgrounds learn/interract.
lolwhites

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CELTA, and later DELTA, in the UK and paid for them by taking out Career Development Loans. Not as good as Government funding but better than an overdraft.
BELS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is, why is it not subsidised. It's the same price as what internationals pay. et our government want's to expand on this idea of TEFL. Our government claims it's big for our import and export.And they are asking for our response. Wl here it is. Why is CELTA/TRINITY not subsidised and has no grants when other professional courses are subsididised. Gordon Brown is in The USA at this moment stating the importance of TEFL and that we must unite to make English even more greater than it is, and make it available to all. It's big busineess. and recognised TEFL training should be freely available to alls Brits, if our government is so keen on us as they claim. But let's cut out the so named back packers, let's make it a profession as it deserves. And let's raise the fees so we have a decent salary.
BELS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lolwhites wrote:
I did my CELTA, and later DELTA, in the UK and paid for them by taking out Career Development Loans. Not as good as Government funding but better than an overdraft.

Thanks, good info. I haven't got a delta. But I'm looking into a distance delta.

I still do believe our govenment could do more to help us, as they do claim to be very interested at the moment, but they are doing nought.

Is it all talk and no action as usual? Yes it is
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: