Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Building six new cities for the world cup.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiganer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Building six new cities for the world cup. Reply with quote

Do you think this will mean more ESL jobs in Qatar? I imagine they are going to need to populate the six cities with people from all over the world and the lingua franca will be English (I imagine).
millie18

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of the people involved in construction will probably be from the subcontinent and a large number will be illiterate in their own language, let alone English.

ESL is for firstly nationals - of which there are a limited number, secondly for other GCC nationals and in private schools for nationals of the sub continent (who usually higher bilingual teachers from their home countries - they're cheaper to hire).

If you're looking for lots of new opportunities, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed, especially in the next 5 - 8 years minimum.
wiganer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

millie18 wrote:
most of the people involved in construction will probably be from the subcontinent and a large number will be illiterate in their own language, let alone English.

ESL is for firstly nationals - of which there are a limited number, secondly for other GCC nationals and in private schools for nationals of the sub continent (who usually higher bilingual teachers from their home countries - they're cheaper to hire).

If you're looking for lots of new opportunities, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed, especially in the next 5 - 8 years minimum.

Question - who do you think they will house in those brand spanking new cities? Who will they want to attract? It is not going to be the people involved in the construction.

I am aware that this is a long term project - thanks for your input.
millie18

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people who will be living in those cities will be expats who already speak to a certain standard of English, otherwise they wouldn't be getting jobs in Qatar in any significant number. You'd be better off going to their home country(ies) and teaching them English to the standard where they can get a job in Qatar.
wiganer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

millie18 wrote:
The people who will be living in those cities will be expats who already speak to a certain standard of English, otherwise they wouldn't be getting jobs in Qatar in any significant number. You'd be better off going to their home country(ies) and teaching them English to the standard where they can get a job in Qatar.

I have a BA in Linguistics/TEFL and MA TESOL and over 10 years experience - I am sure I could get a job in Qatar tomorrow - thanks for putting me in the picture about where to get a job. Wink

I personally see Qatar going the way of Saudi Arabia and UAE where there are already thousands of expats with an excellent command of English but guess what? There is also a high demand for English teachers!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The demand in Qatar will always be small as the Qatari population is very small and they constitute nearly all of the target students.

VS
Geronimo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"DOHA: The number of school students in Qatar has increased eight times over the past three decades
and an increasing number of Qatari students now opt to study in private schools,
according to a recent study released by the Permanent Population Committee
."

Have you seen the front page lead story in today's "The Peninsula", wiganer ?
If not, here's the link...
http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/qatar/146830-more-qatari-kids-go-to-pvt-schools.html

Geronimo
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The higher education sector has also witnessed rapid growth over the past three decades. The number of students rose from 2,000 in 1980 to more than 8,500 in 2008, with an annual increase of five percent. "

As I said... a very small number.

VS
millie18

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't understand your question - it never mentioned that you were actively looking for work. As you say, you have the correct qualifications, however, the market is small and will remain small (unless Qataris either start having substantial numbers of children, or large numbers of non-English speaking expats are recruited who want to learn English).

The former means you'll have to wait at least 6 years for those children to grow to school age, the latter, probably subsistence living at best.

Good luck with the avenues open to EFL teachers in Qatar with the better employers at present.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: